New Phuket anti-COVID campaign in full swing

snoop1130

1632208754_1-org.jpg

A Phuket CCR team in action at the Rawai sea gypsy village yesterday (Sept 20). Photo: PPHO

PHUKET: Nine teams of medical staff under the newly formed Phuket Comprehensive COVID-19 Response Team (Phuket CCR) began their intensive screening of communities across Phuket today (Sept 21) with the goal of testing 25,000 people within three days.

The teams have been deployed under the new strategy to curtail the rising number of infections across the island, which have risen from 1,186 on Aug 1 to 9,004 as of yesterday (Sept 20).

Before today, the Phuket CCR teams had already set up in Patong, providing assistance to people in the Nanai Rd area over the weekend, and another team arrived at the sea gypsy village in Rawai yesterday.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-phuket-anti-covid-campaign-in-full-swing-81472.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-21

13 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Cool. They're going to find many "new cases" ("85% of new infections being asymptomatic").

Perfect timing for the all the "reopen" campaigns.

Of course, only a few will ask this question : how come ? Phuket has a very high vaccination rate... and has even started the third dose ! ("66,383 people in Phuket had received their third-dose ‘booster’ shot").

The guy who does my garden had two sinovac shots a few months back. Yesterday he had his booster shot of…….a 3rd sinovac shot. I thought boosters were meant to be Pfizer, but he says he had another sinovac

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Anyone up for a 4th sinovac shot?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

PHUKET: Nine teams of medical staff under the newly formed Phuket Comprehensive COVID-19 Response Team (Phuket CCR) began their intensive screening of communities across Phuket today (Sept 21) with the goal of testing 25,000 people within three days.

Ahhh the Phuket success story is ever evolving.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Cool. They're going to find many "new cases" ("85% of new infections being asymptomatic").

Perfect timing for the all the "reopen" campaigns.

Of course, only a few will ask this question : how come ? Phuket has a very high vaccination rate... and has even started the third dose ! ("66,383 people in Phuket had received their third-dose ‘booster’ shot").

Several reasons. If you'll note, many of the new cases are asymptomatic. There are relatively few deaths in Phuket, from covid. Why? Because many people are vaccinated.

As more people are vaccinated, the percentage of people who are vaccinated and get covid will go up. But most will not have severe symptoms, and many won't even know they have it.

Another reason is that they weren't exactly accurate with the number of people in Phuket, in order to reach the 70% vaccinated milestone. And they also moved the goalposts with that one. Suddenly, 'vaccinated' meant one shot.

Like many places in Thailand, there are shadow populations that don't show up in many official tabulations. These include the 'sea gypsies' in Rawai.

These populations tend to live in close quarters, and also tend to avoid dealing with the government, if they can.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but a Thai friend of mine initially couldn't get a vaccine, because she didn't have a house book in Phuket. She eventually got her boss to claim she lived with her, so she could claim residency and get a shot.

In other words, if you don't live here officially, you're not counted in the population, and lower population makes it easier to hit 70%.

I just got my second shot, and I will say, it was very well organized and they were moving people through very efficiently. I was in the vaccination center for less than 1 hour, including the 30 minute waiting period.

• Like 1