Looking for a dermatologist

Y Chang

Can anyone recommend a dermatologist in Bangkok or Pattaya that is experienced in treating fungal infection and psoriasis?  I speak very little Thai so I will need a doctor who speaks fluent English.  A doctor who has been trained in the US, UK or Australia will be a plus.  Thanks and look forward to your reply.

Yuen

I've been seeing Dr. Anna at BPH for over 16 years.  She attended Stanford Medical School in California.  Just can't say enough good things about her she's the best of the best.  Look up her Bio on Bangkok Pattaya Hospital website.  She treats me for Basel Cell a type of skin cancer.

• Like 1

I had a lady doctor at the Dermatology Department of the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital diagnose (correctly, as it turned out) psoriasis of the scalp some 8 years ago. Three so-called dermatologists at two other private hospitals in Pattaya all failed to diagnose it. It was money worth spending!

23 hours ago, hobobo said:

I had a lady doctor at the Dermatology Department of the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital diagnose (correctly, as it turned out) psoriasis of the scalp some 8 years ago. Three so-called dermatologists at two other private hospitals in Pattaya all failed to diagnose it. It was money worth spending!

What did they prescribe to help clear things up?

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

What did they prescribe to help clear things up?

Psoriasis is basically a long-term affliction. Treatment for psoriasis of the scalp (and to a lesser extent forehead) is Topicorte 0.25% skin cream or ointment for an "attack", not to be used more than once or twice a week as Topicorte is a steroid. I was also told to wash my hair with Aphosyl shampoo which contains coal tar and alcohol 5%. Early on I could buy the shampoo at Boots, but in the last few years I can't buy it in Thailand because it contains alcohol!!!! I get mine from the UK, but I am sure any reasonable country would sell it (I can't see many abusing alcohol by drinking shampoo, can you?). Topicorte you can get in most pharmacies but get the larger bottle of 15 g as it is a lot cheaper than the smaller 5 g bottle. Good luck, it really worked wonders for me, and still does!

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 2:30 PM, Y Chang said:

Thank you all for your recommendation.  Appreciate it!

Yuen

You could try the University hospital at Bang Saen. I have been seeing the dermatologist there for about a year over a tumour on my ear, speaks good English.

• 2 years later...

I wish to concur regarding Dermovate. It has been one of the few, if not the only med. that helps my psoriasis - a sufferer since I was 9 years old - now 73 so do the math. A dermatologist in Colombia introduced this med to me many, many years ago.  It comes as a cream, ointment and also in liquid form which is fantastic for scalp psoriasis. There are now a number of very strong meds to take orally but can cause more damage than good(i.e. Methotrexate). I have used the oral meds. with fantastic results but this is not recommended for the long term. The derm. can explain all the oral meds available if you express interest. Since I started living in the tropics many years ago, my psoriasis has pretty much disappeared except for mild plaques  on my scalp.......I would also like to recommend a fabulous cream that my dermo in BKK recommended  for my neuropathic itch. It is a urea based cream that is a super moisturizer. It might help with any itching that you might have. Good luck, buddy.

L. Roger Braden

Urea2.jpg

Urea1.jpg

On 9/24/2021 at 7:04 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Dermavate ointment is good for psoriasis

The ointment is fantastic and very effective, the cream not so much so ( in my experience ).

The ointment in Thailand is about 180 baht for 5g, i travel a lot thru Dubai and can get 4 x 25g for approx 600 baht so i load up each time.

8 hours ago, PJ71 said:

The ointment is fantastic and very effective, the cream not so much so ( in my experience ).

The ointment in Thailand is about 180 baht for 5g, i travel a lot thru Dubai and can get 4 x 25g for approx 600 baht so i load up each time.

I agree but i'm having trouble sourcing it at my local pharmacies, it appears to have disappeared.

4 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I agree but i'm having trouble sourcing it at my local pharmacies, it appears to have disappeared.

Yeah, not easy to find in Thailand for sure.

• Agree 1

On 9/25/2021 at 3:04 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

Dermavate ointment is good for psoriasis

Yes Dermavate will fix the problem, if you can't get the ointment  the liquid one is available in Pattaya ,as I have just come back from Pattaya , were I bought and used it while there. The liquid is better for scalp ,as it is easy to scatter around in the hair. Another good one for skin product is Quadriderm  both of these can be hard to find, but they are both made in Thailand and if you shop around you will find some.   Regards Popa

48 minutes ago, popabear said:

Yes Dermavate will fix the problem, if you can't get the ointment  the liquid one is available in Pattaya ,as I have just come back from Pattaya , were I bought and used it while there. The liquid is better for scalp ,as it is easy to scatter around in the hair. Another good one for skin product is Quadriderm  both of these can be hard to find, but they are both made in Thailand and if you shop around you will find some.   Regards Popa

You are correct about the liquid for the scalp but just to clarify it should be Betnovate or Dermovate you're looking for.

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

You are correct about the liquid for the scalp but just to clarify it should be Betnovate or Dermovate you're looking for.

It's called Dermovate scalp application 30 ml  liquid , have one in my hand , use it all the time , it's the only thing that will fix my problem, got onto it , on a trip to Korrat , stoped at a chemist and ashed for something to fix the problem I had, bad a the time , in a couple days use, it was gone,, Regards Popa

• Like 1

Quite surprising that Dermovate (not Dermavate) isn't available/hard to find in regular pharmacies?

This seems to be an imported (relatively expensive) Glaxo Smith Kline product. Cheaper stuff should be available. Cream and ointment.

dermovate.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

The "DiabeDerm" (urea cream/ointment) appears on many online sources like Shopee together with other urea creams (10, 20 and 40%).

diabederm.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

The ointment or cream is hard to use in your hair, if that's were you have the problem, the Dermovate  liquid is easy  to use if you have problem in the , scalp otherwise use ointment or cream for all other place's . The Dermovate is hard to find , but it is around if you look , I was in Pattaya only a few weeks ago and bought some , just got to look around in the outer areas of Pattaya , such as the Dark side , it's always been hard to find , because it's a product that works . Regards Popa