Immigration Will Not Extend My B Visa

Oh dear, I can see myself living in Cambodia soon....

I've received some good advice as to how I can remain in Thailand for 1 further year, by extending my non-imm B visa. My background is:

- British, living in Thailand for 5 years using non-imm B visas issued each year by Hull consulate, Uk

- Never worked in Thailand, B visa issued on basis of owning a Thai ltd company and/or owning a Thai business (hotel)

- Bring UK income of 500k+ baht/month into Thailand for past 5 years

- 48 years old, legally married to Thai and have 1 baby son

I want to extend my existing visa so that I can start down the route to PR. But I'm excluded from applying for an extension for most reasons:

- I am under 50

- I do not work in Thailand

- I am legally married, but neither me nor my wife have a verifiable income, (my UK income is actually from offshore, and the UK embassy will not provide confirmation of this). I am getting divorced from my wife, so support of a Thai wife is no longer a valid reason

Greg gave good advice that I could follow an educational course, and I have been accepted for an MA in Thai Studies at Chula.

Now, checking with immigration re the necessary documents to bring next week, they tell me that I cannot extend my existing B visa on any grounds, because I should not have been issued with it in the 1st place because I do not work in Thailand! Apparently, owning a Thai business is not a valid reason (according to them) for being issued with a B visa....

They say that I need to exit the country and apply for a new O visa for support of a Thai wife - even though this seems a totally invalid reason. And it does not help me to start down the PR route.

I have 10 days to resolve this. If it cannot be resolved, then I will not remain in LoS and live on tourist visas. I will take myself and my money to another country, and only visit my son when the Thai authorities deem it possible!

Any suggestions? Truly, I am getting very tired of all these hassles. I love Thailand very much and want to remain here for the rest of my life. But it seems that 'investors' are no longer welcome here.

Simon (having a bad hair day)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've received some good advice as to how I can remain in Thailand for 1 further year, by extending my non-imm B visa. My background is:

- British, living in Thailand for 5 years using non-imm B visas issued each year by Hull consulate, Uk

- Never worked in Thailand, B visa issued on basis of owning a Thai ltd company and/or owning a Thai business (hotel)

I want to extend my existing visa so that I can start down the route to PR. But I'm excluded from applying for an extension for most reasons:

- I am under 50

- I am legally married, but neither me nor my wife have a verifiable income, (my UK income is actually from offshore, and the UK embassy will not provide confirmation of this). I am getting divorced from my wife, so support of a Thai wife is no longer a valid reason

Greg gave good advice that I could follow an educational course, and I have been accepted for an MA in Thai Studies at Chula.

Now, checking with immigration re the necessary documents to bring next week, they tell me that I cannot extend my existing B visa on any grounds, because I should not have been issued with it in the 1st place because I do not work in Thailand! Apparently, owning a Thai business is not a valid reason (according to them) for being issued with a B visa....

They say that I need to exit the country and apply for a new O visa for support of a Thai wife - even though this seems a totally invalid reason. And it does not help me to start down the PR route.

I have 10 days to resolve this. If it cannot be resolved, then I will not remain in LoS and live on tourist visas. I will take myself and my money to another country, and only visit my son when the Thai authorities deem it possible!

Any suggestions? Truly, I am getting very tired of all these hassles. I love Thailand very much and want to remain here for the rest of my life. But it seems that 'investors' are no longer welcome here.

Simon I am sorry to hear of your troubles but I find it hard to beleive that the UK Embassy has refused to give you an 'income letter' on the basis that your income was offshore.

I have a UK passport but my income is from an other country in Asia. There was no problem for them to issue the letter.

You could also go the 'affidavit' way where you swear of XXXX and the Embassy verifies your signature not the contents of your statement.

This also should be accepted by immigration. (it was for my certificate of residence required by immigration for my 1st extension)

They will require some kind of paperwork but they seemed (at least in my case) very accomodating.

This letter of income seems to be the key to open a possibility of an extension

Good luck

Edited by Krub

- I am under 50

JR Texas: Incredible but unfortunately true........the crazy visa/business rules and regulations are certifiably CRAZY!

