Water filter residue.

up2you2

Obviously a leak. The residue is either chlorine, calcium or salt. If you don'y have a salt chlorinator then its one of the other 2. If it is chlorine then you are running the ppm way too high. Calcium is a problem in most parts of Thailand.

If you are in the general Pats area PM to chat!

• 3 months later...
On 10/12/2021 at 8:24 AM, Bagwain said:

Obviously a leak. The residue is either chlorine, calcium or salt. If you don'y have a salt chlorinator then its one of the other 2. If it is chlorine then you are running the ppm way too high. Calcium is a problem in most parts of Thailand.

If you are in the general Pats area PM to chat!

Chlorine is a gas. Chloride is a soluble anion. Most probable cause is calcium deposition.

Test by running water over the deposit. If it dissolves, it's salt. If it fizzes when vinegar is applied, it's calcium carbonate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 10:04 AM, Lacessit said:

Chlorine is a gas. Chloride is a soluble anion. Most probable cause is calcium deposition.

Test by running water over the deposit. If it dissolves, it's salt. If it fizzes when vinegar is applied, it's calcium carbonate.

...I agree.  But the visible build up of sediment comes from evaporation of moisture leaving the salt and minerals behind to build up until its visible, so it seem like leaks are the culprit, the moisture evaporates and the build up comes over time whatever your chemical levels - but it's a good idea the the pH right, then total alkalinity, then chlorine.  I recommend a chlorinator if you don't have one already. PM me.

1 minute ago, bobholds said:

...I agree.  But the visible build up of sediment comes from evaporation of moisture leaving the salt and minerals behind to build up until its visible, so it seem like leaks are the culprit, the moisture evaporates and the build up comes over time whatever your chemical levels - but it's a good idea the the pH right, then total alkalinity, then chlorine.  I recommend a chlorinator if you don't have one already. PM me.

PS.  Dump you chlorine tablet dispenser as soon as you can afford a chlorinator. PM me with your pool dimensions & I will select the best machine for your pool and calculate how much start up salt you need..... 

I throw a handful of simple chlorine - the one without cyanuric acid - once a week (if I do not forget) in overflow tank where from it is slowly dissolved taken by the pump through the filter into pool.

No problem with any residua, nor with algae, they are taken care of by other means.    

Edited by Saanim