Motorcycle Modifications

nahkit

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge regarding the registration process for a modified motorcycle?

I was looking to purchase a second-hand bike as a fun runabout and found one I was interested in but the bike had undergone several modifications, including completely re-routing the exhaust pipe.

When modifications like that are made, is it necessary to get them entered into the green book in order to pass the inspection when re-registering the bike? The bike is just coming up to its fifth year and so it would have to be taken in for an inspection each year from the next time the road tax is renewed.

22 minutes ago, nahkit said:

The bike is just coming up to its fifth year and so it would have to be taken in for an inspection.

So take it for inspection now and see what they say. 

Is the bike a common model if so if it's only had a exhaust pipe change and long as it passes the emmisions test it should be OK. 

If not an easy fix. 

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

So take it for inspection now and see what they say. 

Is the bike a common model if so if it's only had a exhaust pipe change and long as it passes the emmisions test it should be OK. 

If not an easy fix. 

As I said in the opening post, I was looking to purchase a second-hand bike, I haven't actually bought it.

I can see from the photos that the registration expired last year.

I'm hoping to get a reply from someone who has actually been through the process.

22 minutes ago, nahkit said:

As I said in the opening post, I was looking to purchase a second-hand bike, I haven't actually bought it.

I can see from the photos that the registration expired last year.

I'm hoping to get a reply from someone who has actually been through the process.

Never mind pictures I have been through the process as I said you will only know whether you can complete transfer of ownership when it's examined at the DLT office and the green book checks out and they pass the bike with it's present exhaust system. 

The alternative would be to get the owner to get the bike inspected and get the road disc and CTPL before you buy it. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be aware that any exhaust that doesn’t have the TIS stamp on it will be considered illegal regardless of the decibel level. Very much doubt it would pass inspection at the DLT.
Once registered a ‘friendly’ inspection office may pass it for extra payment but if stopped by a switched on police officer be prepared for 1000 baht tip or fine. 
Speaking from experience 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Never mind pictures I have been through the process

What sort of modifications had been made to the bike? Did they then enter those modifications into the green book so that the bike and book then matched, same as you would do if you changed the colour of a car?

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

Be aware that any exhaust that doesn’t have the TIS stamp on it will be considered illegal regardless of the decibel level. Very much doubt it would pass inspection at the DLT.
Once registered a ‘friendly’ inspection office may pass it for extra payment but if stopped by a switched on police officer be prepared for 1000 baht tip or fine. 
Speaking from experience 

Maybe my bike passed DLT inspection because it's old and had a aftermarket end can that doesn't have a TIS stamp. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, nahkit said:

What sort of modifications had been made to the bike? Did they then enter those modifications into the green book so that the bike and book then matched, same as you would do if you changed the colour of a car?

No only the colour had been changed that was changed in the book that's all, I don't think they list other parts in the book just check them. 

The end can had been changed and our DLT was only interested in the frame number and engine number being the same as in book.

The bike you are looking at, it would be at best to get previous owner to tax & ins,  if he doesn't want to walk away. 

Edited by Kwasaki

I had a Nouvo years ago Black & white, I put a nice Blue & white body kit on it from a Mod shop, next time came to run it through DLT - No Mr.... So I paid bit extra and No Ploblem velly good bike Khab... I sold it on to a Thai lady I know for her Brudder back home... It was on the back of a pick up Issan bound within a day.

I have a Forza with modded mid pipe & End Can on it (no TIS stamp) has been through DLT three years no issues at all but agreed they could pull it. If its not really loud then I dont think they bother TBF

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lokie said:

I had a Nouvo years ago Black & white, I put a nice Blue & white body kit on it from a Mod shop, next time came to run it through DLT - No Mr.... So I paid bit extra and No Ploblem velly good bike Khab... I sold it on to a Thai lady I know for her Brudder back home... It was on the back of a pick up Issan bound within a day.

I have a Forza with modded mid pipe & End Can on it (no TIS stamp) has been through DLT three years no issues at all but agreed they could pull it. If its not really loud then I dont think they bother TBF

Yeah the TIS thing I begin to think was just a one off tea money time for the police. 

