British Man Caught With Fake Stamps In His Passport

clivemh

I have just come across this in Pattaya Peeps newspaper, and have not noticed anything about it on the forum yet.

We all know that Niels rag has more scandal in it than News of the World, but this might be of interest to some?

Immigration Seize British Man With Fake Passport

On 30th May officers from the Pattaya Immigration Department detained British national, Mr. Philip Lee Atkins, aged 55, when he was found in possession of a fake visa.

It started when Mr. Atkins came into the Pattaya Immigration Office to ask for an extension on his visa. While his case was pending on approval; the officials found the stamp on his visa from Phuket Immigration to be suspicious looking so investigated further and found that it was a fake stamp. The stamp he faked was old from a long time ago and copied on to the visa page.

Mr. Atkins has now been transferred to the Pattaya Police Station to be charged and further proceedings are ongoing.

It just shows you how much they are clamping down here. I hope he still has his get out jail free card,cos he might just need it...

Remember this is " The Land of Smiles".

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a really silly thing once ,,although not as bad as trying to fool Immigration ,rather than trying to fool the GF from the Philippines.

It was 2002,,I told the GF that I was in Spain when I was really in Angeles in the Philippines.

Knowing that she would have a crafty look in my passport upon return, I decided to ......cut the page out of the passport that had the Philippines stamp on it...Good idea dont you think?

Well it worked with the girlfriend and Singapore Immigration but I was stopped leaving Bangkok and asked why page number 9 was missing.

Luckily,I kept said page 9 in another place on me, and upon displaying it ,the kind gentleman in immigration selotaped it back in its rightful place.

Thankfully passport and GF are both beyond the expiry date and its all behind me,,but it could have been very sticky.

Silly to mess with a false visa in your own passport though.

Cheers

Edited by soihok

I did a really silly thing once ,,although not as bad as trying to fool Immigration ,rather than trying to fool the GF from the Philippines.

It was 2002,,I told the GF that I was in Spain when I was really in Angeles in the Philippines.

Knowing that she would have a crafty look in my passport upon return, I decided to ......cut the page out of the passport that had the Philippines stamp on it...Good idea dont you think?

Well it worked with the girlfriend and Singapore Immigration but I was stopped leaving Bangkok and asked why page number 9 was missing.

Luckily,I kept said page 9 in another place on me, and upon displaying it ,the kind gentleman in immigration selotaped it back in its rightful place.

Thankfully passport and GF are both beyond the expiry date and its all behind me,,but it could have been very sticky.

Cheers

Now that is dodgy! :o

Soundman.

Wasn’t there something about fake stamps being put in peoples passports a couple of years ago? I recall reading about people who would use agents to obtain visas for them only to find out later the stamps were fakes.

Wasn’t there something about fake stamps being put in peoples passports a couple of years ago? I recall reading about people who would use agents to obtain visas for them only to find out later the stamps were fakes.

Spot on. Of course the agents were never arrested but the tourists were fined and deported.

Cheers

You lost me at the part where you let your girlfriend look in your passport.

Cheers

You lost me at the part where you let your girlfriend look in your passport.

At that time I was lost too,,,It was,nt with my permission that I let her go through my things , but she would.

It got so bad that I had to have a welder at work knock up a small safe out of 5mm chequered plate ,on night shift.

Stuck all my stuff in it and left it for her to discover.

Have to forgive her though,,,,not her fault she is Filippino.

:o

All water under the bridge

Edited by soihok

What a complete tool. It is so easy to get a visa legaly, why bother? Just lazy I guess.
i have been told he had a false passport also, ( could be a rumour ), if so he may have a reason for that,they will find that out as well, Edited by mikethevigoman

SOURCE: Pattaya People: May 31st 2007

On 30th May officers from the Pattaya Immigration Department detained British national, Mr. Sean Henry Tinsley, aged 38, when he was found in possession of a fake visa.

It started when Mr. Tinsley came into the Pattaya Immigration Office to ask for an extension on his visa.

While his case was pending on approval; the officials found the stamp on his visa from Phuket Immigration to be suspicious looking so investigated further and found that it was a fake stamp.

The stamp he faked was old from a long time ago and copied on to the visa page.

Mr. Tinsley has now been transferred to the Pattaya Police Station to be charged and further proceedings are ongoing.

This is VERY interesting to me because Mr. Tinsley is the owner of The Visa Shop on Soi Buakow. His shop is there to help people get visas. It's nobody's business how he does it but he supposedly does it, (I've been recommended to him by several expats) while charging large fees. Worth it to some, others balk. Is this just desserts for Mr. Tinsley? Why couldn't he resolve his own visa issues with his "contacts?" Hmmm....

On 30th May officers from the Pattaya Immigration Department detained British national, Mr. Sean Henry Tinsley, aged 38, when he was found in possession of a fake visa.

It started when Mr. Tinsley came into the Pattaya Immigration Office to ask for an extension on his visa.

While his case was pending on approval; the officials found the stamp on his visa from Phuket Immigration to be suspicious looking so investigated further and found that it was a fake stamp.

Mr. Tinsley has now been transferred to the Pattaya Police Station to be charged and further proceedings are ongoing.

This is VERY interesting to me because Mr. Tinsley is the owner of The Visa Shop on Soi Buakow. His shop is there to help people get visas. It's nobody's business how he does it but he supposedly does it, (I've been recommended to him by several expats) while charging large fees. Worth it to some, others balk. Is this just desserts for Mr. Tinsley? Why couldn't he resolve his own visa issues with his "contacts?" Hmmm....

