Need a driving licence in Thailand? Queue system now up and running for new applications

webfact

Need a driving licence in Thailand? Queue system now up and running for new applications

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The head of the Department of Land Transport Jirut Wisanjit has ordered that all DLT offices nationwide now handle applications for new driving licences.

The order refers to people who have not had a licence before. 

Applicants can use the DLT Smart Queue app to book a date at their local office.

Or go to https://gecc.dlt.go.th to book.

New licence applications at busy offices have been held up since mid-April and can be made from now until the end of the year, reported Daily News.

The chief ordered all offices to follow strict Covid-19 protocols.

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DSBones said:

Just been onto the website. No facility for English. Tried to register and it only accepts Thai ID card - no option to enter passport ID.

Went to the App. Offers option between Thai and English. Chose English. Took me to ID page - two options. Thai ID or Passport ID. Unfortunately, the option for Passport ID is greyed out and therefore cannot be used. Only option is Thai ID as per the website.

So, in short, no option available for me to register on the app or the website. I will give it a few days to see if the glitch is resolved.

If you have had the COVID jab, you will have a 13 digit reference number on your certificate or the app, shown as "ID card number" . Several people have used that to register as a "thai ID".

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The order refers to people who have not had a licence before. 

Thought I'd point this out ; This is appears not about renewing a driving licence but obtaining one for the first time. It is not clear, surprise surprise, if that includes obtaining a Thai licence from your foreign one.

Edited by brianthainess

You can renew your 5-year licence but need to pass an online test first and then book your renewal appointment. I went to my appointment today only to be knocked back 'cos i didn't have a medical certificate. When I last renewed in 2015, I didn't need one. Now you do.  This is not clear in the instructions on the DLT website, as per the attached. One set of instructions says you need a health certificate; the other set does not.

243250413_838612193512195_8165496691648853986_n.jpg

242891927_537499110882824_5679620518226268645_n(1).jpg

Edited by thaiowl
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

I made an account (with US passport).  I tried to book a resercation at the Bangjak Office but it was greyed out.(other areas were available but not Bangjak and not Chatuchak) 

My friend with a Thai ID was able to select the BAngjak office (Area 3)

I have a second question,  I hope to do 2 things at the same time 

1) renew my 5 year license (expires early August)

2) apply for a new motorcycle license (do I have to do a written test still or just the driving skills test)

The reservations asks if this is to renew a license or a new license.  I want to do both.

I am assuming both a car license and motorcycle license are usually on the same card.

Since I have a 5 year car driving license, will I get 5 years for

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 3:15 PM, ukrules said:

Lol, this is Thailand, nobody 'needs' a driving license, it is however better to have one.

How do you figure that ? You need TDL if driving here after initial 3 month period allowed for National License / INtl DP. Unless Uninsured. Otherwise your Vehicle Insurance Invalid and you are liable for millions of baht potentially for third party accident costs & possibly jailed pending 300k baht Bail Bond.

YDL also the very best form of govt. photo ID here so no need to use Passport ( except Imm, Bank or Land Office). That Pink ID Useless as not even govt.offices accept it here ! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

I made an account (with US passport).  I tried to book a resercation at the Bangjak Office but it was greyed out.(other areas were available but not Bangjak and not Chatuchak) 

My friend with a Thai ID was able to select the BAngjak office (Area 3)

I have a second question,  I hope to do 2 things at the same time 

1) renew my 5 year license (expires early August)

2) apply for a new motorcycle license (do I have to do a written test still or just the driving skills test)

The reservations asks if this is to renew a license or a new license.  I want to do both.

I am assuming both a car license and motorcycle license are usually on the same card.

Since I have a 5 year car driving license, will I get 5 years for

Separate TDL ID Cards for Car & Motorcycle. Same DLT process does for both if you have either national licenses or TDL.

Need Longstay Visa / Extn or House Yellow Book for new / renewed five year TDL. Otherwise ( Tourist Visa / Visa Exempt) 2 year TDL issued.

4 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

Separate TDL ID Cards for Car & Motorcycle. Same DLT process does for both if you have either national licenses or TDL.

