low risk countries

rodknock

they are really not low risk countries (because they have a lot of positives there right now), but the richest.

So far the USA, UK, Germany and Singapore named.

Some also speculate about australia and china.

Naming those allows travellers to adjust their routes and depart from them, and getting back to their home countries without detour.

By not naming all 10 the government has chance to expand this list at anytime.

It well might be 20 or 30 and added to this list everyday one by one.

They don't really have to wait for the next opening stage on 1st December.

They will play by ear how situation develops in thailand and in those countries withing coming weeks.

Sometimes there are bilateral diplomatic agreements, not necessarily based on epidemiological situation. 

2 hours ago, malibukid said:

why would anybody from a low risk country want to risk it in Thailand?

Maybe because many low risk countries has many more cases per day and capita than Thailand. Today Thailand had about 10,000 new cases with 70M people and UK had 49,500 cases on their 69M people. 

These numbers don't mean a lot.
We should compare the rate of positives. Even that, must take into account how many where actually vaccinated.
And finally, none of this matters because travellers are supposed to be fully vaccinated and to take a test at departure and at arrival.

So, just R E O P E N.

People at risk can take extra care, or stay home. The rest can carry on.

Edited by arithai12
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, internationalism said:

Naming those allows travellers to adjust their routes and depart from them, and getting back to their home countries without detour.

I'd be very surprised if its as easy as that.  You may be required to show proof of where, you've been for the last 10-14 days prior to departure.  We don't know the details yet.

People who've lied on their passenger locator forms about where they've been when they arrive in the UK have been prosecuted - I suspect that your passport reveals such information when its scanned.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, internationalism said:

they are really not low risk countries (because they have a lot of positives there right now), but the richest.

Just my opinion but I've had a few Covid/Travel related dealings with the Thai & UK governments in recent months and I've formed the opinion that all these matters are decided for political reasons. Given what's going on with China at the moment, the West is keen to maintain relationships in S.E. Asia.  I think they'll find though, that Thailand will 'ride both horses' - as it always does.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

Maybe because many low risk countries has many more cases per day and capita than Thailand. Today Thailand had about 10,000 new cases with 70M people and UK had 49,500 cases on their 69M people. 

Would TH have more cases if they tested more?

Little Austria with 8.5 mio ppl did 179.000 PCR tests yesterday. Infektion approx 2.000. 62% vaxxed. We are not on the "list" it appears.

Question: how do you determine low risk?

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, Eaglekott said:

but add in the pot holes, Thai drivers, poor infrastructure.  your way ahead

On 10/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, Eaglekott said:

Meaningless comparison as the UK has something like 420,000 PCR tests/day (plus further ATK) https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/testing whereas in Thailand it is 56,000 on a good day (plus further ATK) https://www3.dmsc.moph.go.th/# for a roughly similar number of people.