Thais Talking In The Cinema

Begbie

People chatting on their mobiles during a movie is annoying. I have in the past politely told someone that I havn't paid money to listen to them, and got the message across without too much of a problem.

Truth be known, I'd rather get the pirate dvd than go to the cinema. At least the MOC censors haven't been sticking their prissy scissors through it, aircon is not eskimo-compatible; volume is less than 200dB; and I don't have to put up with noisy brat kids, or dipsticks yakiing into cellphones - f#cking up my am-bee-ance. :o Misanthrope heaven.

If you listen closely, many of them are asking each other for explanations and translations. Go to a subtitled movie anywhere and you'll notice the murmurs and whispering increase.

does that extend to phone a friend :o

:bah:

I've seen this also, but like dttk0009 I was also a :D my friends and I used to collect moths and let them go in the cinema :bah:

:D

Chiang Mai seems ok, although some bint kept discreetly answering her silent phone last week. :D Spose it also depends on how lucky you are who you're sat next to. Some people are bound to statistically end up next to noisy people every time and if you expect it to happen, it probably will. Hat Yai and Kanchanaburi spring to mind for noisy cinema-goers. :D

Yes in Pattaya a lot. Talking on the phone and other. Once a guy had his little kid with him and he was translating pretty much every line to the kid as the movie was running. Maybe says something about the types that Pattaya attracts.

Also once in the film the lights kept coming on repeatedly. They were the dimmer lights that slowly brighten so the eyes can adjust without pain. Slowly slowly the whole cinema would brighten until we're all sitting their in full light, then after a few minutes someone would get up and go out and then the lights would go out. Repeat. It happened about 5 times.

I have noticed that Thais can be pretty content chatting on their mobiles throughout a film... tends to wind me up, but never bothers any other sod, so I just let it go.

Went to cinema in the UK at Christmas with some nieces and nephews to watch 'Happy Feet'. Never again will I venture into a cinema to watch a kid's movie - constant blathering, crying, jumping up and down, shouting, screaming.... and that was just the parents.

After that experience, for which I had to re mortgage my house for in order to buy the tickets + popcorn, I vowed never to moan at the odd inconsiderate Thai mobile phone user.

Humbug.

it is really annoy..but c'mon. even this is a topic??? lol

thats mean that there is alot ofo grumpy people in this forum..

"kids jumping on a kids movie" SURE! they are kids..

yest I went to watch sherk 3.. and there were kids, they were jumping..

a FALANG guy didnt stop talking to his GF on the back..

but <deleted>? If i go to a cinema is to relax a bit, not to get more nervious with the ppl..

let it be.. RELAX..

Folks it is about language....

Adressing the topic of Thais butting in the middle of a conversation.... They do that because they do not speak English and they dismiss your conversation being held as a conversation... they just think it is gibberish. This is not a Thai bash, essentially all cultures (with different langauages) do this.

By I will say, when my father law is in the back seat, I can not speak more than 3 words with my wife before he starts up...... I just stick my headphones on, and pretend I am the fly a wall as falangs are percieved to be here.

I am sorry people,why is everybody again complaining too much?

I must confess that I too dicuss some things with my children or and my wife attending a movie.

Normally the soundtrack is so loud,I could not bother anyone talking or whatsoever.

And when we do ,nobody seems to bother either,this is Thailand we do it the THaiway.....

Farang,as usual complain too much,and this the main reason I do like and love it in Thailand much much more,cause they do not care and everybody do their thing.

I can remember sitting in a Bangkok cinema,with my mom,and a farang with his farang wife came to me very disturbed telling me,not asking,to shut up.It got me by surprise,I am used to the thai,not complaining ,sometimes I have a hard time being a farang,don't you think,we do complain too much,why do we think that everything we discuss is better???Truly makes me very tired.You know that complaining in thai is impolite??Do not forget we do stay in Thailand....oke......

I am sorry I could not resist,but it really is sometimes too much,that's why.

I'll second that Begbie, although not every time.

Whispering is often translating. I have to explain somethings to my wife at times as the Thai translation can be vague. The same as when I see Thai movies and the translation doesn't fit the situation.

