Easy 3 month visit to Thailand

I would like to just get the new Non-O 90 day retirement visa before I leave.  It seems that it requires 40k/400k health insurance but i have not had any luck finding anyone who will write a 90 day policy.  Only yearly policies. It seems that the 40k/400k health insurance would also meet the COVID-19 requirements is this true?

Another idea would be to enter the country with the 45 day visa on arrival with covid-19 insurance and apply for my non-O 90 day visa in country.   What supporting documentation is needed to apply for the non-O retirement in country?  I will have my notarized pension letter.  Is a criminal record required? and will the IO require proof of 40k/400k health insurance?

The "normal" 40K/400K Thai-insurance is ONLY needed for the 1-year Non-Imm O-A Visa. The 90d Non-Imm O Visa does NOT require a "normal" health insurance.

No, the 40K/400K (Baht) insurance does NOT meet the requirements for Covid-19. The Covid-19 health insurance must meet 100K USD and you need a letter from the insurance that explicitly states this coverage for Covid-related issues. The Covid insurance can be from any company, also international, as long as you have the supporting document for the 100K coverage.

As the 40K/400K insurance is for the 1y O-A Visa, of course no insurance company will issue it for 90 days, since you need the insurance for the full year of your Visa (and renewed annually thereafter). Only Covid-related insurances are issued in line with the duration of your stay. So if you come with a 90d O-Visa, you would need an insurance covering these 90 days. After that, when you get your annual extension, nobody will require you to have an insurance.

• Like 1

Of course, right now, an application for a new Non O visa at an embassy/consulate outside Thailand does require the 400k/40k general health insurance. Whether the general health insurance also covers the required $100,000 of Covid insurance depends on the policy. It must explicitly state that the requisite Covid coverage is included.

It is usually better to apply for the Non O visa at immigration in Thailand. The main requirement is being able to show 800k baht in a Thai bank account, with evidence that the money was transferred from abroad. As an alternative, it may be possible to qualify based on 65k baht monthly income, especially if you are from a country whose embassy still issues income letters.

• Like 1

OP, your thread states "3 month visit to Thailand".

Most (not all) obtaining a non O are planning on obtaining 12 month extension.

Just one example of alternative is tourist visa with extension (60+30).

Which country are you from? 

When are you planning to visit?

How long do you actually plan to stay in Thailand? 

Obtain full vaccination prior to travel.

BTW..the visa on arrival you mention is actually 'visa exempt entry'. Might be only 30 days (normal) when you travel. You can obtain 30 day extension to that permit. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

OP, you are probably better visiting the Thai consulate website in your home country, Any and all current requirements will be listed with links to insurance etc.

They are not all playing by the same playbook, Some visa's are not being issued, some have their own interpretation of the insurance etc.

You need to separate travel to Thailand requirements, and long stay requirements.

If all you want is a 90 day stay, get a tourist visa and extension.

you can do a retire extension from a TV

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You need to separate travel to Thailand requirements, and long stay requirements.

If all you want is a 90 day stay, get a tourist visa and extension.

you can do a retire extension from a TV

Good advice. 

Also along with the non O from TV can also do same with visa exempt entry. 

If that becomes 30days then I guess folk wanting the non O would be best advised to obtain TV.

• Like 1

The STV looked the most attractive to me and is why I assumed i might find the 400/k/40k in a 3 month option.  I have yet to find the health insurance for only 3 months.  I have given up on this.

I was interested in the new 90 day non-O because it only requires my pension letter and no funds transferred to the thai bank accounts.  I assumed that i could just extend it once in country.

I have settled on a standard 60 day tourist visa and will either extend it or apply for a Non-O.  I am from the US arriving mid-oct and will stay as long it suits me.  Possibly until May 2022.  I am not vaccinated (I have other means).  Thanks everyone...