I wish I had a solution for you.....maybe your situation can be worked out, but from where I sit it looks like the visa bar is going to be raised until all of us are out.

And if I here one more person say the visa changes are all about stopping visa runners and crime, I think I will explode.

Good luck.......I am sure some useful information will follow.

Wow Simon, I have been following your seemingly never-ending string of bad luck in Thailand. Now to add insult to injury you are faced with a visa problem. You wouldn't be able to extend it based on support of wife because they will require your wife to attend etc., to prove you are a legitimate couple, show pictures etc., and as you are estranged and getting divorced this won't work without some tremendous wiggling.

The investment extention was eliminated to stop the mafia types with money "buying their way in," and you are under 50, so very tough.

However, it seems to me as you own the hotel, and have employees you should be able to get a work permit and a new B visa for that. You might have to go out to Singapore to get the new visa or something, but seems to me Sunbelt or somebody could find a way for you. Good luck.

Simon, why not just go this route for the next couple of years till you turn 50 ? Even if it is 'Invalid'

it seems to address your short term problem.

Any special reason why you bring in so much money ? Thailand could be a very different

place five years down the road.

Naka.

Simon, why not just go this route for the next couple of years till you turn 50 ? Even if it is 'Invalid'

it seems to address your short term problem.

Any special reason why you bring in so much money ? Thailand could be a very different

place five years down the road.

Naka.

Immigration has become increasingly tough and discouraging on Marriage visas. Even two years ago this was starting and we had to attend together for interview, show pictures of the happy couple, house address, etc.. Later, I changed to retirement extension, and they were very happy to process that and told me outright that they believe so many marriages in the kingdom are shams. So, they may scrutinize that closely.

The newly applied visa regulations seem to make things difficult, and do create a new source of income for the immigration. My "B" extension has been processed with hesitation and had been recommended to change to a marriage visa because "very difficult for non B" and hinted that some tea money is required.

In your case I would try to apply for a work permit, since you have a business that shouldn't be too difficult. The only trouble is that the company is getting scrutinized to death, at least that happens in my case. Will try the PR thing once this year, if it doesn't work change to a "O" visa, reducing my company's tax payments by quite a bit with that.

By next year we should have a new government installed, maybe there is some hope.

Yes, I can go away for 2 years (with tourist visa visits) and come back when I'm 50. But that means that I will never be able to go for PR (or extremely unlikely). Besides, I think it unlikely that I would even want to live in a country which has effectively 'thrown me out'!

The comment re getting a WP for the hotel is good, but I've covered this before in another post. I cannot get a WP as hotel manager because a) I don't live/stay at the hotel :D It's a guesthouse and not a hotel but the local OrBorTor is too lazy to issue a hotel licence which they erronously insist that we have. Without this licence, I cannot get the hotel manager WP c)I would nead to create a ficticious new position, such as 'booking engine software support manager' for the hotel, then get a WP, then pay taxes for 3 months before I would be able to apply to extend my visa based on this work. But I don't need to work anyway!!!

I'm sure some will say 'well, if you can't follow the visa rules, then tough'. That's honest comment. But as far as the B visa is concerned, I WAS following the rules as issued by the consulate. Unfortunately, Thailand is a country of ever-moving goalposts and decisions based on the whims of individuals.

If I need to relocate, then Laos is maybe of interest, (if they allow long-stayers?). Cambodia seems to under-developed and foreigners seem to be tainted with a big sign saying 'I am a sex tourist'. Not for me. I'm aware of the Malaysia MyHome program. I need to do some research.

Does anyone have any links to Laos resources, visas, forums etc??

Simon - still smiling - life is never meant to be easy! :o

- I am under 50

Simon, why not just follow their advice? The objective is to get a visa; not to do things correctly...remember TiT. In a couple of years you will be 50 and then smooth sailing.

Get another B visa from back home.. If you get a second passport this can be done while you take a nice peaceful vacation somewhere..

Do your 90 day visa runs.. Screw em for the taxes.. Forget about PR.. Rinse and repeat next year. Once over 50 pull the retirement card out of the hat.

They want to make it a series of hoops then jump through the minimum amount possible.. I no longer have any sympathy for the system or desire to contribute at all when they simply put higher and higher barriers in the way of contributing.

