I phone woes

Almer

My I phone 6 s plus was struggling with little storage free after IOS had taken 12GB of the 16 available, not wishing to lash out on a new and being quite sentimental with my old friend I decided to give it an upgrade, new internal storage memory now 64Gb and new battery, 3000 baht and i keep my friend and have enough storage for a while, but why with my new storage is IOS only using 5.87Gb rather than 12 before the storage upgrade?

Any ideas?

23 minutes ago, Almer said:

but why with my new storage is IOS only using 5.87Gb rather than 12 before the storage upgrade?

Any ideas?

Perhaps the  extra space was taken up by  "unneeded" files   things like image cache,log files,crash reports,deleted but not really deleted files,  maybe filesystem corruption led to  inaccurate reporting of free/used size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OS will not use 12Gb on any iOS device, even with iOS 15.0.1 it is at 7.6Gb 

A reset back to factory settings will clear out all the cache files and other system resources.

the system data is variable and iOS will clear it out if it’s not needed, I had 4.8Gb used that just cleared itself down to zero.

5 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Go Android

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The OS will not use 12Gb on any iOS device, even with iOS 15.0.1 it is at 7.6Gb 

A reset back to factory settings will clear out all the cache files and other system resources.

the system data is variable and iOS will clear it out if it’s not needed, I had 4.8Gb used that just cleared itself down to zero.

Well that answers it thankyou

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

No iPhone 13 for you just yet then.

I was looking at buying my first ever apple (ipad) until I saw the paltry 64gb memory in the standard models. Upping to 256 and adding a pen and the price nearly doubles. I guess I'll just do without as I'm not paying that! 

The memory option is for those who want the lowest price, and will use the cloud for storage and backup.  Also apple doesn’t sell a pen and the iPad is perfectly usable without an Apple Pencil. I have been using iPads for ten years without one.

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

I was looking at buying my first ever apple (ipad) until I saw the paltry 64gb memory in the standard models. Upping to 256 and adding a pen and the price nearly doubles. I guess I'll just do without as I'm not paying that! 

I have been a Mac user for 30 years, and I never bothered with an iPad until a few years ago when I needed one for work, I ended up with the basic iPad for 15K - along with a Logitech crayon - after a few months I bought an air because I would often use it so much, when it came to work the battery was flat. I updated the original at the same time and mounted the old one on the wall for music and homekit control. The wife kept on using mine so I waited until the mini was upgraded and bought her one. 

They are just essential bits of kit, my only regret is not buying one sooner, like SWW says, you only buy the small one and use iCloud, no need to keep movies or music these days, keep it at home and stream or stream from the services. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I have been a Mac user for 30 years, and I never bothered with an iPad until a few years ago when I needed one for work, I ended up with the basic iPad for 15K - along with a Logitech crayon - after a few months I bought an air because I would often use it so much, when it came to work the battery was flat. I updated the original at the same time and mounted the old one on the wall for music and homekit control.

My use was from the 3rd generation (that one is still in mostly daily use), so 12 years, it took over from my MacBooks as my sole work computer about 10 years ago. I now treated myself to the 12.9” M1 and the Baseus double ended stylus. The stylus is really quite good and @$35 for a non artist may be even better than the ฿4,490 Apple Pencil. A stylus is far from required but at that price is a nice addition.

41 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

iPhone 6S ... OMG !! try using the jungle drums instead ... obsolete

Not at all, older hardware is eminently serviceable, Apple hardware is usable way beyond 7 years, all of it? No. Most of it? Yes. 
Also FWIW it is still supported by Apple.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, alien365 said:

To expand the memory of an iPhone/iPad you can always buy one of these

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sandisk-ixpand-mini-flash-drive-128gb-for-iphone-ipad-sdix40n_128g_gn6ne-by-mp2002-2-synnex-i1517586739-s4015072309.html

or even bigger

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/sandisk-ixpand-go-flash-drive-256gb-for-iphone-ipad-sdix60n_256g_gn6ne-by-mp2002-2-synnex-i1692096828-s4772874551.html

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

iPhones have the memory soldered onto the motherboard so an upgrade requires some significant work

They can swap out the memory chips in shops in Shenzhen , In fact you can go to shops and build your own iphone, they have chinese copies of all the hardware.

8 hours ago, recom273 said:

I have been a Mac user for 30 years, and I never bothered with an iPad until a few years ago when I needed one for work, I ended up with the basic iPad for 15K - along with a Logitech crayon - after a few months I bought an air because I would often use it so much, when it came to work the battery was flat. I updated the original at the same time and mounted the old one on the wall for music and homekit control. The wife kept on using mine so I waited until the mini was upgraded and bought her one. 

They are just essential bits of kit, my only regret is not buying one sooner, like SWW says, you only buy the small one and use iCloud, no need to keep movies or music these days, keep it at home and stream or stream from the services. 

Based on what you and others have said maybe 64 would be enough then. The 50gb cloud space looks OK for the price. Just need to decide whether the mini with 5g and a newer processor is worth the extra 6.5k in price to the standard. Then I'll probably get the cheaper logitech pen to keep costs down. 

6 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Based on what you and others have said maybe 64 would be enough then. The 50gb cloud space looks OK for the price. Just need to decide whether the mini with 5g and a newer processor is worth the extra 6.5k in price to the standard. Then I'll probably get the cheaper logitech pen to keep costs down. 

I suggest that you take a look at the Baseus dual tip pen I think it’s a better one than the Logitech one

F5431783-94B2-4059-BE25-00DA125266CE.thumb.png.0222d23ae463c34435b9bf95a7baa9f3.png
I won’t suggest which I pad is best as it’s different for everyone, but this may help

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Just my opinion, the new mini is overpriced - my wife has the model before the current one, it’s too small, I find the text too small, the icons fiddley - I found the base model ipad was too weighty. If I was holding it at the bottom, like a phone it was uncomfortable on my wrists, which is why I have an air (the model before last). 

Watch the videos, compare the different models, the best idea is to go try them in the shop, or borrow one from a friend for a while.

As said, you don’t even need a pencil, I bought the crayon because there were no cheap options at the time, there are a whole host of clones now. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The memory option is for those who want the lowest price, and will use the cloud for storage and backup.  Also apple doesn’t sell a pen and the iPad is perfectly usable without an Apple Pencil. I have been using iPads for ten years without one.

You can also put files in Dropbox? never have to worry about losing your device.