Need Longstay Visa / Extn or House Yellow Book for new / renewed five year TDL. Otherwise ( Tourist Visa / Visa Exempt) 2 year TDL issued.

Actually everyone gets an initial 2 year TDL. Cannot go straight from national license to five year TDL  ( officially but try DLT Agent to get that initial 5 year MC TDL ????).

Personally if any Thai Govt website ( used only for Covid Vax) doesn’t work for me first time I go direct to govt office with all possible required  documents.

For Retirement Only went direct to carefully pre- qualified Visa Agent knowing I would probably be “ messed around” using Direct Imm approach. Avoided Financials too. 

Will not be messed around here with this stuff. Initial two Govt Covid Jab websites didn’t work for me first time. Went direct to Jab Centre and got it and subsequent jabs using Pink ID and Persuasion. 

2 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Thank you for the information

I hope I can get a new motorcycle license (maybe 2 years), and renew my 5 year Thai car license at the same time.  (I have a non-immigrant B visa and work permit)

I hope only need to take the driving exam for motorcycle (and the 3 test - reaction, color-blindness ...)

I got a residence certificate on 19 April, I hope it is good for 6 months - but not sure. 

I know I need a medical certificate - do I need 1 for car and 1 for motorycle? 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:54 PM, DSBones said:

Just been onto the website. No facility for English. Tried to register and it only accepts Thai ID card - no option to enter passport ID.

Went to the App. Offers option between Thai and English. Chose English. Took me to ID page - two options. Thai ID or Passport ID. Unfortunately, the option for Passport ID is greyed out and therefore cannot be used. Only option is Thai ID as per the website.

So, in short, no option available for me to register on the app or the website. I will give it a few days to see if the glitch is resolved.

Operator error I'll bet - try a different  browser  or use your vaccination ID number

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

Thank you for the information

I hope I can get a new motorcycle license (maybe 2 years), and renew my 5 year Thai car license at the same time.  (I have a non-immigrant B visa and work permit)

I hope only need to take the driving exam for motorcycle (and the 3 test - reaction, color-blindness ...)

I got a residence certificate on 19 April, I hope it is good for 6 months - but not sure. 

I know I need a medical certificate - do I need 1 for car and 1 for motorycle? 

No driving exam for western driving licenses . Med.  1 original +copy. 

5 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

How do you figure that ? You need TDL if driving here after initial 3 month period allowed for National License / INtl DP. Unless Uninsured. Otherwise your Vehicle Insurance Invalid and you are liable for millions of baht potentially for third party accident costs & possibly jailed pending 300k baht Bail Bond.

YDL also the very best form of govt. photo ID here so no need to use Passport ( except Imm, Bank or Land Office). That Pink ID Useless as not even govt.offices accept it here ! 

I'm speaking about the locals, many of them simply don't have a license. They also have no money either.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Just wasted my time registering for online queue and the Bangkok Area 3 office is greyed out - so online queue not available?

Do I just turn up and get served, or does it involve two visits?

Take an imminent flight reservation to collect your license in one visit.

15 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

This did not work at Lat Krabang office in February, earliest they would give me was June 24th despite my pleading I needed my renewal to drive in UK and I was flying 2 days later.

I found the app a few weeks back and managed to book an appointment online for renewal at Chachoengsao on May 5th, happy to say despite the distance it was a simple process providing paperwork was correct.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, kingkenny said:

This did not work at Lat Krabang office in February, earliest they would give me was June 24th despite my pleading I needed my renewal to drive in UK and I was flying 2 days later.

I found the app a few weeks back and managed to book an appointment online for renewal at Chachoengsao on May 5th, happy to say despite the distance it was a simple process providing paperwork was correct.

Yeah, I had already won my supervisor appeal for a new five year license based on pink ID card ( she offered only a 3rd 2 year TDL!) so she accepted my flight paper not wanting to lose face again….she used a card reader though to validate my pink ID card ….! 

Edited by TropicalGuy
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 8:27 PM, TropicalGuy said:

At Bangkok Area 3 ? You have experience of this? Anyone know why online booking appointment is not available and what is procedure for sure?

