Recommendation for an HP Laptop rebuild - Tuc Com Pattaya

Doctor Tom

27 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Most likely cheaper to get a new laptop instead. You would need model specific type parts for this job, easy to do yourself if ordering online tho.

I already have a new one, but I am loath to part with this model, which was the most  expensive in the HP range when I bought it 5 years ago.  

5 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I have not used them, but told they are great by my Aussie landlord who has used them to build several computers ground up.

Pattaya2u

And I've had good Q and A with them via FB about my battery and charging issue.  Will be going there myself in day or two.

https://www.facebook.com/servicemacpattaya/

They just yesterday did some work for me which in the US would have taken a few days they took 2 hours great service fair prices

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

They just yesterday did some work for me which in the US would have taken a few days they took 2 hours great service fair prices

they quoted me 3800 for battery and service.  9500 from icare
(although, after reading up, I'm very reluctant to not get certain parts (like the charger) from non certified apple store).

However, cables, screens, batteries, I'll head here first.  Especially after other place wanted computer for 10 days.
they said 1-2 hour on site.

58 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:
1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Most likely cheaper to get a new laptop instead. You would need model specific type parts for this job, easy to do yourself if ordering online tho.

I already have a new one, but I am loath to part with this model, which was the most  expensive in the HP range when I bought it 5 years ago.  

I have an i5 ASUS laptop that just turned 10 years old that cost around 1000 bucks new. After the warranty expired about 6 years ago, it had minor problems like keys sticking and screen hinge issues. The battery needed replacing and the USB3 ports had also died. I checked eBay for model-specific parts and acquired various parts to restore the case and screen cosmetics for around 140 bucks. I also found a good mobo for another 150 bucks. I bought a couple of new batteries for about 40 bucks each. I replaced all the parts myself (plenty YouTube's on the subject) and apart from the USB3 outage, it was like new. I was about to change the mobo two years ago, so I upgraded it to W10 first. That restored full USB3 functionality so may have been the W7 drivers that were the problem.

A 5 year-old laptop should have plenty spare or "used but tested good" parts on eBay and the like so shop around and then take the lot to a shop in Tukcom and let them do the 'rebuild' if you're no up to a bit of DIY.

58 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I have not used them, but told they are great by my landlord who has used them to build several computers ground up.

Pattaya2u

And I've had good Q and A with them via FB about my battery and charging issue.  Will be going there myself in day or two.

https://www.facebook.com/servicemacpattaya/

where are they located please ? I don't have FB, Do they only service Apple products? 

Edited by Doctor Tom

There is an excellent IT repair shop behind Tuc -Com not far from the Car Park entrance and on the corner 

Forgot their Name _ sorry !

Have a word with them first is my suggestion, and maybe get a price for the work needed by you from them.

• Thanks 1

USB3 ports on a laptop are usually attached to the motherboard, that means entire motherboard replacement + battery + keyboard + screen issues. Doubt that is worth it VS buying a new laptop.

You could still use the old laptop as a computer for with the TV or a monitor too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

One thing I have found after owning 5 different notebooks over the years, is that they have all failed at the 3 to 5 year mark, and it is nigh on impossible to get them reasonably fixed after 4 years due to unavailability of parts and if available the cost is prohibitive.

Usually just pirate the parts that can be salvaged and junk the rest.

Edited by userabcd
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

where are they located please ? I don't have FB, Do they only service Apple products? 

It's in Tukcom
Google Pattaya2u for directions.

Believe do all pc repairs. As Landlord doesn't use apple products.

Speak English well I'm live chat messenger

• Thanks 1