Is Wifi Free Available at BKK?

gk10012001

I have a smart phone.  But no data plan or carrier chosen yet.  I still use my old 3g Flip top, voice and text for now.  My smartphone is a Moto G7 power and wifi worked great here in the USA right out of the box, no SIM card needed.   I have downloaded apps, played with the phone a bit, checked it out, and run it through its paces while I decided what USA or international plan or carrier to switch to.

So if I land at BKK can I immediately power on my smart Phone and connect to wifi, in case I need to show use some apps or show some QR code or something?  I have read elsewhere that Wifi was available, one had to register at a desk, than others said, no need to go to a customer service desk, you can just select the wifi that your phone will show, do a quick register, etc.  One video on you toob seemed to show the person not even entering the name or passport number and was able to register.

• Sad 1

It's available but not easy to access unless you can read Thai, and I don't know but there might be passwords known only to a few.  Several months ago I went to a service desk to do it but that's not an option before the first document check for current arrivals.  This week I asked one of the staff shepherding the new arrivals if he could do it and he did, but that's not to say you'll get a helpful staff member with the time and knowledge to do it.

I only used it however to top up my phone and activate the data package and my advice would be to have printouts of all documents you might be asked for.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, treetops said:

It's available but not easy to access unless you can read Thai, and I don't know but there might be passwords known only to a few.  Several months ago I went to a service desk to do it but that's not an option before the first document check for current arrivals.  This week I asked one of the staff shepherding the new arrivals if he could do it and he did, but that's not to say you'll get a helpful staff member with the time and knowledge to do it.

I only used it however to top up my phone and activate the data package and my advice would be to have printouts of all documents you might be asked for.

Thank you.  I appreciate the boots on the ground report. 

• 3 weeks later...

I entered thru BKK Fri 5th Nov.

I did not need my phone for any of the arrival procedure (which was very well organised).

Free WiFi was available, it took a few taps to set it up, first you have to change the language, top right corner I think.

• Like 2