I have a 28 year old bike that went through DLT check when getting ownership changed.

It been checked at those places the door inspections twice since and nothing is said. 

• Like 1

No wonder I couldn't find this in motorcycle forum it's in wrong forum.

This TIS end box exhaust post thing does anybody know if the police still check on it. 

The reason I ask is I have bought a end can made in Thailand so they would already have complied with TIS Regs producing it in Thailand yes ???

Like if say Honda bike exhaust box comes in from Japan it would have the TIS stamp on it so to see it complies with Thai standards I get that. 

What's it all about Alfie I can not find any reference to it anywhere being an offence now. 

Reason to ask is my bike has been look at and check by DLT and gone through inspections twice in the last 2 years and has no TIS stamp on the exhaust.

Edited by Kwasaki

I would'nt mither Kwakka lol... Iv never heard of anyone getting done that I know... Some of the noisy annoying Fart boxes running about for years but tyhey prob dont even bother  with yearly MOT... maybe only apply to Farang Mobike 555

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

This TIS end box exhaust post thing does anybody know if the police still check on it. 

Like if say Honda bike exhaust box comes in from Japan it would have the TIS stamp on it so to see it complies with Thai standards I get that. 

What's it all about Alfie I can not find any reference to it anywhere being an offence now. 

It's probably still an offence, once written into the Gazette it stays there for time immemorial...it'll still be there once all the petrol in the world has been used up and people have forgotten what an internal combustion engine was ????

All three of my bike have non standard exhausts, and I've never had a problem with the rozzers or DLT...as to your point about and exhausts supplied by the manufacturer, my Triumph has a set of Vance & Hines supplied and fitted by Triumph (one of their accessories) when new that have a Triumph logo, but no TIS stamp...go figure ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

It's probably still an offence, once written into the Gazette it stays there for time immemorial...it'll still be there once all the petrol in the world has been used up and people have forgotten what an internal combustion engine was ????

All three of my bike have non standard exhausts, and I've never had a problem with the rozzers or DLT...as to your point about and exhausts supplied by the manufacturer, my Triumph has a set of Vance & Hines supplied and fitted by Triumph (one of their accessories) when new that have a Triumph logo, but no TIS stamp...go figure ????

I also have a Bonneville T100 A2 865cc on a 2013 plate in UK, with Triumph upgraded pee shooter Exhausts (TORs - Triumph Off Road) They are stamped Triumph TOR but no Standard stamp... (my original exhausts have never been fired up, I still have them in the box that the TORs came in. I had them ftd when I bought the bike brand new at Main Triumph Dealer Youles Manchester) Granted V&Hs are a Triumph approved accessory on certain models, Norman Hyde does some good exhausts for retro Trumpets

11 hours ago, Lokie said:

Granted V&Hs are a Triumph approved accessory on certain models, Norman Hyde does some good exhausts for retro Trumpets

These were made by V&H and supplied to Triumph to sell under their own part number, and they are fully road legal...in fact you can run one of the new water cooled ones without any silencers at all and hardly notice the difference...95% of the sound deadening is done in the CAT which is between the headers and silencers...should you so happen to fit an X-CAT and run with V&H silencers you do get rather a nice sound...so I've been told ????

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 10:28 AM, Neilly said:

These were made by V&H and supplied to Triumph to sell under their own part number, and they are fully road legal...in fact you can run one of the new water cooled ones without any silencers at all and hardly notice the difference...95% of the sound deadening is done in the CAT which is between the headers and silencers...should you so happen to fit an X-CAT and run with V&H silencers you do get rather a nice sound...so I've been told ????

So if Triumphs in Thailand have this exhaust will it have the TIS thingy stamp on it,  I don't see why it should because it would be better than anything that Thailand could produce.??

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

So if Triumphs in Thailand have this exhaust will it have the TIS thingy stamp on it,  I don't see why it should because it would be better than anything that Thailand could produce.??

If they do have the TIS thingy stamp it's very well hidden coz I've never seen it ????

20211004_083652 (Medium).jpg

20211004_083642 (Medium).jpg

• Haha 1