Chanthaburi - Central mall under construction, due 2022

gomangosteen

Projected for completion mid-late 2022, the latest shopping mall complex from Central Pattana is well underway on the outskirts of Chan city, as shown in these drone pics.

300 shops over 75,000sqm, and a quoted 3.5 billion baht investment, I'm surprised to see it being built here, not a big population base , at present we have Tesco Lotus / mall, Big C, Robinsons, none of which every seem too busy to me.

Pics from their Facebook page

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

22 hours ago, johng said:

Not sure is such a good idea to be right next to that river.

It's not the Chanthaburi river. That is a flood diversion canal, controlled by several dam stations, taking excess off the Chan flow through the city. Given the huge downpours last week, and nil flooding in that area, appears to be safe in that regard.

• 1 month later...

Funny to hear it referred to as outskirts of Chan city. We live in the Muang district and call that downtown lol. 

Central Pattana it is. There are over 20 cities in Thailand with greater pop than Chan yet Central skipped over many of them to build here (and also Ayuddhya and Sri Racha in this round) - says a lot about the city and its future imo.

Also, there is word that another development is about to be announced. Apparently the final deal was just agreed, so an announcement hopefully will come soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2021 at 1:09 AM, kuma said:

Funny to hear it referred to as outskirts of Chan city. We live in the Muang district and call that downtown lol. 

Central Pattana it is. There are over 20 cities in Thailand with greater pop than Chan yet Central skipped over many of them to build here (and also Ayuddhya and Sri Racha in this round) - says a lot about the city and its future imo.

Also, there is word that another development is about to be announced. Apparently the final deal was just agreed, so an announcement hopefully will come soon.

Off topic I know but are restaurants allowed to sell alcohol - after 16 December.?

On 12/14/2021 at 4:29 PM, pontious said:

Off topic I know but are restaurants allowed to sell alcohol - after 16 December.?

Late to reply but we just had visitors and it is a tit scenario, some places have freely available, some in coffee bags, some not at all. Best to check in advance if a must part of your meal. The places more off the beaten track have more flexibility imo

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2021 at 2:48 PM, gomangosteen said:

It's not the Chanthaburi river. That is a flood diversion canal, controlled by several dam stations, taking excess off the Chan flow through the city. Given the huge downpours last week, and nil flooding in that area, appears to be safe in that regard.

Add to the beauty.  Maybe a river/canal walk.

It's great having a nice mall close by.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Add to the beauty.  Maybe a river/canal walk.

It's great having a nice mall close by.

There are river, canal, estuary, seaside walks all thru the province, including the canal where Central is being constructed

2 hours ago, kuma said:

There are river, canal, estuary, seaside walks all thru the province, including the canal where Central is being constructed

I haven't been to that province for 15 years.

I'll have to make a trip of it.

32 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I haven't been to that province for 15 years.

I'll have to make a trip of it.

It is worth it imo. Of the 50+ provinces I have visited over 20 years this is the one I picked, hands down, to buy land and hang out - sure was the right decision for us

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kuma said:

It is worth it imo. Of the 50+ provinces I have visited over 20 years this is the one I picked, hands down, to buy land and hang out - sure was the right decision for us

We're looking to buy land (my wife is anyway).

Much cheaper than Pranburi and Hua Hin.

Definitely on our radar.

Happy New Year!

Plus plenty of Durian down there.

6 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

We're looking to buy land (my wife is anyway).

Much cheaper than Pranburi and Hua Hin.

Definitely on our radar.

Happy New Year!

Plus plenty of Durian down there.

Just returned from Chumphon / PKK. Both nice spots but do not stack up, imo, to the package here.

We bought and put up a small place to have max room for fruit n other garden. As of now have Durian x2 (Monthong n Chanee), Mango x3, limes, pomelo x2, coconut x2, banana x5, papaya, and a few others I may be forgetting plus a load of herbs n veg going as well. Pretty full on work but transitioned to this just in time it seems, as it has been over a year now and what a year it has been - everywhere else, here is sabai as it gets from what I can see....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Chan 'Central' is advertised as opening in June ! Whilst the progress has been amazing - that looks VERY ambitious to me. I pass it several times a week, most of the roof is on but as far as I can see, they are not yet in a position to start fitting it out ! There's a lot to do.

The location is less than a KM from the existing 'Robinsons' complex. The 'river' as mentioned is a flood relief system 7 km long, it's called 'Bakhti Rampai' I think - there's a cycling / jogging track along both sides with a number of bridges and a few Restaurants. The Sirivej Hospital next door has a large 6 floor unit under completion and close by, a large block of Apartments is completing. Chantaburi is certainly a developing place so it must be prosperous - fruit, gemstones, seafood etc. etc.

I don't like these 'Central' type places much myself - to me it seemed Chan already had PLENTY of retail shops and plenty of empty property too. I'll be a 'needs only' visitor . . . . The land adjoining the canal is increasing in price and in 10 years time, I'm guessing it will be all built up.

Chantaburi is a great place IMO but like everywhere, Covid has taken it's toll on the Restaurant and Music scene.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Not interested in the shopping ... but they've done a nice job on the canal side of Central Chanthaburi with walking track, playground, outdoor eating, and a dog exercise area. 

I was out biking, used to ride here a lot before the Bhakti Rambai canal system was developed and the sealed pathways/roads built. Somewhere there may still be the area of concrete I rode through not realising it was fresh, leaving a line of wide mountainbike tyre imprints. Now it's sealed both sides, enjoyed peadalling alongside the waterways.

A few photos from Wednesday.

View across the canal from Central Chanthaburi to the hills of Namtok Phliu National Park

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The small dog exercise area - for small dogs!

spacer.png

And remember this, by the canal-side entrance, public toilets

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...