A Long Lan Connection

joka

Hello,

I was hoping I could share my internet connection with my neighbor. Is it o.k. to use a 50 metre LAN cable, or will the signal degrade? Any suggestions on how to protect the cable from the weather? Maybe a pvc pipe? Thanks!

Cat5 network cable can be up to 100 meters long, as long as it's used between a hub/switch and your pc...

Straight connections between 2 PC's (with crossover cable) is much more limited in length, but not sure about the maximum...

Hello,

I was hoping I could share my internet connection with my neighbor. Is it o.k. to use a 50 metre LAN cable, or will the signal degrade? Any suggestions on how to protect the cable from the weather? Maybe a pvc pipe? Thanks!

No problem as long as the cable is not the cheap cat5 crap. PVC pipe will be ok too.

Not a problem. I'm running CAT5-e cable between two buildings at work which is 90+ meters. PVC will be fine and cheap/easy to install. In my case I'm running it through metal grounded pipe due to the routing running over the top of a machine shop. Arc welders have a tendency to create havoc with UTP ethernet. :o

Not a problem. I'm running CAT5-e cable between two buildings at work which is 90+ meters. PVC will be fine and cheap/easy to install. In my case I'm running it through metal grounded pipe due to the routing running over the top of a machine shop. Arc welders have a tendency to create havoc with UTP ethernet. :o

Outdoor UTP is suitable but little expensive.

Running a CAT cable is maybe not a real good idea as its not allowed acording to most ISP contracts to share ur conection with a neighbor....

Some ISP used to make a problem if you even had more then one PC hooked up to the ADSL line using a router , not any more as they now give you a ADSL with hub build in , was no way to check on people anyway , but sharing with ur neighbore is easy to check if you use a CAT cable!

Not sure they would catch u easy if u used a wireless link , but I am not sure if the range of these wireless links is enough , maybe if its in direct view it could work.

Edited by brianinbangkok

You might just want to use a wireless connection, if you have clear line of sight. It's normally easier than laying down proper outdoor cable (which can be quite troublesome at times), and 50 meters shouldn't be a problem (for line of sight). You could also make a parabolic dish to improve the signal.

Had a similar situation here. I am up north, rural location, no wired broadband. Had IPstar installed and shared the connection with my neighbour. Pretty soon they all wanted to share. Here is some advice -

1. The cat-5e STP 50m easy. See the 802.3u specs

"Each network segment can have a maximum distance of 100 metres (330 ft). In its typical configuration, 100BASE-TX uses one pair of twisted wires in each direction, providing 100 Mbit/s of throughput in each direction (full-duplex). See IEEE 802.3 for more details."

HOWEVER in practice its is difficult to get past 30m.

2. You may run into problems at that length if you want to inject power for POE 802.3af. I guess you will not be doing this though.

3. I would advise you add surge protection at each end.

4. If you dig a trench and use rodent resistent pvc pipes.

5. You will want to use outdoor cat5e or cat6e.

6. Like anything else in life you can buy cheap and replace often or buy quality and forget about it. If I was installing the link this is the cable I would use - http://www.showmecables.com/productDetails...?idproduct=5175

If you set up a wireless network you can share your connections with your neighbours and charge tham a small fee each month for the service. If you are going to go down this route you will need to get a(some) good outdoor anttena(s). At present this is the way I go, share the connections over a 1Km radius using various WAGs. Revenue more than pays for my internet connections. If you are interested google WISP (stand for wireless ISP.) and really pay attention to lightening protection - you dont want to burn down somebody's house. Some good kit to get is the netgear WAG302 dual band radios.

If you want any advice on setting up the network let me know. I used to do this stuff professionally back home.

Posted before I was finished:

It is difficult to get over 30m but if you are connecting one PC the signal should still be strong enough. See http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/cabling.html

TP, or Twisted Pair Ethernet is the modern equivalent of 10base2 cable systems. Far more flexible, neater and less prone to network faults, TP appears on a myriad of networking and communications equipment. If you have your single PC already connected to your CM then you are already using RJ45 TP cabling and it will almost probably feature in your network. CAT5 cable consists of 4 pairs of wires, with each pair being two insulated copper wires twisted together. These 'twisted-pairs' are then sheathed in a plastic outer sleeve that come in a variety of colours, although 'computer' beige is probably the most common;-). The standards for ethernet over Cat5 cabling define a maximum length of 100 metres for operation at 10MBps, but in practice it is perfectly possible to extend this maximum by 20 or 30 metres without detriment to network communication.

Posted before I was finished:

It is difficult to get over 30m but if you are connecting one PC the signal should still be strong enough. See http://www.networklab.co.uk/cmodem/cabling.html

TP, or Twisted Pair Ethernet is the modern equivalent of 10base2 cable systems. Far more flexible, neater and less prone to network faults, TP appears on a myriad of networking and communications equipment. If you have your single PC already connected to your CM then you are already using RJ45 TP cabling and it will almost probably feature in your network. CAT5 cable consists of 4 pairs of wires, with each pair being two insulated copper wires twisted together. These 'twisted-pairs' are then sheathed in a plastic outer sleeve that come in a variety of colours, although 'computer' beige is probably the most common;-). The standards for ethernet over Cat5 cabling define a maximum length of 100 metres for operation at 10MBps, but in practice it is perfectly possible to extend this maximum by 20 or 30 metres without detriment to network communication.

What a difference a one makes itsd meant to read 130m

Just when I was about to jump all over it. :o

And I did forget about the surge protection. The 90+ meter run I have has UTP surge protectors on both ends.

Just when I was about to jump all over it. :o

And I did forget about the surge protection. The 90+ meter run I have has UTP surge protectors on both ends.

Yep, glad I read everything before jumping in :D

I was going to say spec. to 100m, I've had it working at 10Mbs over 150m :D

Surge suppressors are VITAL!!!