surgery for inguinal hernia

cmarshall

Where would be the best hospital to get surgery to repair an inguinal hernia?  If suitable, laparoscopy would be preferable.

Would such surgery be well within the capability of all the major hospitals?  Our default hospital is St. Louis.  

Especially interested in Sheryl's opinion.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:51 AM, Sheryl said:

St Louis is fine for this.

My nephew had hernia repair there with this doctor:

Dr. Narongsak Chongsiri

Dr. Narongsak seems very experienced.  However, so far no luck in getting a complete quote from St. Louis.  The surgery dept quoted their services on the back of a business card.  No detail on what it covers.  The nurse mentioned there would be other charges like pre-op testing, drugs, probably an anesthetist unless he's included in the surgery quote, etc., but no detail and no total.  Called to request a complete quotation and then... crickets.

18 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Dr. Narongsak seems very experienced.  However, so far no luck in getting a complete quote from St. Louis.  The surgery dept quoted their services on the back of a business card.  No detail on what it covers.  The nurse mentioned there would be other charges like pre-op testing, drugs, probably an anesthetist unless he's included in the surgery quote, etc., but no detail and no total.  Called to request a complete quotation and then... crickets.

I had a similar quote for a vasectomy, they said 11k-15k, they like keeping it vague. I would go back for more detail, maybe email is best

I had this operation done yesterday, and in the US. The surgeon prefers the open method to laparoscopy as the repair is stronger and apparently lasts longer. He gave me oxy for the pain but i didn't need or use any. Acetaminophen every 6 hours. Ibuprophen every 6 hours. Take dosages every 3 hours so they overlap.

24 hours after, no pain. The only issue is getting out of bed without stretching the stitches.

Can't recommend a surgeon there but thought the info might be helpful.

My surgeon could do either the lap or open and after 25 years operating prefers the open method. 

Edited by gargamon
  • Thanks 1

Have you researched exercises that strengthen the muscle walls in the area of the hernia . I have controlled mine for years  with only 5 minutes exercise per day ....a small price to paid for not going under the knife ....

I  weight train heavy every day   and made myself a weight belt with a padded section that goes directly on the herniated area  this gives me added security when working out .

PS it took a few attempts with different exercise to find the right ones that worked for me .. just start off very very cautiously and slowly built up over a few weeks .  

6 hours ago, cmarshall said:

When my nephew had it done we got a general (all inclusive except for pre-op consultation etc) quote from the Doctor and it proved accurate.

Anesthesia is normally included in the surgery quote. Follow up visits afterward would not be, but will be cheap.

Note that costs will vary depending on how long you stay in the hospital and type of room.

As it is not a fixed package rate all they can do is give you a ballpark estimate.

7 hours ago, banglay said:

Have you researched exercises that strengthen the muscle walls in the area of the hernia . I have controlled mine for years  with only 5 minutes exercise per day ....a small price to paid for not going under the knife ....

I  weight train heavy every day   and made myself a weight belt with a padded section that goes directly on the herniated area  this gives me added security when working out .

PS it took a few attempts with different exercise to find the right ones that worked for me .. just start off very very cautiously and slowly built up over a few weeks .  

Hadn't heard of that possibility, but will look into to.