Banana chips

Hal65

I like the banana chips. Never seem to buy any but don't leave yours near me. You have been warned.

Also like the battered and fried with sesame bananas

Then there are the hard jam/toffee type, wrapped in paper.

And for dessert ,  banana boiled in coconut milk is pretty tasty.

Come to think of it , although I'm not keen on fruit in general there is not much about the humble banana I don't like.

10 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

Banana chips? Flavourless  other than cooking oil rubbish mostly ! Too many plantain are passed of as banana in Thailand.

I'm quite sure that plantains  are not being 'passed off' bananas at all. Thais are well aware of the difference. They probably are not aware of the different names that we use. It's nothing more than a language thing.

When I think of it, not many westerners know what a plantain is.

Anyway, I love banana sandwiches for breakfast.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I'm quite sure that plantains  are not being 'passed off' bananas at all. Thais are well aware of the difference. They probably are not aware of the different names that we use. It's nothing more than a language thing.

You have been luckier than I then. It is rare that I have been offered or located "bananas"  that are not tasteless soapy plantain.

5 years back I sourced some pups of an excellent small true  banana and planted them with great expectations. Unfortunately my wife made it known as to the variety and not long after one night they were looted ! Thai know damn well what is good or not!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Is this something the Thais adopted from the West?

Revoltingly tunnel-sighted. So you think anything that tastes good in this Kingdom is a result of Thais copying or duplicating a western product! Bananas in the first place are not a western fruit. Bananas turned to chips were historically traced to India and Indonesia. It is NOT, as you shamelessly adduce, a result of Thais "adopting it from the West".  

I've seen banana chips for sale at one shop on the way to Bangkok from Nakhon Sawan that sells a big variety of Chinese confections and Japanese daifuku. I didn't like them, but I love the fried bananas from street vendors. They sometimes sell fried cassava, as well, and I wish my niece would not buy those to make up the weight when they don't have enough bananas left.

42 minutes ago, mvdf said:

So you think anything that tastes good in this Kingdom is a result of Thais copying or duplicating a western product!

No...usually it's a Chinese dish. Bahmee Moo Daeng...uh Char Siu, Pad Thai...uh Char Kuay Teow......Thai's have renamed them but basically the same dish......Khao Mon Gai ...uh Hainanese Chicken Rice....

11 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

Thanks , I  will check that out , 

the phone came from Amazon , when they had a sale earlier in the year .

I have slowly been going thru my Google Play list and downloading the apps I still use and leaving out a lot that I do not remember why I downloaded them !

I still  am not using the new phone , except on WiFi , 

Anyway thanks for your thoughts , much better than Mr Google

Motorola makes some really nice phones at great prices.

Amazon is great.

Enjoy your week.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:48 PM, Moonlover said:

With Honey ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wombat said:

absolutely ....the first ones came from the Huge banana plantations in Essex & Wales in the UK, so i read on the internet.

And the plantation owners employed the very same Thais that were once duped to picked oranges in Sweden back in the '90's.

????