However, chatting on the phone is a bridge too far in my view. I have nudged a guy and said "I think you can call him back!". He took the hint. Thais can be jaw-droppingly rude and inconsiderate at times. It's to do with face and never being brought to book for your poor behaviour.

I must confess that I too dicuss some things with my children or and my wife attending a movie.

Normally the soundtrack is so loud,I could not bother anyone talking or whatsoever.

And when we do ,nobody seems to bother either,this is Thailand we do it the THaiway.....

Farang,as usual complain too much,and this the main reason I do like and love it in Thailand much much more,cause they do not care and everybody do their thing.

I can remember sitting in a Bangkok cinema,with my mom,and a farang with his farang wife came to me very disturbed telling me,not asking,to shut up.It got me by surprise,I am used to the thai,not complaining ,sometimes I have a hard time being a farang,don't you think,we do complain too much,why do we think that everything we discuss is better???Truly makes me very tired.You know that complaining in thai is impolite??Do not forget we do stay in Thailand....oke......

Ahh, finally.

Was waiting for one of you to stop by.

:o

I've seen plenty of English films in Europe with local subtitles and the locals invariably do talk but as an earlier reply stated it was usually to do with the transaltion. Mind you I do think the Thais do have trouble on concentrating on something for more than 5 minutes.

Mobile phones, pop corn, etc now thats a different matter. At least we've got rid of those annoying digital watches from the 80s beeping on the hour and half hour.

Edited by tso310

The only time I've run into people talking (on a mobile phone) and being noisy they weren't Thai. I told two ladies in front of me to please quit talking on their mobiles awhile ago and they looked back and told me ".....but it's important."!

But not important enough to walk out of the cinema. It was also important enough between them they were taking calls during the whole movie.

What was irritating about it was that I couldn't get a decent nap in the middle of the movie.

Ahh, finally.

Was waiting for one of you to stop by.

:o

what do u mean by one of u?

OK, it doesn't happen all the time in Bangers but it sure happens 98% of the time in Pattaya.

I once politely asked a girl to shut the f#*k up after she was talking loudly on her mobile phone (to the cheers and applause of most of the other patrons). She ignored me and kept on talking. I then went out to the usher and asked for my money back, which, of course they refused, so I left never to be returned. This was in the cinema at Royal Garden Plaza, Pattaya.

It's not a cultural thing, it's down right rudeness.

Let's see how far a farang would last if he went to a Thai movie and chatted on his mobile phone for 20 minutes or had a conversation with another Farang. It'd be one of those all too familiar 20 Thais beating up a Farang story.

OK, it doesn't happen all the time in Bangers but it sure happens 98% of the time in Pattaya.

I once politely asked a girl to shut the f#*k up after she was talking loudly on her mobile phone (to the cheers and applause of most of the other patrons). She ignored me and kept on talking. I then went out to the usher and asked for my money back, which, of course they refused, so I left never to be returned. This was in the cinema at Royal Garden Plaza, Pattaya.

It's not a cultural thing, it's down right rudeness.

Let's see how far a farang would last if he went to a Thai movie and chatted on his mobile phone for 20 minutes or had a conversation with another Farang. It'd be one of those all too familiar 20 Thais beating up a Farang story.

uh huh!

so how is it in Cambodia?

Every time.

Some rude, ignorant Thai is either chatting away on their mobile phone or just enjoying a conversation with a friend whilst in the cinema.

My Thai gf says it never happens in a Thai movie, but it sure happens all the time in English ones.

----------------------------

God forbid I ever said a word while my ex was watching one of her Thai movies.

She would get angry and tell me she was watching the movie, "shut up."

Or just ignore me... :D

nice gf.. :D

----------------------------

I always over look a lot when I'm with a drop dead gorgeous nympho :o

How's your "right." :D

oops, I completely lost it in the cinema once. The auditorium was huge, there were three people in the cinema and this woman sits right behind me and her phone goes. cue long conversation, which I interrupted and asked if she could go outside.

She did. I moved away. She came back and then SHE phoned HER mate and had another long conversation. That's when I stormed up to her and asked if she was going to watch the <deleted> film or talk to her <deleted> friend.

She went outside. I moved far away. Could still hear her though.

I know it's not good to lose your temper in Thailand, but it was just tooooooo rude.