Thai Soap Opera's

JimmyTheMook

Of course it's exaggerated, just like Coronation Street and Eastenders is in the UK, or Days of our Lives in the US.

For gods sake . . . does everything have to be negative? Would we see a post trying to be snide about americans based on The Young and bloody Beautiful?

Why do people come here and expect everything to be exactly as it is at home?

Thin veneer behind the smile, my arse . . . .

Of course it's exaggerated, just like Coronation Street and Eastenders is in the UK, or Days of our Lives in the US.

For gods sake . . . does everything have to be negative? Would we see a post trying to be snide about americans based on The Young and bloody Beautiful?

Why do people come here and expect everything to be exactly as it is at home?

Thin veneer behind the smile, my arse . . . .

:o:D

BENDIX, yes, the Thai soaps are exaggerated and no less so than soaps in western countries. The difference appears to me to be that these types of programmes are overly represented on Thai tv.

Nowadays when I sit down and join the wife to watch I ask "has the hospital scene been on yet ?" such is the predictability of the plot.

At least the slow pace, tendency for repetition of plot lines and physical acting are helpful for those of us learning Thai. Not sure that US TV has any redeeming aspects for a native speaker...

But after the last 30-disk mini series I am admittedly in need of therapy. Wonder if Click is available?

Thai TV is no different to any other nation's televised offerings. All they do is fill the airtime up with cheap, lurid entertainment that keeps a lot of people glued to the TV set so they can sell advertising time. Hel_l just look at western reality TV if you want to see utter intellectual diarroehia (sp?). I don't consider myself to be an intellectual by a long way but I find that the vast majority of TV would insult the intellect of children. That it doesn't appear to maybe is an indication of the extent to which the population is being dumbed down, and I'm talking western countries.

That is why I almost never turn the TV on in my apartment. The news and sport I can get from the papers and on-line, entertainment can be got by living life and watching people.

BENDIX, yes, the Thai soaps are exaggerated and no less so than soaps in western countries. The difference appears to me to be that these types of programmes are overly represented on Thai tv.

Nowadays when I sit down and join the wife to watch I ask "has the hospital scene been on yet ?" such is the predictability of the plot.

And the ghost scene!

Yes, but there must be some aspects that are characteristically Thai. What might those be ?

Mind numbing, extreme domestic violence and pathetic same same story lines

Just Cr#p & all that stupid girly shouting well….?

Sadly this is how almost all Thais are…under the surface

Anyone trying to say they are just good clean family entertainment…must be missing a few brain cells…just as the people who watch them most certainly are

:o

Anyone trying to say they are just good clean family entertainment…must be missing a few brain cells…just as the people who watch them most certainly are

And the fact they are the by far the most popular shows on TV here.

Rather pathetic.

And the fact they are the by far the most popular shows on TV here.

Rather pathetic.

Yeah, pathetic....since we all know that the best show in town is right HERE on TV!!!! Mind numbing extreme trolling and pathetic same same story lines!!!!

Edited by chownah

Wonder how many of you that actually understand what they say in the soaps.

A soap is a soap, same same, but different.

Thais like the jealousy issue, the Americans like the greed issue, British the pub issue, the Swiss probably about watch makers, etc etc.

Same same but different.

Its just bubblegum for the eyes. Good looking people performing plots that don't need much thinking about.

Last time I checked out the telly fare in the UK, it was just as dire... "Reality TV?" Obviously a producer's dream come true. - Daft people making the shows that other millions of daft people love watching, without much of any plots; or creative input from the tv companies...?

Just bloody glad my GF doesn't watch any of that garbage. And I do wonder about people who do ! Normally find her watching news & documentaries but mainly cooking programs. They tend to be boring after a while but they are good for learning Thai and my bird also likes learning new recipes and cooking them :o

Just Cr#p & all that stupid girly shouting well….?

Sadly this is how almost all Thais are…under the surface

1. many Thais don't watch Thai soap operas, just as Many Americans don't live in a diet of McDs and Jerry Springer

2. many Thais under the surface don't show major violence and girly shouting; they instead show blood and bones and kidneys and stuff. In fact both of those characteristics would appear quite 'above the surface' as they are shown rather than thought; hence your comment, to give an example, some might say while 'on the surface' appears to be complete weasels, when digging below the surface appears to be more of the same and shows a mind at work attempting to cast a racial stereotype smiilar to how the American military put it so quaintly, steer or a queer....which are you boy?

I will admit though, some of the story lines leave something to be desired; there are some good lakorns out there, particularly some of the period pieces, and plenty of comedies that have no violence at all - however it sounds like this debate is on the type of lakorns seen on Channel 7. True rubbish. I have no doubt that many of the type of people that associate with farang are from up country and this is who Channel 7 aims at - larger than life and twice as bad.

This is of course, just as an example of how 'on or under the surface' works. And is in no way anything to do with you or anyone else on Thaivisa writing racist nonsense. Ok, my Thai blood now is demanding I threaten you with a gun, while yelling and screaming, and any women in the hizouse, they should fall to the ground sobbing and crying while the jealous mother in law hits them with a stick.

JERRY JERRY JERRY

If you want to see soap operas done well, try some of the Korean stories such as Autumn in my Heart of Winter Love Sonata. Brillliant stories, well acted, great.

America has some good stuff, but not sure you would call them soaps? For instance, Oz is one of my favourites and I am not even gay! Not that there is anything wrong with that. But there is a lot of soap in it.

Edited by steveromagnino