Special Tourist Visa Availability (UK)

Hello,

Does anyone know whether the Special Tourist Visa is still an option when applying in the UK?

I read recently that the Thai government decided to make it available until October(?) 2022, however it doesn’t seem to be offered on the royal Thai embassy London website.

Many thanks.

It is shown on the London embassy website.

"Special Tourist Visa (STV) : for stay up to 90 days with possible extension of 90 days twice)"

See this page: https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

• Like 1

I'm currently going through the process of applying and I'm using this website:

https://thaievisa.go.th/

Not sure if it's because of our own personal circumstances but alongside the usual requirements, we're also being asked to provide bank statements for the last month, showing a balance of 5K GBP each when applying for STV for a 90 day stay. 

• Haha 1

What's interesting is, Thailand just announced earlier tonight that from 1 Nov - fully vaccinated travellers (from a select group of countries including the US and UK) who also has a negative PCR test on arrival will be able to travel to Thailand without any quarantine.

If so, I wonder if the STV holders from this select group of countries will also be exempt from quarantine?

10 minutes ago, 5ilver said:

What's interesting is, Thailand just announced earlier tonight that from 1 Nov - fully vaccinated travellers (from a select group of countries including the US and UK) who also has a negative PCR test on arrival will be able to travel to Thailand without any quarantine.

If so, I wonder if the STV holders from this select group of countries will also be exempt from quarantine?

Quarantine requirements on entry are a completely separate matter than the class of visa one is using. It might make a significant difference for UK travellers who will now the able to travel to and from Thailand without quarantine at either end. Personally, though, I do not regard Thailand as an attractive tourism destination at the current time.

Hi helpful people. I have 4 questions if anyone knows at all.

1) Any news if you still need COE from Nov?

2) Has anyone done the whole COE thing?

3) I heard for COE you have to provide proof of payment for hotels you will stay at for whole trip. Anyone know if this is true? If so It would put me off I think, I don't want to plan whole thing ahead, who knows how plans may change when I get there.

4) Internal flights are looking on? And do you have to pay approx 100 pounds for a test, even for internal flights?

Likewise for STV do you need to book hotels for entire stay before applying?

Ok, I guess that was 6! Any help much appreciated, keep up good work, I am thinking of maybe going to Thailand around 28th Dec.  Cheers!

10 hours ago, juleslondon said:

Not sure if it's because of our own personal circumstances but alongside the usual requirements, we're also being asked to provide bank statements for the last month, showing a balance of 5K GBP each when applying for STV for a 90 day stay. 

Financial proof is a standard requirement. From the embassy website I posted a link to earlier.

"UK/Irish bank statements with sufficient fund to cover your trip to Thailand"

The 5k GBP is a little over 200,000k baht that is one of the requirements for a METV so they may be using that as a requirement. On the  embassy in the US it only shows the equivalent of 20k baht that is a standard requirement for visa applications and entry to the country.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Financial proof is a standard requirement. From the embassy website I posted a link to earlier.

"UK/Irish bank statements with sufficient fund to cover your trip to Thailand"

The 5k GBP is a little over 200,000k baht that is one of the requirements for a METV so they may be using that as a requirement. On the  embassy in the US it only shows the equivalent of 20k baht that is a standard requirement for visa applications and entry to the country.

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation. This is why I found it surprising, the 20k THB vs 200k THB seems like quite a large difference. Would be interested in knowing if other UK applicants for STV are experiencing something similar. 

2 hours ago, brotherother said:

Thanks for all the above contributions.

Regarding the application process, does anyone know what, if any, proof of onward travel will need to be provided?

More specifically, is a flight out of Thailand within the 270 day maximum stay a requirement? 

Many thanks.

I applied for my STV back in April from London. One way ticket only.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, juleslondon said:

Ah ok, thanks for the explanation. This is why I found it surprising, the 20k THB vs 200k THB seems like quite a large difference. Would be interested in knowing if other UK applicants for STV are experiencing something similar. 

They like to audit your bank account just to make sure you have enough money for a longer stay, it was the same for the multiple entry tourist visa (METV) which I don't believe is available any more. So this is not something new but it's something that applies to visas that last a little longer, it's a well known requirement.

If you think that's intrusive just wait until you arrive and you see the covid restrictions they've got planned.

• Like 1