Letter from tax office in Thailand

A foreigner friend (ex-colleague) left Thailand few months ago to his country for some arrangements to transfer money from there,

he planning to transfer his funds to Thailand as praparing to come back in the near future, the bank at his country asked him to prove his icome or finance statement in the country he was living in (Thailand) for many years, as I understood that he needs a letter from the tax office, he said that he never registered or paid any taxes in Thailand, but his bank informed they need this letter as a requirement to allow him to transger funds to overseas,

Anyone done this before? how can a foreigner person help to issue this letter for him? 

bytheway, he's a father of a daughter 15 years old, his wife and dauther are living in isaan area,

is it possible that she can get this letter for him from the province office or must be issued from the main office in BKK?

please advise if anyone obtained this letter before to help issue this letter for him would greate to tell how to do and what the office require to get this letter for him, thanks,

15 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Transfer said funds to wise, then wise to thailand...

Bank in the UK is merely being difficult.

The question was about how to get a letter from tax office in Thailand, not about tranfering funds or whatsoever else, that's the point, any answer that not related to this point is not needed, thanks

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, waxpro said:

The question was about how to get a letter from tax office in Thailand, not about tranfering funds or whatsoever else, that's the point, any answer that not related to this point is not needed, thanks

Go to the tax office and request such.

I had a similar message from my bank in Australia. They want to be informed of your  payees full address when transferring funds overseas.  To require the address of people with whom you decide to spend your money is very Orwellian.

(I use Wise )

International payments require payee address

• We're updating our international payments to include additional payee details in line with industry guidelines.
  •  
  • What's the change?
  • When sending funds overseas, you will now need to include the payee address. For your saved payees and scheduled payments, please update the payee address by 7 February 2022. After this date, international payments without a payee address will not be processed.

• Like 1

Sorry OP, I know you are trying to get advice on how to get the tax letter, but I have to agree with those saying that sure seems like an unnecessary hassle when it would be easier for your friend to plan on just withdrawing cash (or a cashier's check) and then ask "what is the best way to get cash safely transferred to Thailand?"  Plus give the approx. amount and what country your friend is transferring it from.  Although that doesn't answer your question, I hope that those advising this general course of action are being helpful inasmuch as it would accomplish what your friend is trying to accomplish, albeit via a different (and simpler) method.

• Like 1

Highly unusual request by a bank to prove a negative, unlike a police certificate to show you have a criminal record tax office in Thailand dose not provide such letters, like providing a proof you don't have a sister, and as other posters already stated, transfer the funds to another bank or financial institutions that dose not require such letter...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 2

In  which country is the bank which is asking this?

''the bank at his country asked him to prove his icome or finance statement in the country he was living in (Thailand)'' - this could mean several things, salary pay slips showing benefits salary deductions employment contracts, or a letter from employers stating income benefits and deductions, tax witheld etc..., or tax submissions stating income and taxes paid.

Looks like the bank want to be sure your friend is tax resident in Thailand and they are probbaly asking for a copy of his tax residence certificates.

One needs to be tax resident and registered for paying taxes to RD in thailand to get letters out of the tax office or a Thailand tax resident certificate.

Edited by userabcd

Depending on your country, many banks now request information relating to your offshore tax status if they are aware of your non-residence in that home country.  Of course the immigration and tax arms of your government exchange information, so they assume that if you're out of the country for too long, you are on a personal mission to defraud your government of their pound of flesh in some devious manner.

In NZ for example, I had to sign a declaration stating that I was (or was not) a resident for tax purposes in any other country and if so, advise them of my registered tax number/s with supporting doc's from the relevant country. 

I strongly suspect this may be what your friend is experiencing. If he is a tax payer in Thailand then any official document with his tax number on it will probably suffice.  If he's not a tax-payer I would have thought him simply declaring himself as such would be sufficient for his home country bank.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Don't know country and OP will still not say.

I know of no bank wanting a letter from a countries tax office in UK.

Unless OP says what country no-one from the said country on forum can help.

Edited by Kwasaki

13 hours ago, waxpro said:

his wife and daughter are living in isaan area,

His wife best go to the province tax office and ask them for a letter.

She will need a copy of his passport and copy of stamped pages within also prove of address and marriage.

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

His wife best go to the province tax office and ask them for a letter.

She will need a copy of his passport and copy of stamped pages within also prove of address and marriage.

Why would the tax office give any letter to someone not registered with or declaring income or paying tax in Thailand?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Why would the tax office give any letter to someone not registered with or declaring income or paying tax in Thailand?

Because for some reason which is beyond me, OP's friend needs such letter.

4 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Exactly--the first proper answer on this thread.

The only way for the OP (or his friend) is to register for a Tax ID at your local Tax Office. This is relatively straight forward, but do a bit of research first on what your reasons are, for wanting one. Once you have that, send it to the overseas Bank and it should suffice.

A few years ago my home country bank wanted something similiar, and that's what I did..it was accepted without question.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Some times we become so focused on the trees that we miss the forest. ????

The bank doesn't want to transfer money to Thailand without some kind of letter.  Send the money instead to Wise.  Transfer that money to Thailand.  I guarantee that Wise will not ask for a similar letter.

Given the easy ability to sidestep this "requirement" any time spent thinking about how this "requirement" can be met is wasted time, in my opinion.  

• Like 1