Need a Windows expert to come over

Why Me

I just got my new PC made to order. However, having trouble connecting the printer. Went through the Add Printer steps but at Choose Printer Port didn't find a USB option. Fiddled around and managed to disable the port:-( Being totally inept at systems stuff I prefer to have an expert come over instead of me causing further damage. Happy to pay a good rate. I am near the Victory Monument BTS.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I thought you simply plugged a USB printer in, and off it goes. Well mine did.

That's what's supposed to happen. And did with my old machine. But apparently a known problem with some versions of Windows 10, is the USB port doesn't appear in the dropdown for Choose a Printer Port (as you proceed along the Add a Printer steps). Then it gets screwy. There are workarounds it seems but I wasn't able to solve the problem.

There should have been an installation disk (or mention of a website) where you would download the drivers. Usually with the printer you would install the drivers before connecting the printer. After installing the drivers, connect the printer and you should be good to go.

If you disabled your USB port, click the Windows key on your keyboard. Type the word device > select Device Manager > look for Universal Serial Bus controllers (USB) > right click on disabled controller and select Properties > click Driver tab and select Enable Device.

If you don't see disabled device, then Click Action > Scan for Hardware Changes and it will reinstall

Yep, I see my side hustle when I move to Thailand.

That will be $100 USD good sir. LOL.

Edited by HappyGoLuckyLife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Take a look at this video on you tube for the install steps.

For select the printer use the drop down menu and select the last one usb001 virtual printer port usb.

the link to download drivers from canon web site are available on the you tube page as well.

It should work.

Edited by userabcd

34 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Therein lies the problem. No usb001 virtual port shows up in the dropdown I get.

Is the pc OS on win 10 or other OS?

On the  keyboard type windows key+X, open device manager. What is shown for the printer?

Click on the menu at the top and click view and tick the box show hidden devices.

Go down the driver list and right click and uninstall all the greyed out usb connections (usb devices usually at the bottom)

Right click the mouse and uninstall the printer driver installed.

Right click the device manager and scan for hardware drivers and let it install the driver again.

Right click and select Update driver and select the location of the installed drivers and see if the installed driver selected is a microsoft one or the actual canon driver for your printer.

Try different usb port?

Reboot the pc with usb printer attached?

If the above does not get it to work then do a pm to arrange, no payment necessary.

Edited by userabcd

15 hours ago, Why Me said:

I would happily pay except it didn't work:-( I really need a guru to drop by. Any recommendations?

Hello @Why Me. Take your computer model number and printer number and go for a walk around the back or side streets of TukCom. (I'm not in Patts so not sure what's open). There used to be Indian repair shops and if you ask them you may get someone to come out or you can take the machines into them.

Did you try downloading the drivers from the printer web site as suggested and installing them?

The correct driver is a must as it forms that software link between your printer device and windows.

You really need to watch and learn how to do it as the driver could (appear) to disappear again.

2 minutes ago, carlyai said:

I'm not in Patts so not sure what's open

I am in Bkk. Need a repair guy here for onsite visit.

2 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Did you try downloading the drivers from the printer web site as suggested and installing them?

Yep, it's not a driver issue.

10 minutes ago, Why Me said:

I am in Bkk. Need a repair guy here for onsite visit.

Yep, it's not a driver issue.

Sorry thought Pattaya. No worries, what about sois at back of china town...baan Mor. 

Did you try your old printer?

So you have the windows operating system, you have a printer, and the interface between then is a driver. Some times tricky to set up. Remove all the printer drivers you've downloaded and try again.

Turn both machines off and then turn on the printer then the pc. 

If it's not a driver, what is it?

38 minutes ago, carlyai said:

If it's not a driver, what is it?

Could be the same issue as below. Couple of days ago I pushed a pretty little thing against the PC table.

But seriously I have no intention of messing around myself and causing further damage (accidentally deleting stuff, etc.). I might just take it back to the shop that assembled it for me.

1 minute ago, shady86 said:

If you know how to enable remote desktop or use team viewer, maybe I can help you. Send me a PM.

some Windows Expert do not know about quickassist that is included in Windows 10?

19 minutes ago, kekalot said:

some Windows Expert do not know about quickassist that is included in Windows 10?

Hehe, after many years of using windows, quick assist or help functions, troubleshooter in MS never solved anything on a windows pc.

Best just to search and get answers from the online community.

Just now, userabcd said:

Hehe, after many years of using windows, quick assist or help functions, troubleshooter in MS never solved anything on a windows pc.

Best just to search and get answers from the online community.

no idea what you are talking about but quickassist is the remote access software that is included in Windows to let someone else control/view your PC

nothing to do with help/troubleshooter at all

24 minutes ago, kekalot said:

no idea what you are talking about but quickassist is the remote access software that is included in Windows to let someone else control/view your PC

nothing to do with help/troubleshooter at all

Well first of all this

Get assistance

Allow someone you trust to assist you by taking control of your computer. Please enter the 6-digit security code that was provided to you.

Just now, userabcd said:

Well first of all this

Get assistance

Allow someone you trust to assist you by taking control of your computer. Please enter the 6-digit security code that was provided to you.

yes, just like teamviewer and remote desktop.

still has nothing to do with the auto troubleshooter

Some questions please?

1- When you connect the printer via the USB cable does your pc make a sound like when connecting a USB device?

2- Did you try another USB port? Maybe the one you are using is faulty

3- Which ports did you disable? And why did you do that?

20 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I thought you simply plugged a USB printer in, and off it goes. Well mine did.

It normally does, I even connected a Wifi enabled printer to the Network and Windows (before I even did anything) had already added it to the Devices and Printers when I looked. Was a bit shocked how easy it was in whole honesty ????

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Some questions please?

1- When you connect the printer via the USB cable does your pc make a sound like when connecting a USB device?

2- Did you try another USB port? Maybe the one you are using is faulty

3- Which ports did you disable? And why did you do that?

Or try another cable.

• Like 1

Thanks all. Today I went to JIB, who had assembled the PC, and explained the problem. I ordered a new printer from them because the Canon is growing long in the tooth and has paper feed issues. The deal is when the new printer comes in I'll take my PC in and they'll set up the printer and (hopefully) fix the disabled USB port.

Yes, I know. There is a price to pay if one is a klutz. Like having to unplug a PC and carry it 3 km. in order to connect a printer. Go ahead laugh. I don't care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/4/2021 at 7:19 PM, Why Me said:

Thanks all. Today I went to JIB, who had assembled the PC, and explained the problem. I ordered a new printer from them because the Canon is growing long in the tooth and has paper feed issues. The deal is when the new printer comes in I'll take my PC in and they'll set up the printer and (hopefully) fix the disabled USB port.

Yes, I know. There is a price to pay if one is a klutz. Like having to unplug a PC and carry it 3 km. in order to connect a printer. Go ahead laugh. I don't care.

Nothing to laugh about, IMHO.

Just that you are taking the best option available for you.

We all are not computer experts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1