Need a driving licence in Thailand? Queue system now up and running for new applications

webfact

On 5/14/2022 at 2:05 PM, brianp0803 said:

Thank you for the information

I hope I can get a new motorcycle license (maybe 2 years), and renew my 5 year Thai car license at the same time.  (I have a non-immigrant B visa and work permit)

I hope only need to take the driving exam for motorcycle (and the 3 test - reaction, color-blindness ...)

I got a residence certificate on 19 April, I hope it is good for 6 months - but not sure. 

I know I need a medical certificate - do I need 1 for car and 1 for motorycle? 

Residence certificate only valid for 1 month

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

What are you talking about?

I did my 5 year license last year May, no problem at all.
I bought a new car, no problem at all and it is in my name.

I also got my ( first) 5 year TDL last March and have bought & sold cars here with no ( insurmountable) DLT issues.

BUT my (and your) local DLT are very good with Thais & foreigners.

Some DLT like seems Bangkok can be a humiliating nightmare like my Municipal, so I do sympathize.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 7:29 AM, brianthainess said:

Thought I'd point this out ; This is appears not about renewing a driving licence but obtaining one for the first time. It is not clear, surprise surprise, if that includes obtaining a Thai licence from your foreign one.

“First time TDL” is clear regardless of qualifications route. Western DL means TDL with no driving school tests only reaction / colour sight tests at DLT. 

On 5/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, ukrules said:

I'm speaking about the locals, many of them simply don't have a license. They also have no money either.

Well yes, many locals can hardly read let alone carry full driving documents ! But surely we’re talking about us farangs here !????????

20 hours ago, BonMot said:

This became an absolute disaster for me because of covid closures. The overt racism in two Bangkok offices, the shrugs and foot dragging. I lost my five year license. I don't own a car but all the drama made me do a total rethink on ever buying one here. I also understand the ownership and registration process is a nightmare as well. I save 850k, annual insurance by not owning.

Don't look to wealthy foreigners when the economy is slipping. If I was a multi millionaire I'd have had less patience thru it all.

DLT Licensing is separate from DLT Registration. You showed initiative by going direct to Two DLT offices but with no reward. 

Next step should have been Agent / Driving School for renewed TDL, especially if 1-3 years expired. 

New Vehicle Registration is all by Dealer without Owner DLT Visit. 

Used Vehicle Buy / Sale is by Seller & Buyer joint personal visit at DLT Office. Simple Admin Form / Inspection process. 

Explain your baffling 850k “saving” ?

21 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I leave the requirements to the agent I use. They tell me everything that is needed.

I have always transacted directly with Thai Govt. ……

EXCEPT used Agent for Retirement Stay & House Blue Book & Land Office, to avoid perceived high risk of getting messed around / humiliated or denied for these critical documents ! 

No Agent wanted to touch my Foreigner House Book application though. Soon found out why …..

12 week humiliation nightmare for myself & Thai Lady… free & granted though. Some Municipal just refuse or set insurmountable obstacles.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, thaiowl said:

You can renew your 5-year licence but need to pass an online test first and then book your renewal appointment. I went to my appointment today only to be knocked back 'cos i didn't have a medical certificate. When I last renewed in 2015, I didn't need one. Now you do.  This is not clear in the instructions on the DLT website, as per the attached. One set of instructions says you need a health certificate; the other set does not.

243250413_838612193512195_8165496691648853986_n.jpg

242891927_537499110882824_5679620518226268645_n(1).jpg

A yellow house book can also be used instead of a LOR

6 hours ago, RafPinto said:

What are you talking about?

I did my 5 year license last year May, no problem at all.
I bought a new car, no problem at all and it is in my name.

It was a 5yr renewal in Bangkok and an absolute nightmare. I can't be bothered. I can walk faster than traffic flows in Bangkok anyway. Another million baht towards a condo and while Thai condo is not exactly an appreciating asset it's far more than a car (which in all likelihood someone will slam into the back of anyway).

Pattaya DLT is walk in at the moment, just did my motorbike DL, PM me if you need up-to-date info.

I will say I have a feeling they like Farangs to go through "agents" where you pay something like b5000, in similar fashion as visas, you still have to go there, but its much easier

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seppius said:

Pattaya DLT is walk in at the moment, just did my motorbike DL, PM me if you need up-to-date info.

I will say I have a feeling they like Farangs to go through "agents" where you pay something like b5000, in similar fashion as visas, you still have to go there, but its much easier

Are you saying you used an agent......?

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Are you saying you used an agent......?

No I never did, all it cost me was B255 for the bike license, but loads there with agents, but it appeared i was the only one having to do the full tests, the 50 questions and physical driving test

A better way would be to go to Ban Saray school, where you do everything for B1000 and they give you pass papers

So my new license says valid from 2012 to 2028, even though last one it was 3 years out of date and could not renew

, thats why i could not just do a renew

Edited by Seppius
added text
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2022 at 7:35 PM, Digitalbanana said:

Just wasted my time registering for online queue and the Bangkok Area 3 office is greyed out - so online queue not available?

Do I just turn up and get served, or does it involve two visits?

Let us know what you find @Digitalbanana, I tried to register today as well and only found the Area Land Transport Office in Taling Chan available to sign up for instead of Chatuchak.