Second COVID death from outbreak at Phuket Prison

Jonathan Fairfield

1631958846_1-org.jpeg

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Officials have confirmed that a second inmate who contracted COVID-19 while incarcerated at Phuket Provincial Prison has died from being infected with the virus.

Thalang Police Station received a notification from Thalang Hospital staff today (Sept 18) that a male prisoner receiving treatment for COVID-19 at the hospital had died at 12:15pm.

The deceased was a 24-year-old Sahaschai Ketmuang, who was previously a resident of Baan Bang Duk, Mai Khao. His body has been released to his family for funeral rites, police confirmed.

The death of Mr Sahaschai follows the death of a 38-year-old male prisoner whose death was confirmed by provincial officials yesterday.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/second-covid-death-from-outbreak-at-phuket-prison-81442.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-19

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

I suppose he had some underlying health issue.

You mean like 50 prisoners in one room & substandard food & hygiene...except for Joe Ferrari, of course. No isolation, no alcohol gel, no masks. Hundreds more prisoners are being reported Covid+ every day. How many more deaths have gone unreported???

• Like 1

18 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

You mean like 50 prisoners in one room & substandard food & hygiene...except for Joe Ferrari, of course. No isolation, no alcohol gel, no masks. Hundreds more prisoners are being reported Covid+ every day. How many more deaths have gone unreported???

Well, obviously Thai prisons are no joke, but that’s not what I meant. He must have had a compromised immune system to die from Covid at that young an age. I’m thinking HIV or something along the lines.

2 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, obviously Thai prisons are no joke, but that’s not what I meant. He must have had a compromised immune system to die from Covid at that young an age. I’m thinking HIV or something along the lines.

Not so - it is quite possible to die of COVID without any prior underlying health problem and people do. Also possible to die at any age, and this too happens.

Certainly  the mortality rate is higher in older people and in those with underlying health problems, but should not confuse that with meaning that they are the only ones who die and that it is impossible to die of COVID otherwise. Not the case. .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

One would think so,

in the main article it does give details on the 38 year old who died:

"Provincial officials yesterday confirmed only that the 38-year-old man, designated as Case 7942, had died on Thursday (Sept 16). He was already suffering high blood pressure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and had been vaccinated with two injections of the Sinovac vaccine."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not so - it is quite possible to die of COVID without any prior underlying health problem and people do. Also possible to die at any age, and this too happens.

Certainly  the mortality rate is higher in older people and in those with underlying health problems, but should not confuse that with meaning that they are the only ones who die and that it is impossible to die of COVID otherwise. Not the case. .

I know, it’s still quite rare, though.