Current requirements for checking-in and boarding on international flights at Suvarnabhumi, PCR-test needed?

I am going to leave Thailand end of October, to Germany, and I am fully vaccinated, have both the "EU Digital Vaccination Certificate" and the yellow vaccination book. As far as I know, for EU citizens there is currently no need to do an additional pre-flight PCR-test.

But, I am wondering if there maybe is a local Thai rule that I additionally need a negative pre-flight PCR-test for checki-in and boarding on Suvarnabhumi. 

Any ideas and info about that available?

Thanks for your feedback! 

• Like 1

As i just checked KLM for a flight from BKK to Amsterdam Schiphol  we Dutch or Belgium or any other E.U.  need still those tests as Thailand is for E.U. still a red zone with high risk , only U.K.  made it green list , so be aware if you have a stop over .

And as i see travell to Germany by you , i guess the rules are possible same as any E.U. country 

https://thailand.diplomatie.belgium.be/en

I. Procedures for travel to Belgium from Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Thailand

All travellers must fill out the Passenger Locator Form (PLF) and indicate where they have stayed during the 14 days previous to arrival in Belgium.

(I) Based on the recommendations of the European Council, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar are situated in the red zone. Every person above the age of 12 who travels from one of these countries and does not have his or her primary residence in Belgium, needs to be in possession of:

- OR a negative PCR test, executed not more than 72 hours before arrival in Belgium;
- OR a certificate of vaccination, a test or proof of recovery form Covid-19. A certificate means either the European digital COVID-certificate (obtained in an EU member state) or – in the future – a certificate delivered by a third country that is recognized as equivalent by the European Commission. The recognition of certificates of the four countries concerned is currently being discussed. The information on this website will be updated once more information on the recognition is available.

In practice, in view of the different requirements introduced by airlines and transit countries, we nevertheless also advise travellers with primary residence in Belgium to take a Covid-test maximum 72 hours before arrival in Belgium, in order to avoid problems when boarding.

Better check specific your airline requests , as airline boarding is your first hurdle and they are the boss 

Edited by david555
  • Like 2

I don't see an issue for my final destination in The EU, the country whose citizenship I have. There shouldn't be any issue, even no quarantine, as I am vaccinated.

It's more that I am not sure if possibly Thailand has it's own rules for boarding an international flight in BKK. Some people told me that a negative PCR is (or was) a MUST, but I couldn't find any official information yet. Of course I'd prefer to safe the cost, time, hassle and also possible risk of a false positive result, if a test is not mandatory for boarding the plane.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:51 PM, Flying Saucage said:

I don't see an issue for my final destination in The EU, the country whose citizenship I have. There shouldn't be any issue, even no quarantine, as I am vaccinated.

It's more that I am not sure if possibly Thailand has it's own rules for boarding an international flight in BKK. Some people told me that a negative PCR is (or was) a MUST, but I couldn't find any official information yet. Of course I'd prefer to safe the cost, time, hassle and also possible risk of a false positive result, if a test is not mandatory for boarding the plane.

I have heard the same thing, and plan to do a PCR test two days prior to the flight, as most clinics require overnight for the test results. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I have heard the same thing, and plan to do a PCR test two days prior to the flight, as most clinics require overnight for the test results. 

In the meantime I called:

- My airline Turkish Airlines: No requirement from their side, at check-in they only follow the rules of the final destination of the passenger.

- My embassy in Bangkok: They said no need for PCR for me as I am fully vaccinated. They confirmed that also for checking-in at Suvarnabhumi.

- A phone number at Suvarnabhumi airport: They said I must ask my airline

- Another phone number at Don Muang Airport: They said I must ask my embassy.

So finally I decided to take the remaining risk and not to do a pre-flight PCR. 

Might it be that the must for a PCR is only for domestic flights, but not when you leave the country?

6 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

- My airline Turkish Airlines: No requirement from their side, at check-in they only follow the rules of the final destination of the passenger.

- My embassy in Bangkok: They said no need for PCR for me as I am fully vaccinated. They confirmed that also for checking-in at Suvarnabhumi.

Might it be that the must for a PCR is only for domestic flights, but not when you leave the country?

Please let us know how you get on as far as yes or no when the day arises.

I would do the test to avoid any surprise brouhaha during check in. There is a phrase some love to use which is you should cover all your bases to ensure no reason is found to offload you or refuse that precious OK TO BOARD.

I especially hate it when I am told and assured one thing pre-departure and nobody knows what i'm talking about or give me blank stares while checking in.

Gute Reise! Ich vermisse mein Heimatland ????

Edited by mvdf

42 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

The PCR test is mostly for my Thai wife, who has not been able to get one of the better vaccines yet. And for transit. 

Once back in the US, she will immediately get Moderna, with no wait, no appointment, no cost and a free, instant Covid test again, which is now required in LA County. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

The PCR test is mostly for my Thai wife, who has not been able to get one of the better vaccines yet. And for transit. 

Once back in the US, she will immediately get Moderna, with no wait, no appointment, no cost and a free, instant Covid test again, which is now required in LA County. 

She will be able to get it upon arrival at the airport.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

She will be able to get it upon arrival at the airport.

I don't know about that. That would be wonderful. But there are countless vaccination locations set up that are easy and free, without any hassle or waiting time. 

Edited by spidermike007

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't know about that. But there are countless vaccination locations set up that are easy and free, without any hassle or waiting time. 

Having spoken with friends and my family in the US the large airports have vaccination sites on location. You can check on the Airport website.

https://www.foxla.com/news/covid-19-vaccines-now-available-to-the-public-at-lax

Here is the one for LAX

Edited by ThailandRyan

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Having spoken with friends and my family in the US the large airports have vaccination sites on location. You can check on the Airport website.

https://www.foxla.com/news/covid-19-vaccines-now-available-to-the-public-at-lax

Here is the one for LAX

Nice! But we arrive late and we prefer Moderna. 

On 10/26/2021 at 5:22 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Please let us know how you get on as far as yes or no when the day arises.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:55 AM, spidermike007 said:

On 10/26/2021 at 5:34 AM, mvdf said:

I would do the test to avoid any surprise brouhaha during check in. There is a phrase some love to use which is you should cover all your bases to ensure no reason is found to offload you or refuse that precious OK TO BOARD.

I especially hate it when I am told and assured one thing pre-departure and nobody knows what i'm talking about or give me blank stares while checking in.

Gute Reise! Ich vermisse mein Heimatland ????

Dear Ryan, Mike, mvdf,

I am back to Europe now. When I arrived to Suvarnabhumi, the first I did was to ask the Information desk. They confirmed that from the Thai side there is no need to show a negative PCR for check-in.

So, it only depends on the airline, the country of destination, the passengers vaccination status, the passengers nationality, and how the country of destination classifies Thailands safety status. Thailand doesn't bother when a foreigner leaves the country on a foreign airline and does not insist on a PCR for that.

Hope that info helps.

• Like 2