What language school should I choose?

noodleslayer

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Choosing a school to teach you Thai is not like other consumer purchases.  If you go to Central Chidlom to buy a toaster the odds are strong that the toaster will indeed toast your bread.  The situation is just the opposite for Thai language schools.  Most Western students of Thai fail, that is, they never become fluent in the language.  It's like picking out a toaster knowing that there is a 95% chance it won't work. 

So, the question that should be on your mind in choosing a school should be, "What evidence is there that any Westerners who have studied here have succeeded?"

That will narrow the search down considerably.

• 4 months later...
On 12/12/2021 at 6:29 AM, cmarshall said:

So, the question that should be on your mind in choosing a school should be, "What evidence is there that any Westerners who have studied here have succeeded?"

Are there any language schools which can provide that evidence?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 1:29 AM, cmarshall said:

Choosing a school to teach you Thai is not like other consumer purchases.  If you go to Central Chidlom to buy a toaster the odds are strong that the toaster will indeed toast your bread.  The situation is just the opposite for Thai language schools.  Most Western students of Thai fail, that is, they never become fluent in the language.  It's like picking out a toaster knowing that there is a 95% chance it won't work. 

That will narrow the search down considerably.

I agree, I'm not fluent in Thai. I'm from Eastern Europe, and in order to speak Thai properly, I have to rebuild my way of thinking, to get rid of the intonations inherent in the language. So I'm partly on your list of students who have failed

• Like 1