An American Makita Charger in Thailand

HeijoshinCool

A decade or so ago I bought some Makita cordless tools in Japan and brought them back to the States where I used them heavily for a number of years. Never a problem.

I am looking at the latest 18v Lithium Ion battery for all new tools. If I buy here in the States and bring back to LOS, will I have the same experience?

Other than the charger is DC, literature says nothing about voltage or hertz. It does say this:

The Makita Rapid Optimum Charger communicates with the battery’s built-in chip throughout the charging process to optimize battery life by actively controlling current, voltage and temperature.

There is a 12v adaptor available, for charging in a vehicle. Alas, I only have a scooter.....

25 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I am looking at the latest 18v Lithium Ion battery for all new tools. If I buy here in the States and bring back to LOS, will I have the same experience?

Other than the charger is DC, literature says nothing about voltage or hertz.

You need to look at the charger.

It almost certainly won’t function here. Mine is 220v~240v 50Hz~60Hz. But chargers are easily available so just buy one designed for the majority of the world and sell your American ones or just buy the naked tools and get batteries and charger here. That would be the best idea as you are strictly limited on the number and power of batteries you can carry (only 2 and under 5 AH) and they must be in your cabin bag.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You need to look at the charger.

It almost certainly won’t function here. Mine is 220v~240v 50Hz~60Hz. But chargers are easily available so just buy one designed for the majority of the world and sell your American ones or just buy the naked tools and get batteries and charger here. That would be the best idea as you are strictly limited on the number and power of batteries you can carry (only 2 and under 5 AH) and they must be in your cabin bag.

I ran into a naked tool once on Sukhumvit Soi 22. He was fully charged. Glad I wore sneakers, not flip-flops.

Anyway, that's a good idea. I'll just buy the tool.....

No doubt batteries I buy in LOS will fit, right?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

No doubt batteries I buy in LOS will fit, right?

You should be able to get the batteries and chargers here Makita being a global brand and all that.

The charger will tell you what input voltage it likes, it's possible they are "universal" like laptop power supplies.

Do check with your airline about bringing batteries on board, IIRC there was an exemption for tool batteries but don't recall what the requirements were.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

You should be able to get the batteries and chargers here Makita being a global brand and all that.

The charger will tell you what input voltage it likes, it's possible they are "universal" like laptop power supplies.

Do check with your airline about bringing batteries on board, IIRC there was an exemption for tool batteries but don't recall what the requirements were.

Actually have been shopping for Makita Hedge Trimmer last few days....Batteries/Chargers available on Lazada no issues

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Thanks.

I believe the chargers are indeed universal. So I'll buy two batteries and two chargers and the rest of the tools, tool only. Makita here is about 1/3 of the cost in LOS.

Airline allows two batteries on checked luggage if the batteries are inserted in the tool. Seems weird, but that's the rule. I would think not in the tool would be safer.

I also have an Aurora HO slot car set I want to bring. Been 55 years since I used it. The power packs are 120v, 50/60 hz in, and 16 volts out DC, so I guess if I get a step down that will work fine?

Lastly, that mid-70s Pioneer stereo I started a thread on a month ago  is 120v/60hz. That should also work with a step down, right? I won't bring the turntable, too much trouble.

Sounds like a plan ^^^. 

The amp and slot car set should be just fine on 50Hz with a step-down. Do make arrangements so they can't accidentally be plugged into a local outlet. 

You should be able to get a "proper" turntable here from somewhere like The Analog Shop (they were in Fortune Town, no idea if they are still trading), there's also a place in Zeer which looks like it might be promising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Actually have been shopping for Makita Hedge Trimmer last few days....Batteries/Chargers available on Lazada no issues

Yeah, except what I see on there is counterfeit. There is an authorized Makita dealer in BKK that I have used and their tools are authentic, but pricey. No way a cordless Makita drill, on Lazada, is $35 US.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Sounds like a plan ^^^. 

The amp and slot car set should be just fine on 50Hz with a step-down. Do make arrangements so they can't accidentally be plugged into a local outlet. 

You should be able to get a "proper" turntable here from somewhere like The Analog Shop (they were in Fortune Town, no idea if they are still trading), there's also a place in Zeer which looks like it might be promising.

Ya know, I just love to sit and look at that Pioneer receiver. Don't even need to listen to it. It is simply a work of art to behold....especially in the dark, with the glow from the tuning window.

