I have an annual visa I will be renewing this summer. I am eligable for a married-to-Thai visa and a retirement visa. Is there any advantage of my getting one as opposed to the other? My age will never drop but my wife may.

I have an annual visa I will be renewing this summer. I am eligable for a married-to-Thai visa and a retirement visa. Is there any advantage of my getting one as opposed to the other? My age will never drop but my wife may.

I call this forward planning. :o

Retirement, you know what is required and needs doublwe the amount in bank,

but it's yours. However, you cannot get a work permjit on retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Canadian citizen married to a Thai citizen. We were married and still maintain our permanent residence in USA. We own a condo in BKK although that is still in her son's name until she updates her Thai ID with her new married name. We plan on living here part time, perhaps 6 months of the year in one or two visits. This will probably continue for many years until we live here full time.

We're in the process of getting her previous divorce papers and our marriage certificate transalted into Thai in order to update her Thai ID.

We are currently in Thailand with me being here on ordinary 30 day non-visa visit. What is the best visa for me and what is the easiest way for me to get it?

This site has already provided a lot of useful information and I appreciate everyone's willingness to help.

Axel,

Does that mean you can get a work permit with a married visa? :o

Yes, bangsaen bob, if you hold a non-imm O based on marriage you can use this to apply for a work permit.

Of course, all other requirements must be fullfilled, comapny willing and being able to hire a foreigner etc. etc.

Thanks Axel. Will you or someone compare the two options. I do not need to work and can meet the financial requirements of either.

You have been given the basics. 400k for marriage or 800k for retirement. With marriage you must appear with wife every year and then again after six weeks to obtain final stamp. With retirement it can, at least sometimes, be done in one visit it seems; and you do yourself. Retirement requires medical and no work permitted. Marriage requires wife's id card copy and a good relationship.

You can always change if the need arises so it is really 'up to you'.