We know now. :o

I'm a little confused here. In the original copy n paste the guy was "Mr. Philip Lee Atkins, aged 55" and in the subsequent 1 was "Mr. Sean Henry Tinsley, aged 38" :o

Everything else in the articles are worded the same.

Edited by keebone

I'm a little confused here. In the original copy n paste the guy was "Mr. Philip Lee Atkins, aged 55" and in the subsequent 1 was "Mr. Sean Henry Tinsley, aged 38" :o

Everything else in the articles are worded the same.

I noticed that too, but you beat me to it !

Highly unlikely that two totally different people would both go for visa extensions the same day at the same place and both have fake visas in their passports.

I knew an old English guy that was staying in Pattaya in '04. He too was too lazy to make a one day visa run and was using a "service" to get new stamps. I shook my head in disbelief, as this guy kept trying to tell me that it was all legal and above board (according to the place that was providing this service). It was costing him something like 6 or 8,000 baht each time, which also caused me to shake my head, as he had no income and was constantly borrowing from friends. I told him that he could do the border run himself and it would only cost 2,000 baht. Couldn't be bothered.

Then he would go out and try to borrow more money, so he could pay off the other people he had already borrowed from and (hopefully) have enough left to get by on (and pay for another visa stamp).

Last I heard he had to get money wired to him from family, as he had been drinking so much for so long (pretty much pissed everyday for at least a year), he developed liver problems and had to fly back to the UK for treatment.

As I remember this, I do believe he mentioned that the place he was getting his stamps from was on soi Buakhao, but I never asked for a name or any other information as I wasn't interested.

A crazy buddy of mine used to send his passport off for a week and receive it back with Burmese stamps, this was several years ago.

But as the time got nearer to leaving the Kingdom his bottle went and he got a new passport from the embassy.

There was some rubber-stamp scam going on. Those days have gone now. Immigration are getting keener on inspecting passports.

Back in 1982 I was living in France. I worked at a nightclub without a carte de travail. That's a work permit for those who failed French in school. I failed German twice. At the time Paris had one color photocopier and I forged a friend's permit in my name. A terrible job, however the nightclub owner was happy to have some documentation and I paid taxes, even got a month's paid holiday from the French government. I later became an EEU citizen via the grandmother clause for Ireland.

Of course now everything has changed around the world and do-gooders like Bruce want the entire world to act like catholic school kids and obey all the rules. Guess he never speeds or drive after more than 2 beers (Thailand has breathalyzers now. 2 farangs were done for DWI in Phuket) or jaywalking.

Must be tough being a saint all the time.

I'm sure in this case Mr. Tinsley was mistaken for someone else.

As far as I've heard, no charges were pressed and he wasn't issued a 'green' ie arrest form.

Guilty until proven innocent, except for the hasty minded Mssr Le Bruce.

Napoleonic Law and Thai TV. Guilty guilty guilty like the guy who lost his finger and the insurance companies are saying it's a scam. The scam are the insurance companies not paying him his money.

So save the rushes to judgment, because anyone who ahs all the answers hasn't heard all the questions.

yeah i have been to that shop - a fattish guy in there, a quite polite guy. asked me how much money i had in my sky rocket, offered me a new visa for 30 grand, but said it MIGHT be a dodgy one as i wouldnt have to go anywhere he would do it all for me. i declined and shopped elseware. no thanks.

This started out with Mr Philip Lee Atkins, aged 55 - now it's Sean Henry Tinsley, aged 38.

Is this the same story, or have we two people faking visa stamps in Phuket and then asking for proper extensions in Pattaya?

And there was a comment about fake passport. This was reported in one of the Pattaya 'News" rags, but probably a mis-translation or lack of comprehension of the difference between a passport and a visa.

well all i know is that this "sean" guy aged 38, is the guy with the visa shop, a scouser (liverpool) if i remember correctly..... dunno who the older guy named is, maybe its his partner or something.

i remember his polite scouse (liverpool) accent asking me how much brass i had available for a new VISA...... he told me i did not have to leave the country, but could not guarantee that my new visa would be legal... i chose to leave this shop and went elseware. judging by the look of things here, i am happy i went somewhere else for my peace of mind.

This started out with Mr Philip Lee Atkins, aged 55 - now it's Sean Henry Tinsley, aged 38.

Is this the same story, or have we two people faking visa stamps in Phuket and then asking for proper extensions in Pattaya?

And there was a comment about fake passport. This was reported in one of the Pattaya 'News" rags, but probably a mis-translation or lack of comprehension of the difference between a passport and a visa.

Or was he on a false pasport as i heard :o

Yeah I remember that. A few years back, now.

one or two of my buddies got had by one of them scams, but we had a friend in immigration who fixed it and turned them into real stamps.

Is the news story about "Mr. Philip Lee Atkins, aged 55" or "Mr. Sean Henry Tinsley, aged 38" ???

I dont understand why there are 2 totally different names and ages :o

Anyway, I also have been to Sean's shop, he also tried to talk me into having my passport sent back to the UK for my visa, for 30,000 baht. He also wanted a copy of my bank book with I think 200,000 baht in it... This was after the clamp down, so he must have carried on with these fake stamps /visa's :D

Well, Pattaya People is showing a picture of the guy in the news on their site, And it is the guy from 'The Visa Shop'

I wonder if he had a work permit ??????? :o

I wonder if it was a real one, if he ever had one :D