Yes, I can go away for 2 years (with tourist visa visits) and come back when I'm 50. But that means that I will never be able to go for PR (or extremely unlikely). Besides, I think it unlikely that I would even want to live in a country which has effectively 'thrown me out'!

The comment re getting a WP for the hotel is good, but I've covered this before in another post. I cannot get a WP as hotel manager because a) I don't live/stay at the hotel :D It's a guesthouse and not a hotel but the local OrBorTor is too lazy to issue a hotel licence which they erronously insist that we have. Without this licence, I cannot get the hotel manager WP c)I would nead to create a ficticious new position, such as 'booking engine software support manager' for the hotel, then get a WP, then pay taxes for 3 months before I would be able to apply to extend my visa based on this work. But I don't need to work anyway!!!

I'm sure some will say 'well, if you can't follow the visa rules, then tough'. That's honest comment. But as far as the B visa is concerned, I WAS following the rules as issued by the consulate. Unfortunately, Thailand is a country of ever-moving goalposts and decisions based on the whims of individuals.

If I need to relocate, then Laos is maybe of interest, (if they allow long-stayers?). Cambodia seems to under-developed and foreigners seem to be tainted with a big sign saying 'I am a sex tourist'. Not for me. I'm aware of the Malaysia MyHome program. I need to do some research.

Does anyone have any links to Laos resources, visas, forums etc??

Simon - still smiling - life is never meant to be easy! :o

JR Texas to Simon: Don't want to get off track, but I think many expats would probably tell you to avoid Laos and move to either Vietnam or Cambodia (if those are your choices).

The sign that says "I am a sex tourists" is around the necks of virtually every farang in Thailand, especially those living in Pattaya-Jomtien.

Malaysia is a Muslim country and the govt. is trying hard to increase the size of their population by millions of people (crazy policy that will ruin the economy and cause massive social chaos in the future....already thousands of unemployed and underemployed college graduates there....never read about this on the forum).

Vietnam is a rising star........booming economy........they want you and your money.

Cambodia is trying to get its act together. Expats (that have had enough of the BS in Thailand) are moving there from Thailand....taking their money and businesses with them. In five years places like Sihanoukville might just be comfortable........not much there now, but the potential for development is there.

China is not a bad place to hang out for a year or two.........I really liked it and you can enjoy mountains, cool weather, great food (much better than in Thailand) and change of seasons. The people in China (outside of the big cities of Hong Kong and Shanghai) are really nice, for the most part.

GOOD LUCK!

- I am under 50

You can bring UK income of 500k+ Baht a month, and you wanna move to Cambodia? I'm sure you could choose to live anywhere in the world if you had that kind of income. :o On 500k+ Baht/month and wanna move from Thailand to Cambodia. :D:D

On 500k+ Baht/month and wanna move from Thailand to Cambodia :o

Read my original post before making stupid comments like this! I don't WANT to move to Cambodia! But the wonderful visa rules in Thailand are making it more and more likely that I have no choice but to move me and my money to a more welcoming country.

Simon

On 500k+ Baht/month and wanna move from Thailand to Cambodia :D

Read my original post before making stupid comments like this! I don't WANT to move to Cambodia! But the wonderful visa rules in Thailand are making it more and more likely that I have no choice but to move me and my money to a more welcoming country.

Simon

You've managed to earn 500k+ a month, I think you should have the brain capacity to know that there are other countries besides Laos and Cambodai that welcome people with that kind of income. So why restrict yourself to just those two countries? :o

On 500k+ Baht/month and wanna move to Laos or Cambodia because it's hard to get a proper visa in Thailand. :D :D :D

Edited by ThaiGoon

On 500k+ Baht/month and wanna move from Thailand to Cambodia :D

Simon

The basic question is why are you only looking at countries like Laos and Cambodia (as an alternative to Thailand)...with the kind of income? :o:D

500k+ a month and wanna live in Laos or Cambodia. :D

Yes, there are other countries. But I love Thailand. That's why I live here. That's why I invested 10 million baht to build a hotel business. That's why I married a Thai lady and have a Thai child. That's why I bring money into Thailand (last month it was 750k baht). But, in spite of living here for 5 years, in spite of learning to read/write/speak Thai etc etc bla bla bla bla bla . . I am still treated like some short-stay sex tourist :o

Cambodia certainly does not thrill me. Maybe I need to split my time with 3 months in LoS and 3 months elsewhere. But to me, that makes me sound more and more like a sex-tourist!!

