Bangkok warned of 0.40m rise in Chao Phraya River between October 23-30

snoop1130

bkk-flood.jpg

Thailand’s Department of Public Disaster Prevention and Mitigation has notified the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to advise the city’s riverside residents to brace a rise in the level of the Chao Phraya River from this Saturday until October 30th.

In an urgent letter, sent to Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang yesterday (Monday), the department’s director-general, Boontham Lertsukheekasem, said the department, in coordination with the Meteorological Department and the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute, forecast that the rate of water from the Ping River, one of the four tributaries of the Chao Phraya, expected to flow through Muang district of Nakhon Sawan province will increase from 2,484 cm/second to between 3,000-3,100 cm/second from this Friday.

To manage the runoff from the Ping River, an amount of the water will be diverted into retention areas, via a network of irrigation canals, but most of it will be discharged through the Chao Phraya Dam in Sapphaya district of Chainat, at an average of 2,700 cm/second.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-warned-of-0-40m-rise-in-chao-phraya-river-between-october-23-30/

Logo-top-.png

I hope the rains and flooding stops before November 1st.  I was in Thailand for the last big flood of Bangkok and

getting around many places were a challenge. Good thing that most of my Thai relatives live in high areas

in the city and only had a few problems when it rained and the water was even higher. Even some of the bus

stations were under water and people had to get off the buses in other places.  The 4 wheel drive vehicles were very 

popular back then, and most of my relatives still have at least one, for these times.

Geezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

getting around many places were a challenge. Good thing that most of my Thai relatives live in high areas

in the city and only had a few problems when it rained and the water was even higher.

Even if you were dry, the grocery store shelves were picked clean. The further out you were, the harder to get basics, even bottled water. And remember that was with Bangkok being evacuated by a significant portion of the population, which went back home. I remember how the streets were almost empty of cars.