So How Did She Get My Number?

simon43

Following the recent separation from my Thai wife, I left my mobile SIM card with her and bought a new one. (I was happy for her to email me, but phone calls were not wanted...)

Anyway, it has taken her a staggering 3 days to track down my new mobile number and call me!!!

How on earth did she do it?

She doesn't know anyone who works for DTAC. I gave my new number to

- a hire-car company in BKK

- a postal service (mailbox) company in BKK

- a hotel reception desk in BKK

- a hotel reception desk some 400km from BKK

- a flat-finder company in BKK

. .. and no-one else!!! I am truly amazed (and annoyed) that she has managed to find my number. Time for a new SIM.

Simon

She could have asked any of the companies. Personal security in Thailand is a joke, I went to pay in a cheque at my bank and forgot I didn't have my card with me, they said no problem, what is your name and gave me the account number. Didn't even ask for i.d.

Following the recent separation from my Thai wife, I left my mobile SIM card with her and bought a new one. (I was happy for her to email me, but phone calls were not wanted...)

Anyway, it has taken her a staggering 3 days to track down my new mobile number and call me!!!

. .. and no-one else!!! I am truly amazed (and annoyed) that she has managed to find my number. Time for a new SIM.

Simon

If she knew the name of the hotel you were staying at, I'm sure the desk clerk would think nothing of giving out your personal details. Probably would, even if the caller didn't identify themself as your wife.

Edited by lannarebirth

Female Thais can be very resourceful when they want to be. A few years back I had an office-girl stalker who hacked my email account, emailed my friends to find out info, got one of my friends to give her my ex-gf's phone number in UK (who she contacted a couple of times by said stalker), found out I was planning a trip to Bangkok and a day after my arrival found out what flight I was on and where I was staying, and so turned up unannounced. It was the latter information I was most worried about, because she would have gotten this from Thai Airways or Immigration only. She was a normal office girl, ex Chula, innocent face, 27 years old. No contacts high up, but had a good brain and a sensitive character. Looks are deceiving. The problems went on for over 1 and a half years.

Simon

If she knew the name of the hotel you were staying at, I'm sure the desk clerk would think nothing of giving out your personal details. Probably would, even if the caller didn't identify themself as your wife.

Sounds the most likely. Or you have used your phone to call somebody who is a mutual acquaintaince, who has in turn told your wife.

I was going to suggest trying to bar the number she was calling from if you don't want to speak to her , then it came to me in a blinding flash - she could use another phone :o . Looks like you're either going to have to buy a new phone every day, or keep the current one and buy a spare sim to call those you need to. Bad luck Simon.

Simon if you're hanging around your old haunts and staying in hotels you used while together I’d recommend you stay clear of them and move to totally new area and drinking scene.

She’s bound to have made friends and contacts in your regular areas and can easily trace you.

Simon

Sounds the most likely. Or you have used your phone to call somebody who is a mutual acquaintaince, who has in turn told your wife.

This seems most likely to me, too.

I don't have an issue with her sending me emails. But I do object to being pestered with phone calls :o And I am certainly not hanging around old haunts. Just want to get on with my life . . .

Anyway, I'm on new SIM number 2 now :D

Simon

PS - I think I found out how she got my new number! On the reservation form that guests give to our Phuket hotel is my old mobile number (in very small print). The internet booking websites automatically include this number when their customers make a booking. But when I updated my contact number on the website admin page, of course it was also changed for new guests who booked rooms a day or so ago. When these guests presented their booking forms to the hotel manager (wife's sister), the new number was there for all to see:) (Simple really...)

Thai ladies are very clever!
I came to pattaya early once and thought id have a night on my own before seeing my steady, ,i got to the hotel showered and thought for a minute where to go for a drink, i arrived at the bar, looked over my shoulder and who was there ? ,yep the steady,10 minutes before i didnt even know i was ging there !.black magic i reckon :o