Anyway, moaning does not help the matter. I don't wish to relocate to another area of the world because my baby son is in Thailand and I need to try to get custody of him, (and I'm sure that's not going to be an easy task).

Simon

PS - With 500k+ baht/month, I can sure put some money in the bank if I stay in Laos/Cambodia!

On 500k+ Baht/month and wanna move from Thailand to Cambodia :o

Simon

JR Texas to Simon: ThaiGoon just did the same type of thing on another thread that I posted something on (on the thread about Thailand Being Down, Never Saw It Like this Before).

I wrote something that I thought might be of interest to readers and all he/she said was that my words were like manure. Apparently, ThaiGoon has a turd in his/her pocket.

I understand that you prefer to stay in Thailand and have financial and social commitments in the country.

I understand the insanity of the visa/business rules and regulations and how they are pushing good and decent people out of the country.

Good luck to you..........I hope a solution reaches you.

Well, enough discussion of Simon's reasons for wanting to remain in Thailand. He has already made that perfectly clear. If someone doesn't have any constructive advice to offer then please refrain from posting what amounts to useless responses. Some of which have already been deleted.

Simon, I understand it is impossible for you to get an extension of stay based on a marriage non-O. But as you are still married you could get a multi entry non-O. It wouldn't solve your PR desire but could get you closer to the retirement age mark.

Sbk - Yes, I could go overseas and get a multi-non-imm-O, or maybe even another non-imm B from the UK (since I am sure they will consider it valid to do this since I own a business in Thailand.)

I'm going to take a day or 2 to list all my options, and then make a decision. I have to say that moving from LoS to Laos is high on my list of options. I previously lived in Nong Khai (for a short time), and have visited Laos on many occasions over the past 15 years or so. Maybe I should take a 2 year sojourn in Laos, improve my Lao language skills, and then come back to LoS when I'm ancient at 50 years old :o

Simon

JR Texas to Simon: Don't want to get off track, but I think many expats would probably tell you to avoid Laos and move to either Vietnam or Cambodia (if those are your choices).

JR,

Interesting that you would say that. I've been thinking about maybe leaving Thailand. I'm sick of BKK, and with the poorer treatment that Farang have been getting here, I was cosidering Laos. I want to live somewhere quieter, and remember that I enjoyed my stay in Vientiane years ago. Why would you say that Laos would be a place to avoid?

I've also been thinking about a move to the provinces in Thailand, but since I'm out of the country frequently for my work and have no Thai wife or serious girlfriend to keep track of the place, I would be concerned about my home being robbed in the provinces while I was away. I'm also concerned about safety issues in the provinces, which seem to be more dangerous than BKK. My feeling would be that if I were living in the provinces, I would probably have to own a firearm. Any suggestions?

I know this post is slightly off the topic of Simon's problem. Simon, sorry to hear of your problems with the visa. It just seems to be another example of things being made more difficult for long stay farang. I hope that you can get things sorted out acceptably. Don't worry about the accusations of being a sex tourist. In SEAsia, many will think that about all westerners who visit the country. Do whatever works best for you and ignore all those who will prejudge and make comments without knowing your true situation

JR,

Interesting that you would say that. I've been thinking about maybe leaving Thailand. I'm sick of BKK, and with the poorer treatment that Farang have been getting here, I was cosidering Laos. I want to live somewhere quieter, and remember that I enjoyed my stay in Vientiane years ago. Why would you say that Laos would be a place to avoid?

I've also been thinking about a move to the provinces in Thailand, but since I'm out of the country frequently for my work and have no Thai wife or serious girlfriend to keep track of the place, I would be concerned about my home being robbed in the provinces while I was away. I'm also concerned about safety issues in the provinces, which seem to be more dangerous than BKK. My feeling would be that if I were living in the provinces, I would probably have to own a firearm. Any suggestions?