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:

At Bangkok Area 3 ? You have experience of this? Anyone know why online booking appointment is not available and what is procedure for sure?

I did it myself. Where doesn’t matter. Point is it can or might work so worth trying with little effort. 

Dont get this slavish exclusive adherence to govt. online systems & reporting when they inevitably don’t work.

Try them once only perhaps then move foreward by getting to govt offices ( yourself / agent/ driving school) with required papers.  
Ideally with Pink National ID / Yellow House Book/ Flight Ticket for a true Maximum Effort. 

I’ve only ever used Govt online for Covid Vax as no official choice.
After my “ once only” failed attempts on two systems I went to jab centre & got jabbed by producing my pink ID and negotiating. 

2 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

I did it myself.

OK you did it somewhere, but not necessarily Bangkok Area 3, thanks.

My experience so far is the DLT web site says you need an appointment booking. I tried the web site, no option for foreigner. I tried the DLT mobile queue app, where the option for foreigner register just doesn't work, but it does allow me to register and book an appointment using my foreign name and Thai ID# from yellow book. So I book and first available 1hr time slot is late September this year with 16 more spaces available in that time slot suggesting they process about 25 per hour and a wait time of 4.5 months.

So I guess I'll just barge in with passport one day in meantime with a fake imminent flight reservation as you suggest and see if that speeds it up.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

OK you did it somewhere, but not necessarily Bangkok Area 3, thanks.

My experience so far is the DLT web site says you need an appointment booking. I tried the web site, no option for foreigner. I tried the DLT mobile queue app, where the option for foreigner register just doesn't work, but it does allow me to register and book an appointment using my foreign name and Thai ID# from yellow book. So I book and first available 1hr time slot is late September this year with 16 more spaces available in that time slot suggesting they process about 25 per hour and a wait time of 4.5 months.

So I guess I'll just barge in with passport one day in meantime with a fake imminent flight reservation as you suggest and see if that speeds it up.

Still bound to your unresponsive aggravating digital world. Reluctant  to operate in the real world here. 

By now you could have been in and out of DLT with your license. Consider use of Agent if no direct office success or another DLT office.

You (we) are being messed around & humiliated with that absurd “September” appointment date for a simple routine Govt. function.

I for one will never again be so dealt with here. I endured this treatment once & once only here at Municipal getting my Yellow Book / National ID ; as an endurance / patience / experience exercise ( 12 weeks) and as not even my Judge Land Owner would deal as Agent with those corrupt mothers for less than 50k.

Your use of terms “fake” ,”one day” & “ barge in” are other indications of your prevarication & refusal to grasp the reality in Thailand. Flight Reservation would be Real. Can use or cancel after License obtained. 

10 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

You think the DLT will check on this?! Lol.

My ticket was real. Never occurred that people come here on one way flights. Never done that.Never understood it. I can tell you DLT did not check mine. Zero reason to do it.

This became an absolute disaster for me because of covid closures. The overt racism in two Bangkok offices, the shrugs and foot dragging. I lost my five year license. I don't own a car but all the drama made me do a total rethink on ever buying one here. I also understand the ownership and registration process is a nightmare as well. I save 850k, annual insurance by not owning.

Don't look to wealthy foreigners when the economy is slipping. If I was a multi millionaire I'd have had less patience thru it all.

Edited by BonMot

20 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

Did you use a foreigner registration option (I couldn't get it to work) or the Thai ID option?

honest answer is I don't recall however when I look at my profile on the app is shows only my passport number, its possible I used the number given when I got my vaccines.

18 hours ago, BonMot said:

This became an absolute disaster for me because of covid closures. The overt racism in two Bangkok offices, the shrugs and foot dragging. I lost my five year license. I don't own a car but all the drama made me do a total rethink on ever buying one here. I also understand the ownership and registration process is a nightmare as well. I save 850k, annual insurance by not owning.

Don't look to wealthy foreigners when the economy is slipping. If I was a multi millionaire I'd have had less patience thru it all.

What are you talking about?

I did my 5 year license last year May, no problem at all.
I bought a new car, no problem at all and it is in my name.