Kasikorn Bangkok banks will open one with a passport with valid visa. Opened one on a tourist visa and one with a non (o). Take a local if you don't speak the lingo or go to BKK Bank HQ in Silom road.

jackmuu: when did you opened one ? because in december just with tourist visa, it was not possible, and i tried maybe 10 differents bank.

Hi, kasikorn I have had for a while (few years) and that was the one I opened on a tourist visa, the BKK bank one I opened around October last year with Non (o) visa. BKK bank said no problem with the Non (O) but they won't accept 30 day tourist visa.

In my personal experience, and those of colleagues and friends, it's impossible to open an account at Bangkok Bank now without a work permit. They're just not having it. My Thai secretary went with one person to seven different branches (including head office on Silom) last week and all said no.

It's not impossible but it's getting much harder if you don't have that all important blue book.

Another thing to consider is to get a Thai with some big money and clout to take you to his branch and introduce you (makes a big difference with mortgages etc.) going there with a lowly office girl who will wai and "Ka" all the time might not be the best way forward. The work permit requirement is standard blab when you go in but bear in mind that TIT and when you put some big money on the table and ask to see someone higher up the food chain you can get very satisfactory results.

Tried to open an account at Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai. Turned down twice at different branches, Nov. 2006. Tried again in Pattaya in May 2007. OK, need to go to immigration for a `certificate of residence'. Argued with the immigration officer for a brief minute about why I needed the account - for bank transfers from BofA in America with fees much lower than swift code charges - told her I needed it for Visa application purposes, need to show a bank balance at least 3 months old. Finally had all the necessary docs and Bangkok Bank opened the account. BB would not approve Internet Banking on only a passport, will have to wait till I return in 2008 with the proper visa.

wallyc

In my personal experience, and those of colleagues and friends, it's impossible to open an account at Bangkok Bank now without a work permit. They're just not having it. My Thai secretary went with one person to seven different branches (including head office on Silom) last week and all said no.

It's not impossible but it's getting much harder if you don't have that all important blue book.

I opened an account yesterday at the Bangkok Bank in Patong Phuket with only a passport. I have a type O multi. Same when I opened at Siam Commercial. Nothing else required.

I opened an account yesterday at the Bangkok Bank in Patong Phuket with only a passport. I have a type O multi. Same when I opened at Siam Commercial. Nothing else required.

I have several accounts with BKK bank branches outside thailand with a total balance exceeding 6 figure USD, and I pay thousands of $ in fees yearly (I am still a lowly retail customer, but I am at least profitable for them).

Walked into bkk bank HQ, no visa, no work permit - girl refused, said I could only get a useless non-resident account with no online banking etc.

Called my Thai lawyer, he sent me to a friend managing an SCB branch - I got an account immediately, with internet banking and mastercard debit card.

I sent an email to my BKK Bank account manager - she replied something like "I am sorry, but you should have asked me to send an introduction". <deleted>.

Anyway - what I think I learned:

1) never expect to accomplish anything without an introduction

2) Don't expect bank employees to act rationally in their own best interest

3) Even if you have an existing banking relationship - every branch is a separate kingdom.

Edited by typist

I can tell you about one specific set of circumstances. An American friend of mine moved over here to retire. He went to Siam Commercial Bank and they refused to open an account for him. I sent him to Jomtien immigration and told him to tell the immigration officer that he needed to open a bank account in order to obtain a retirement visa. Immigration wrote a letter and verified the address for my friend to give to the bank. He returned to Siam Commercial and was able to immediately open an account complete with an ATM card. You do NOT need a work permit.

Correct, you do NOT need a WP.

Why is it that some people assume just because they haven't been able to get one that it is impossible?

To prove a point, I just went in to BKK bank branch opposite central ladprao and asked what I would need to open an account, said I had Non (o) and would like to pay in X amount per month from overseas and they said no problem. I double checked by asking about a work permit and they said it is not required.

I have been to 5 different Banks and they all said no work permit- no account

BBK Bank Main Branch Silom

Bank of Ayudhaya

Thai Bank

BKK Bank Yaowarat Branch

Kasikorn

I have been to 5 different Banks and they all said no work permit- no account

BBK Bank Main Branch Silom

Bank of Ayudhaya

Thai Bank

BKK Bank Yaowarat Branch

Kasikorn

But you have a valid visa and a letter of introduction in Thai?

Maybe you just have an unlucky face :o

YOU DONT NEED A WORK PERMIT TO GET A BANK ACCOUNT. i got one after trying for a long time.

IT JUST MAKES IT A HE LLA LOT MORE DIFFICULT. the stars have to be lined up right ,etc. the person you ask needs to be intelligent and more important helpful.

its just a numbers game, with thousands of branches in thailand youll eventually hit the i opened a bank account jackpot.