I know this post is slightly off the topic of Simon's problem. Simon, sorry to hear of your problems with the visa. It just seems to be another example of things being made more difficult for long stay farang. I hope that you can get things sorted out acceptably. Don't worry about the accusations of being a sex tourist. In SEAsia, many will think that about all westerners who visit the country. Do whatever works best for you and ignore all those who will prejudge and make comments without knowing your true situation

JR Texas to VOA: The moderators want this thread to focus on solutions for Simon.........email me and I will tell you what I think about Lao and why I said what I said.

I suspect Simon would find it nearly impossible to get custody of his son if he were to be shown as living in Laos.

I agree, and putting this in the context of his impending divorce and other difficulties, and given the fact that he has a nice income, he might be wise to consider negotiating the entire thing with the ex-wife in return for ongoing support. BTW, isn't there a visa for suppport of a minor child?

I'd consider Laos as a retirement joint, but not if I had to raise/educate a child, nor if you want to continue on as a hotelier. Used to go to Vientiane every three months, very nice to visit, met some people on pensions/retirement funds, mostly happy, relaxed. You gots to be highly motivated in the self-entertainment dept. though!

Anyway, moaning does not help the matter. I don't wish to relocate to another area of the world because my baby son is in Thailand and I need to try to get custody of him, (and I'm sure that's not going to be an easy task).

Simon

PS - With 500k+ baht/month, I can sure put some money in the bank if I stay in Laos/Cambodia!

get your ass off to the best lawyer you can in thailand. get custody of your son (i did-it is not too difficult).

a threatening-sounding lawyers letter alone is often enough to do it- most thais do not understand anything about the law and the courts and will not fight you in court-they often think that a lawyers letter is something like a court order, if it is worded a bit ambiguously. an offer of money also often helps. this will fail if you arer "trying to do the right thing" and haxe told her you will be paying maintenance for the child-she would probably think she could live comfortably enough off that. she would probably get bored of looking after a child and palm it off to her mother or a sister to look after anyway. i know it sounds callous and hard, but you have to get tough if you want to succeed.

with custody of your son you could get a visa. there is also something i read about being issued a visa if you are involved in litigation in thailand, and this might be an option,-i dont really know . either way,-get to the lawyers NOW.

good luck-don't give up. remember that your son's future is at stake!

frikkie

Simon:

Forget our B visa, what you need to do is have a continuous stay in Thailand to qualify for PR. Naturally you have other reasons.....

Answer,.....Elite Visa.....

It is the cheapest answer to your problems, and you can do it in the 10 days remaining....Leaving your home, business, family, etc will cost more than this permanent visa.

(Yes I know almost everyone on this board hates this visa, but look at the practicality of the situation).

The comment re getting a WP for the hotel is good, but I've covered this before in another post. I cannot get a WP as hotel manager because a) I don't live/stay at the hotel :o It's a guesthouse and not a hotel .....

Since you have a Thai co., ltd - what prevents you from getting a WP as managing director for that company? You know, managing director is a totally different occupation than hotel manager. Managing directors hires and fire hotel managers.

Can't talk about officialdoms practices in your area, of course but around here there are several companies running nothing but a guest house, where a foreigner has WP as managing director. There even are a couple of companies running nothing but a bar, but yield a WP for the managing director, nevertheless.

Yes, there are other countries. But I love Thailand. That's why I live here. That's why I invested 10 million baht to build a hotel business. That's why I married a Thai lady and have a Thai child. That's why I bring money into Thailand (last month it was 750k baht). But, in spite of living here for 5 years, in spite of learning to read/write/speak Thai etc etc bla bla bla bla bla . . I am still treated like some short-stay sex tourist :o

Cambodia certainly does not thrill me. Maybe I need to split my time with 3 months in LoS and 3 months elsewhere. But to me, that makes me sound more and more like a sex-tourist!!

Simon

Simon,

You don't have to leave Thailand even if you get a divorce, Thailand won't refuse you entry as you have a dependent Thai child living in Thailand. Assuming that your son is a Thai national, you should always be able to get non-imm O visas by showing your son's birth certificate at the Thai embassy.

Cheers