Opinion: Child abuse scandal highlights the necessary debate needed in Thai society

webfact

te1.jpg

By Natcha Patanasophon

A famous Thai musician is under fire for images posted on social media which show him inappropriately touching his daughter.

The controversy has sparked an online debate about what is considered appropriate interactions between parent and child and over Thailand’s poor record in protecting minors from sexual abuse.

This event should serve as a watershed moment in Thai cultural history and spark debate over whether we should reconsider the level of intimacy between parents and children.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/34404/opinion-child-abuse-scandal-highlights-the-necessary-debate-needed-in-thai-society/

ti.jpg

14 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Absolutely disgusting behavior of a father to his daughter , very clearly child abuse of the sexual kind and needs to be taught a severe lesson in what not to do to children . 

There are other children in the family, one has to question whether they too may have been subjected to such behaviour, and it has been normalised within the family. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s poor record in protecting minors from sexual abuse.

Not only from fathers but also siblings and mothers renting them out...

I really feel sorry for young girls in Thailand, they're a born target.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

While yes his actions are not proper the bigger question is not what should happen to him BUT how much of this goes on in Thai society?

Is this a norm in Thai villages or Thai families.

Having taught in Thai high schools where there boys seem to think that girls are there for them and teen abuse is covered up by the school you have to wonder.

It is <deleted> horrendous at times, the stories my daughter and son tell me. Luckily my daughter is 5ft11, built like an athlete and slaps harder than a Russian in a slapping competition.

Edited by bangkokbonecollector

"Thailand’s poor record in protecting minors from sexual abuse."

"Poor record"   compared to which of the many Asian and middle eastern countries  exactly?? Let us not start with Africa.

A western liberal perspective - a good start but hardly a game changer....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mayhem11 said:

Have you seen the evidence or just mimicking shock horror.

As a teacher in a Matayom school had a female student and her friends come to me. Already knew something was amiss when she sat facing the other direction in class so that I could not see the bruises on her arm.

Yeah I have seen it personally 

I have also seen the school cover it up and do nothing as it would damage their rep.

I knew the boy as it is a small school and told him if he did it again I would not report it but would resolve situation.  

She was 15 years old he was 16 thought that it was normal for a guy to treat a girl that way.

5 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

She was 15 years old he was 16 thought that it was normal for a guy to treat a girl that way.

It appears to me it is normal for most of the world.

Normal being the other 85% of the world population Vs the 15% of the population living in the west.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It appears to me it is normal for most of the world.

Normal being the other 85% of the world population Vs the 15% of the population living in the west.

Do not say that too loud.  With the migration of different beliefs and cultures it is becoming prevalent in the West too.

About 10 years ago a Muslim man and his wife were charged with the murder of his sister, and both his daughters.  He was living in Montreal and got upset because his daughter fell in love with a Muslim that was not arranged.  The youhgest was guiltiy of having friends that were not muslim and acting like them in the way she dressed.  The aunt only agreed with the gfirls and supported them.  

Dad drove to kingston and then drove teh car into the Kingstonmills canal tried to say tht the girls were out for a late night drive and must have driveninto the canal.

While in Pakistan a lady spurned the advances of a man and he got on a bus and threw acid in her face.

I am sure the Brits have horror stories as well and people in the U.S.