Fully vaccinated Thais returning from low risk countries not required to undergo extended quarantine or have health insurance

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai-PBS-World-logo-34.png

Thai citizens returning home by air from 45 “low risk” countries and Hong Kong will not be required to spend extended time in quarantine or to have health insurance cover as of Monday, when Thailand reopens to foreign arrivals, said Ms. Rachada Dhnadirek, deputy spokesperson for Government House today (Saturday).

She said these Thais will be treated like other people arriving in Thailand from the 45 low risk countries and Hong Kong who, however, must have been fully inoculated with recognised vaccines at least 14 days before their arrival and have passed a RT-PCR test no more than 72 hours before boarding their flights. Foreign tourists, however, must have at least three million baht health insurance cover during their stay in Thailand.

Arriving Thai passengers from these countries and territory must have hotel booking, as an alternative quarantine location, for one night for a COVID-19 test upon arrival and, if they test negative, they can leave the hotel for any destination.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thais-arriving-from-45-low-risk-countries-and-hong-kong-to-be-treated-like-citizens-of-those-countries/

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Logo-top-.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Word play. Everyone will do at least 1 day of quarantine.

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thai citizens returning home by air from 45 “low risk” countries and Hong Kong will not be required to spend extended time in quarantine

But they will still have to book a SHA+ quarantine hotel, like foreigners for 1 night to get the PCR tests upon arrival. So it's the same for resident foreigners and Thais, except the former, (unless they have social security), have to buy insurance up to USD50k.

5 hours ago, Kadilo said:

So the Thai people will be tested pre boarding the same as a foreigner and require a negative PCR test, which was one of the concerns voiced by many. 

Yes, looks like the only difference is they do not need the insurance cover.

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes, looks like the only difference is they do not need the insurance cover.

And as the gentleman quite rightly posted above there is nothing wrong with that. Anyone returning to their home country would expect the same. 

So appears a lot of hot air and faux outrage as the main concern was the potential of an infected Thai sitting next to a tourist on a plane and the consequences that could occur because of it. 

No obvious preferential treatment or double standards I can see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Well they do believe Thais are different and no way could they be a carrier of the virus, so why even bother with testing them.

This country is full of disparity, dual pricing and rules for Foreigners that do not apply to Thais, much like the driving rules and regulations.

Because if they didn’t, the likes of you would be complaining about double standards and preferential treatment for people returning. 

Oh , you still are anyway, just on offtopic issues. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Here we go again.. and discrimination is the name of the game, it used to be be like this when i first arrived 35 years ago when i have arrived to this country and it's still the same... so in their logic, a Thai and a foreigner who comes to to Thailand from the same destination and under the same circumstances should be vied and treated differently.. Oh how lovely and how typical...

Listen, there will nothing change between the farang and the Thai.

The same happens to me when I like to fly back, March 2020, from Hong Kong to Bangkok, on the same plane the Thai where allowed, and I was not, and until today I don't get my money back from the Thai

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Here we go again.. and discrimination is the name of the game, it used to be be like this when i first arrived 35 years ago when i have arrived to this country and it's still the same... so in their logic, a Thai and a foreigner who comes to to Thailand from the same destination and under the same circumstances should be vied and treated differently.. Oh how lovely and how typical...

No. The view is that Thai citizens in Thailand have more rights than non citizens. Same all over the world

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Well it is their country and it is not that much of a difference.......

• Like 1

It's ok, not to worry. wait until tomorrow and it will be something different. 

Many countries with much higher vaccination rates and with better vaccines are experiencing record infection rates, wait until the same starts happening here.

The responce to covid in Thailand has been amature night at the bijou 

8 hours ago, Kadilo said:

So the Thai people will be tested pre boarding the same as a foreigner and require a negative PCR test, which was one of the concerns voiced by many. 

Sounds like it. Good news.

Just to be sure, I will avoid Thai Airways and then I can be sure that all passengers will face the same checks upon boarding irrespective of nationality. 

Actually, that's one of about 10 reasons I will avoid Thai Airways. Nepotism, corruption, pricing etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kadilo said:

And as the gentleman quite rightly posted above there is nothing wrong with that. Anyone returning to their home country would expect the same. 

So appears a lot of hot air and faux outrage as the main concern was the potential of an infected Thai sitting next to a tourist on a plane and the consequences that could occur because of it. 

No obvious preferential treatment or double standards I can see. 

I appreciate the fact that you consider me as a gentleman ❤️  : ) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Partly true but many licensed operations are also unable to satisfy the requirements simply because they are too small. They can't answer all the required questions and provide the required photographs (some of which are ridiculous) simply because they don't offer certain facilities.

However, the fact that arrivals now only have to spend one night in a SHA+ hotel makes this protest at this stage unnecessary. Most small hotels can't offer the facilities to take care of the new arrivals, such as providing food in the rooms and even providing enough space to eat in the room. Until the Government stance changes, this requirement remains unchanged.

Although Im back in the UK, my partner is still running our guesthouse and we are simply explaining to any guests to make sure they book their first night in an SHA+ hotel. Not had to send many emails yet!!!

3 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Call me pedantic but…….  What’s wrong with this quote from the news article?

(more misinformation to confuse people. )

“Foreign tourists, however, must have at least three million baht health insurance cover during their stay in Thailand.”

It's already out of date. The situation changes all the time a I am sure you are well aware.

21 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Call me pedantic but…….  What’s wrong with this quote from the news article?

(more misinformation to confuse people. )

“Foreign tourists, however, must have at least three million baht health insurance cover during their stay in Thailand.”

"three million baht" insurance cover?? Disgraceful, pure robbery. Does that also apply to someone over here for a two or three week holiday?

8 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If they had any sense, they would want to have insurance , they shouldn't need to be told to get it 

I agree, but the insurance rip offs must stop. If they charge a fair price for fair cover, and stop all the unnecessary legal jargon, make it so the average person can understand it, and stop this small print nonsense.

• Sad 1