Question: What are the import taxes on electronics?

ktg718

Hello,

I am having a smartwatch sent from the US and was wondering how to declare the package and what kind of charges i can expect. And...if anyone has any tricks up their sleeve on how to lessen the blow, those suggestions would be welcome as well. T.I.A.

Smart watches are taxed as normal (not precious metal) watches under heading 91029990. 
the duty is 5% plus 7% VAT. 

Please be warned that if the watch has its own sim capability you may need an import license. 

Edited by Gulfsailor
  • Like 1

If I have anything sent by DHL or FEDEX, it's very secure and convenient. But very expensive and I get charged high taxes.

I've had good luck with regular mail, and reasonable duty... but a time consuming hassle to pick up at the post office. So, I request that an invoice be attached in a plastic bag to the outside.  Then our postman delivers and collects the tax.  Hope that helps. Cheers, Don

14 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

If I have anything sent by DHL or FEDEX, it's very secure and convenient. But very expensive and I get charged high taxes.

I've had good luck with regular mail, and reasonable duty... but a time consuming hassle to pick up at the post office. So, I request that an invoice be attached in a plastic bag to the outside.  Then our postman delivers and collects the tax.  Hope that helps. Cheers, Don

I have had items sent here by regular registered or the equivalent of EMS from Australia, not watches and they seem to avoid the scrutiny of Customs.