DIY French Drain or Channel drain

bbko

Thanks to this year's rainy season part of my garden has been perpetually soggy for almost 2 months and I want to install a 20 meter drain along the garden wall, either a French drain or concrete channel but I'm having a problem,  I can't find the French drain perforated tubing and the landscaping fabric to go along with it here in the Pattaya area,  or any pre-fabricated concrete channel drains.  DO Home has grate covers but I still need the concrete box, 

The thought has crossed my mind to just buy some big blue PVC tubing and put some holes or slits in it with my drill or angle grinder, lay down some rocks and hope for the best or bite the bullet and pay a team 4xs the amount it would cost me to do this DYI project.

Anyone here have experience installing a French or channel drains?

• Like 1

You won’t find premade french drain pipe, the best you will find, probably to order, are the slotted well footing sections but they are slotted all round. The “landscape” fabric is in all the stores as shade cloth, you decided the percentage you want. So you were asking for the wrong name

the normal way is to slot the top half of pvc pipe yourself with an angle grinder

• Like 1

Vowen geotextile on Lazada. There are also thin carpets sold on Thaiwatsadu etc that will work. I used that for leach fields. Helped a friend make open drains around his house some years ago. He found some square concrete half pipes that were 150mm if I remember correctly. I think they were meant to be put together to make form for concrete post, but were perfect for this. There is also thin walled concrete round pipes that can be cut lengthwise with a diamond disc on angle grinder. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pogust said:

Vowen geotextile on Lazada. There are also thin carpets sold on Thaiwatsadu etc that will work. I used that for leach fields. Helped a friend make open drains around his house some years ago. He found some square concrete half pipes that were 150mm if I remember correctly. I think they were meant to be put together to make form for concrete post, but were perfect for this. There is also thin walled concrete round pipes that can be cut lengthwise with a diamond disc on angle grinder. 

Thanks for the info,  I'll take a look at the cement shops in my area, those square concrete half pipes sound like that's exactly what I need. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bbko said:

Thanks for the info,  I'll take a look at the cement shops in my area, those square concrete half pipes sound like that's exactly what I need. 

Hello there. I was looking for something similar too. Is there anyone online who can help with this? Because as you know, pandemic conditions. I really appreciate your answers in advance.

7 minutes ago, buckleystephanie said:

Hello there. I was looking for something similar too. Is there anyone online who can help with this? Because as you know, pandemic conditions. I really appreciate your answers in advance.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting help online.  Lots of Youtubes vids on French and channel drains, I was going to do this myself, it's pretty simple but if I did need a construction crew to come in, I have a contractor that I use for non DIY jobs.  If you're in the Pattaya area and want his info, just let me know.

This Youtube channel has good info for installing drains around the garden;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnfwox4zLRPkewHSQBop_fA

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

Slotted black pipe for French drain and geo textile are sold all over Thailand.

Thanks for the info (and thanks to all), in the end I decided to go with concrete channel drains, less expensive, easier to clean, no worries of weeds or blocked tubes.  I found a shop near me that only does cement work so I'm going to order the cement from them and end up with something similar to the photo . 

Effluent Channels and Grids – Craven Concrete

• 2 years later...
On 11/8/2021 at 6:07 PM, bbko said:

Thanks for the info (and thanks to all), in the end I decided to go with concrete channel drains, less expensive, easier to clean, no worries of weeds or blocked tubes.  I found a shop near me that only does cement work so I'm going to order the cement from them and end up with something similar to the photo . 

Effluent Channels and Grids – Craven Concrete

Hello, I'm interested in around 20 meters of these. Does anyone know of the approx cost?