Confession For Being Anti-farang(as It Seems)

meemiathai

I want to thank the mods for being so tolerant towards me. Sorry for being so critical of farangs for the past few years. I didn't mean it. I appreciate a lot actually for what they have done to this world. I mean just look at this brilliant website!

I hope I never have upset anyone here. I wish everyone happy. There are lots of good people here. Even those who complain a lot about thailand. There seems to be a lot to say but I couldn't figure out what to write.

Thanks cdnvic for understanding me. And Kmart, don't get angry, I'll still continue. But don't get too serious, they are just for fun.

Goodnight, just came back from a night out.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodnight, just came back from a night out.

Don't worry meemiathai, I have typed out many a post after a ' night out '.

Most of my Farang bashing posts are typed when totally sober though, you'll be back to normal soon as the hangover wears off.

Keep up the good work, besides, the site needs some balance.

Don't change. :o

Doesn't this post sound a bit suicidal? :D

No sane person commits suicide over a forum. meemiathai won't either. :D

No sane person commits suicide.

Don't talk about things you know nothing about. :o

meemiathai,

Don't change your ways. I remember one particular argument you & I had about drug smuggling, when I was a newbie, on "clippings". While you kept on arguing & didn't back down, you never descended into personal insults, as so many do. You're a pleasure to debate with :D

Don't EVER apologize for having a personal opinion on anything.

While I do disagree with the majority of 'foreign bashing' that takes place on this forum; I realize the opposite happens all to frequently as well.

I will always accept and defend your right to an opinion, however diametric to my own it may be.

Your predilection to voice anti-foreigner views are much needed in a forum about differing perspectives here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

It is the very things we differ on which make this even a remotely interesting forum to peruse.

In short, while I am loath to admit it; it is our differences which bring us together.

That said; I won't ever be a mindless sheep, embrace my 'thai-ness' or my 'inner thai'.

Bash away. ..

OP is Thai? Or Chinese?

A gentleman of Hong Kong with a Thai Mrs.

asian farang? what would be considered farang? a person from a western country or someone not thai?

Im from NZ as you probably have noticed but I wouldnt consider myself a westerner as such.

any comments?

OP is Thai? Or Chinese?

asian farang? what would be considered farang? a person from a western country or someone not thai?

Im from NZ as you probably have noticed but I wouldnt consider myself a westerner as such.

any comments?

Since most of the residents of NZ have Western roots in their distant past, you'd be considered a Westerner. Even if you're from NZ's East Coast. Sorry, guilt by association. :o

Edited by toptuan

Your predilection to voice anti-foreigner views are much needed in a forum about differing perspectives here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

It is the very things we differ on which make this even a remotely interesting forum to peruse.

T Daniels is actually making sense..............( I never thought I would see that )

If this forum was only Thai bashing, it would be really boring, many posters here bash Thailand and Thai people at any given opportunity, western folk feel superior to everyone else, therefore anything lacking in another country must be attributed to the whole population of that country, it's typical colonialist thinking.

It's actually Bullshite.......................... every dog has it's day, and in the not too distant future, Asian Kids will wonder how on earth the Europeans and the Americans had so much power years before.

Western domination will be a thing of history, just as the Might of The Egyptians, The Greeks, The Mongols,The Romans, The Ottoman Empire, Spartans, Trojans and the freekin' British empire are all things of the past!!

Edited by Maigo6

OP is Thai? Or Chinese?

any comments?

Since most of the residents of NZ have Western roots in their distant past, you'd be considered a Westerner. Even if you're from NZ's East Coast. Sorry, guilt by association. :D

you probably wouldnt think so if you saw me, even if I told you I was born, raised and lived in NZ

:o

Edited by Donnyboy

Descent is more important than nationality when determining who is a farang and not.

In the eyes of a Thai, a 'farang' is mainly somebody who looks like a Westerner (Caucasian features), regardless of where they come from. Sometimes people who do not look extremely Caucasian are also called 'farang' or commented on for being 'farang' in a cultural sense - based on the things that Thai person associates with Western culture.

You don't know me and you don't know what I know. Don't assume you think you know what I know. If you think you know something then that's ok. If you have anything furthur to add about what you know or don't know, feel free to post it. Stop telling others not to talk about it.

Descent is more important than nationality when determining who is a farang and not.

In the eyes of a Thai, a 'farang' is mainly somebody who looks like a Westerner (Caucasian features), regardless of where they come from. Sometimes people who do not look extremely Caucasian are also called 'farang' or commented on for being 'farang' in a cultural sense - based on the things that Thai person associates with Western culture.

yep, that sounds right to me.

no comments re suicide- too heavy for me-

although I always wondered if it was possible to get life membership to the Suicide Club? -sorry bad joke :o

Western domination will be a thing of history, just as the Might of The Egyptians, The Greeks, The Mongols,The Romans, The Ottoman Empire, Spartans, Trojans and the freekin' British empire are all things of the past!!

Maigo....I didn't know that you are American! :o

You don't know me and you don't know what I know. Don't assume you think you know what I know. If you think you know something then that's ok. If you have anything furthur to add about what you know or don't know, feel free to post it. Stop telling others not to talk about it.

You don't know much about that subject or you wouldn't have come out with such a ridiculous generalisation. Firstly, I was a nurse & had experience with suicidal patients. Sanity and illness such as depression are not mutually exclusive.

Secondly, my father killed himself four & a half years ago. He was perfectly sane & killed himself to get the family out of a financial hole via an insurance policy (yes, it paid on suicide, no, we didn't know his plans until it was too late). So, there's one sane person who committed suicide. Your statement is wrong.

Amen to that, Rain.

The suicides I know of were quite determined in the way they went about it.

Most of the botched attempts seemed to be more of a cry for help and not necessarily meant to be successful.

I will get into the topic later but this is a nice discussion to get into.

If it arrives the day arrives when my health is simply not good enough to take care of myself, then I would expect to be sane enough to kill myself....for me it would not be a better way to leave this wonderful world than choosing my way...it would be a privilege.

I respect those who are on wheelchair or in a bed depending on others care, but I hope this will not be my way...and I think I am pretty sane.

---

Coming back to the topic....I am called a farang because I do not look Asian, but I am Latino and my perspective is totally different than the Caucasian ones.

I am not an anti-Caucasian at all, but sometimes I regard some of their attitudes as arrogant and patronizing, attitudes that are only supported by a self-believe of superiority. I know also that I have learn a great deal of good things from their culture and way of thinking, things that were denied to me on my native culture, and that definitively have contributed in my life for the better. But I have no apologies at all for my reaction towards what I think is wrong from them.

Edited by torito