Click pedal for recumbent trike

CNX171

2 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

As a long-time rider of recumbents and recumbent trikes, I always choose to be clipped in. I keep the tension as loose as possible so as to quickly exit the pedal. Having your foot otherwise drop off the pedal is both a nuisance and potentially dangerous.

Probably worse than on a bicycle, because it would catch on the ground and you would go under the tricycle and get mangled as you ran over your own foot,

Some years ago, when I was new to my road bike, I was standing up on my pedals (flat cage pedals) to attack the hill outside my apartment, and my foot slipped off my pedal, and hit the ground.  I landed on the crossbar, my chest landed on the steerer stem, I veered across the road and I thought "This is not going to end well" as I headed towards the kerb.  I don't remember if I deliberately put my shoulder down, but it was the right thing to do, and luckily the traffic behind was able to stop safely.

But even still, I'm not going to cycle bolted into my pedals.  I've seen too many incidents comparable to that, and one friend has suffered much worse, keeling over unable to release his feet.  There are too many traffic lights and pubs for me to bolt my feet in.  When the guys with clip-ins clear the junctions quicker than me when the lights go green, maybe I'll reconsider, but I've got better things to do when the traffic behind is revving their engine than fanny about with clips.

In a recumbent, it may be different.

agree the above comments re some of the dangers... 

Below is the first machine, a homebuilt Folder FrontWheelDrive, I have been riding since 2003. As seen back then I still had those shoe-hugging hoods on the pedals; which was the worst decision ever... Getting one shoes back into them after a StopStart was a developed knack, plus during a long ride, gravity becomes a battle to keep ones feet in...

image.thumb.png.fed391e2c58e7170c280c595a78d2c82.png

I had some serious mods done to the frame in 2005 ( took it along to Greenspeed Ian Sims etc to do the welding and Yellow powdercoating). But anyway I was by then using shoe-clips-pedal (BBB brand clips)  True as mentioned in an earlier Post about keeping minimum clip tension to allow quicker disconnection.

Note - Disconnection done with what ever Left or Right shoe is closest to the ground at the time...

image.png.787c25df6fa8b34afcf687fc4cd73f3f.png This machine I have since almooost perfected a 2wd drive system for it, but the pedals at least are still the same Clips... 

Concurrently, I completed a Trike homebuilt project back in 2004. When first bought the project from another exRAAFie fella, it had plain pedals which as also mentioned in another's earlier post, is a guaranteed way of snapping your knees off when your legs lose the battle against gravity.

Did a near complete rebuild of the trike too, and added Clips as the very first task before riding off into the sunset.

The rebuild bare bones:  (the larger diameter tubing all car exhaust pipes)

image.png.506f3d730b1a5f203431bf3cea2aeccd.png

and back on the road... this pix also shows the clips and matching shoes to good effect: image.thumb.png.b710ac9fb7cd560506b92c70c0823865.png 

all machines now wear identical BBB brand Clips systems, all Set for quick release 

I do have another machine, the only one of the bunch that is an actual  Retail bike, from 'Linear' - but I am retrofitting it from and UnderBodySteer to instead use 'chopper handlebars 24" high. Being a Long wheelbase model it is very stable, but once again there's no way I'd be without Clips on that machine too 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tifino said:

agree the above comments re some of the dangers... 

Below is the first machine, a homebuilt Folder FrontWheelDrive, I have been riding since 2003. As seen back then I still had those shoe-hugging hoods on the pedals; which was the worst decision ever... Getting one shoes back into them after a StopStart was a developed knack, plus during a long ride, gravity becomes a battle to keep ones feet in...

image.thumb.png.fed391e2c58e7170c280c595a78d2c82.png

I had some serious mods done to the frame in 2005 ( took it along to Greenspeed Ian Sims etc to do the welding and Yellow powdercoating). But anyway I was by then using shoe-clips-pedal (BBB brand clips)  True as mentioned in an earlier Post about keeping minimum clip tension to allow quicker disconnection.

Note - Disconnection done with what ever Left or Right shoe is closest to the ground at the time...

image.png.787c25df6fa8b34afcf687fc4cd73f3f.png This machine I have since almooost perfected a 2wd drive system for it, but the pedals at least are still the same Clips... 

Concurrently, I completed a Trike homebuilt project back in 2004. When first bought the project from another exRAAFie fella, it had plain pedals which as also mentioned in another's earlier post, is a guaranteed way of snapping your knees off when your legs lose the battle against gravity.

Did a near complete rebuild of the trike too, and added Clips as the very first task before riding off into the sunset.

The rebuild bare bones:  (the larger diameter tubing all car exhaust pipes)

image.png.506f3d730b1a5f203431bf3cea2aeccd.png

and back on the road... this pix also shows the clips and matching shoes to good effect: image.thumb.png.b710ac9fb7cd560506b92c70c0823865.png 

all machines now wear identical BBB brand Clips systems, all Set for quick release 

I do have another machine, the only one of the bunch that is an actual  Retail bike, from 'Linear' - but I am retrofitting it from and UnderBodySteer to instead use 'chopper handlebars 24" high. Being a Long wheelbase model it is very stable, but once again there's no way I'd be without Clips on that machine too 

You must be able to see up ladies’ skirts from there - it must be like driving a convertible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

You must be able to see up ladies’ skirts from there - it must be like driving a convertible.

yeah s'pose one can see your point... from  a 37 inches eyelevel ????  

had this big storm a ways back, and was on the way home via another valley bike/walkpath shortcut between a group of hobby farmlets...  after the deluges the entire bikepath was underwater... as I made my way along thru it, there were some bad smells... Now fully committed I had to keep going, but realised my lycra that was submerged (seatpants 9" from the ground) were soaked in overflowed septic floodbath... 

- but my clipped shoes stayed UP'n'dry ????   

May be an image of 1 person