Tile In My Swimming Pool Came Loose

raro

a tile at the bottom of my swimming pool came loose. Now I tried to fix it with super glue, but unfortunately I cannot hold my breath long enough to press the tile against the wall. Any advise?

You'd be no good as the Count of Monte Cristo;)

Try draining the pool first! If thats a no - no then try the 'fun' way.

Whizz on down to the local scuba shop, rent a tank, a mask, a regulator, some weights and whizz back to the poolside. <They may/may not let you rent gear if you are an uncertified diver though. In which case pay for the cheapest diving course in town (the DSD - Discover scuba Diving course) and then rent the gear>

Don aqualung and take the plunge my friend :o

This is basic scuba kit and fins and BCD are usually needed but for a pool the conditions are super-safe

Alternatively just work on your breath-hold diving technique until you can outcool the Count himself :D

Edited by JimsKnight

Some good advice by the punters here.

But now seriously, here's what you do. I speak from experience, as an exgirlfriend had a screw loose that I had to go in and tighten and well.. I won't go into detail about that.

Ok. Take a cotton wool jumper with you, one that absorbs a lot of air.

Wrap it around your mouth and nose, like a mask, and then hyperventilate.

If you've survived this round, then you should be ok to progress.

Now jump into the pool, face first, ideally. and swim, in a counter clockwise direction. If you get beyond two meters depth, you'll need to stop at 2m30cm for 15 seconds decompression then continue spiralling down but now in a clockwise direction.

(PS: if you are south of the equator, you should invert the directions you swim in.)

Once you get to the tile in question, gently lift it out.

Now swim back out of the pool, doing everything you did before, but backwards, and with your feet above you as you rise.

At the poolside, get out, apply the super glue. Keep one finger on the glue, on the tile (to ensure you don't lose it). NOW. Dive, like a bullet, reallly really really quickly straight backt ot where you got the tile from, and stick it back in.

If anything goes wrong, you'll be dead so you won't be able to hold me liable.

At least when we come to the funeral, you'll have a drink coaster for me at your fingertips.

Adding onto that, if your still following the madness thats appeared on the thread then don a pair of concrete boots, lead belt and a goldfish bowl over your head with plenty of air minus gold fish and get stuck in! Ensure you life insurance policy is up to date first prior to undertaking suicide mission!

See you on the other side :o

Thanks for all your great input!

Kayo: I always thought decompression applies only when resurfacing, but not when going down...thanks for that tip!

TDSK: any idea where to get such dolphin? Maybe at the aquarium in Jomtien? Will they charge me ewxtra because I am Farang?

Jim: I thought about a lead belt already, but agree, the concrete boots might do a better job. My only concern is...how to get them off in time to resurface?

I am also thinkg about sueing the guy who stuck the tiles on in the first place, but it will be difficult to determine which one of the workers it was.

Raro

Superglue is no good it will not cure under water and tends to get brittle very quickly so the tile will dislodge when some one walks/jumps on it.

I have used an epoxy compound called Emerkit for such things in the past. It cures underwater and becomes very hard. It is also usefull for fixing leaks and making other things stay where they belong. Another benefit is it can be coloured to match grout or tiles. Not sure if it is available in LOS.

For breathing whilst fixing a snorkle with a long piece of pipe attached is the usual methoid, unless you have the scuba gear at hand.

CP

I think its obvious what you need to do.

Dig a hole parallel to the pool, about a meter or so away from the sidewall.

Tunnel up to the concrete wall of the pool.

Start taking precise measurements that will allow you to drill through the concrete with a 7/16 bit, right through the centre of where the tile is missing. Water pressure will push the debris outwards so none of the concrete dust will make it to the pool's filter.

Lower yourself slowly into the hold with the drill, and a pair of safety goggles.

About this time your neighbour will show up and say "Just drain the pool you silly tw@t!"

Listen to him. :o

There was some old geezer a few thousand years ago in the middle east had a similar problem, all he did was wave his arms in the air and the waters parted. You might find his distant relatives still have the necessary skills.

Alternatively I do know there are some ROV operaters on TV maybe they could come along with their kit and help out. I'm sure they'll offer a disciunt to a fellow TV member.

Start taking precise measurements that will allow you to drill through the concrete with a 7/16 bit, right through the centre of where the tile is missing. Water pressure will push the debris outwards so none of the concrete dust will make it to the pool's filter.

Lower yourself slowly into the hold with the drill, and a pair of safety goggles.

About this time your neighbour will show up and say "Just drain the pool you silly tw@t!"

Listen to him. :D

Priceless. :o:D :D

Listen to him. :D

:o:D :D

• 5 weeks later...
a tile at the bottom of my swimming pool came loose. Now I tried to fix it with super glue, but unfortunately I cannot hold my breath long enough to press the tile against the wall. Any advise?

You need to do it right glue is not going to do it.

you need a small work box you can vacume out then do the repair or dump the water

karl...