Maybe I'll get a turntable, probably not.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

They aren’t 

59 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I believe the chargers are indeed universal.

The are not as I posted in my first reply. The charger here is 220v ~ 240v 50/60 it is a Makita charger

54 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Yeah, except what I see on there is counterfeit.

There are counterfeit and real. The counterfeit is easily checked by price. There are real batteries that are real but with the wrong value printed on the side

59 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Airline allows two batteries on checked luggage if the batteries are inserted in the tool. Seems weird, but that's the rule.

No it is not.
There is no requirement that the batteries be in the tool and it’s extremely likely that they would be confiscated if they were as a security risk. 
If I were a TSA inspector and you had a drill with batteries it would not be permitted on the plane. The drill in your checked bag and batteries with you OK but any live power tool, no chance, no way.

I can virtually guarantee that no battery power tool will ever be allowed in hand baggage, it’s just too easy to have a group of people fly; 1 has the drill, 1 has batteries, 1 has drill bits, 1 has screwdriver bits. There you have a total disaster.

If you are lucky the power tool will be handed to the airline staff to be returned after the flight. But for the TSA I would bet it would at best be confiscated, at worst you could go on a ‘no fly list’ as a security risk.

years ago on a Thai domestic flight I had a corded power tool in my baggage despite it being corded so impossible to be used on the flight the blade was separated and given to the flight crew who returned it at my destination, I don’t remember if the tool was also given to the crew as it was in about 2005

Spare batteries for portable electronic devices (including metal devices) containing lithium metal or lithium ion cells or batteries carried for personal use.  

Must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch).

Each spare battery must not exceed the following:

• lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 grams;
    or
  • lithium ion batteries, a watt-hour rating of not more than 100 Wh.

The requirement for the batteries to be in original retail packages is common, the being able to be taped is not certain for every airline

also the cost of genuine batteries and charger here are little different 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If I were a TSA inspector and you had a drill with batteries it would not be permitted on the plane. The drill in your checked bag and batteries with you OK but any live power tool, no chance, no way.

That's real interesting because I got that from a TSA site.

It also stated that if not in a tool in checked baggage, then it could only be brought on board in carry-on.

I believe the charger/battery has a chip that regulates current. We'll see once I plug it in.....stay away from Trat in the meantime.

Just now, HeijoshinCool said:

I believe the charger/battery has a chip that regulates current. We'll see once I plug it in.....stay away from Trat in the meantime.

It will have a rating plate on the bottom which indicates the supply voltage range. Even if they are 120V they will work just fine with a transformer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

It also stated that if not in a tool in checked baggage, then it could only be brought on board in carry-on.

Virtually all batteries today are lithium ion batteries, there have been lithium ion battery fires the requirement for spare batteries to be hand carried is because of the fire risk.

• Like 1

Chargers for power tools are not likely to be universal. I have had this exact problem in the past..

Also, a quick search for a random Makita charger tells me they are not.

Capture1.PNG.f4b815eee61af931c53d03d2bb212436.PNG

Try to get an Asian/Euro model charger. Makita is great stuff, i will never buy anything else. Compact, powerful and it lasts forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW here is a genuine makita battery

371B7521-B03C-426F-8B45-D057E64A72FA.thumb.jpeg.201a7039d4d9d43b2ccf650f6c897d29.jpeg

here is a battery that is a less expensive but precisely equivalent it isn’t fake and is advertised as ‘fits Makita’ not is Makita. The only fake is the ‘6.0Ah’ as it’s a 3.0Ah

48B4DC23-216C-4C3B-8785-BB35DF089745.thumb.jpeg.b4c6c1eee9a4ae1048f551acd3212a4d.jpeg

Here is the Makita charger with its voltage plate20D84D7D-8683-41E3-B23E-516FF25861EB.jpeg.fe81bd7e23bfe3022cde8d319341d5c4.jpegC7CC7311-9C53-4A3D-8EA0-5E121AFAD27B.jpeg.65adf8e58fc582f8525aee498ce1564d.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 9:04 AM, Crossy said:

It will have a rating plate on the bottom which indicates the supply voltage range.

I have seen misc Makita chargers on the net with universal input like 100 to 260 V.

But not sure whether they fit what is required here.

Just search for:

makita dc 18 rc

• Thanks 1