Advice required re: New build.

Just found out the wife is has signed a contract to have a three bed house built and it is about 20% finished!! All her money, so I am not too miffed, but it would have been nice to have been involved at an earlier stage!!!

However, that aside, could anyone advise on....

1. Damp course. Should I insist upon one? The builder says it is not needed and if he has to put one in he won't honor the insurance policy. It is a single skin wall.

2. The insurance only applies for two years.......is that typical? UK is 10 years I think.

3. There is no spec' for roof insulation in the loft space.......what would you recommend? I am conscious of creepy crawly things setting up home and wonder how to insulate the space, but still prevent unwelcome guests.

4. Window frames have yet to be ordered. Is UV PVC the best or aluminum or.........?

5. Floor tiles are yet to be ordered......anything we should know? Glazed/unglazed, rough/smooth, what material???

6. Anything else regarding "inside information" on any building matters/materails would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

1. Damp course. Should I insist upon one? The builder says it is not needed and if he has to put one in he won't honor the insurance policy. It is a single skin wall.

2. The insurance only applies for two years.......is that typical? UK is 10 years I think.

3. There is no spec' for roof insulation in the loft space.......what would you recommend? I am conscious of creepy crawly things setting up home and wonder how to insulate the space, but still prevent unwelcome guests.

4. Window frames have yet to be ordered. Is UV PVC the best or aluminum or.........?

5. Floor tiles are yet to be ordered......anything we should know? Glazed/unglazed, rough/smooth, what material???

6. Anything else regarding "inside information" on any building matters/materails would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

1. Damp course, nobody bothers, the only damp is when the floodwater is higher than your front door.

2. My recent home extension guarantee ran out when I paid the builder.

3. If you insulate your loft, the insects will enjoy living and eating your ceiling.

4. Don't know.

5. Make sure they order more tiles than you need, and check the boxes are all unopened and the same batch number.

You can't match the tile colour if you run out, and opened boxes always have different colours mixed in that the tiler won't notice, or won't care about.

6. Make sure to have the plastic/silver sheeting under the roof sheets/tiles, it'll leak if you don't, then you'll need to replace the ceiling.

• Thanks 1

And if all else fails............. just grab the darn tool and show them how its done   ????

when finished.......should look something like this :

20210929_133233.jpg

image (2).png

Edited by rumak
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

So, and who on the first picture is you ?

B.t.w. the end result is beautiful....

Yes,  i am in the first pic......  taken 5 days ago when floor was being poured.  I am the guy who is 40 years older (at least)  than the other workers.   No,  I am not actually doing the work  ????   just a photo op  55

The end result will look similar to the photo ....... but probably i won't use the brick tiles .  If i did they would not go as high as in the pic .

This is about my 5th  last house that i have done .   Really too old for this stuff...... but sold my city property recently to downsize outside CM.    Condo was NOT  an option

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a different  view about a damp proof course.  Physics and capillary action is the same as back home, damp will rise to the usual 800 mm above ground, and the paint on outside walls (plus inside if floor is not raised) will eventually peel off in the classic rising damp style.

The critical difference here is that most Thai home owners do not care.

I just had a house built; the Wife, the Architect and the builder all said no need for a DPC, and unfortunately I was out of the country at that stage of the build, so no DPC.  We now have rising damp.  Inside floor is 1m above ground, so not a big issue.  But exterior paint on walls is like the Fourth Bridge - a constant painting job.