Farang Obtaining Degree In Thailand

kankaroo

I gotta crazy question here. I went to college and got qualifications years ago but felt it wasn't for me and didn't continue to obtain a degree. Now it wasn't because I was thick its just that I wanted to do other things.

I have heard about foreigners obtaining degrees in Bangkok and it just hit me today "what if" ? Now I am not all that bothered but would like to have a degree as it opens certain doors, almost like a key. I am 27 y/o and could easily spend the next 3-4 years getting one in the UK where I now reside but just plain and simple don't want to (O.U is 5 years +!!). I do not want a career as intend to go into business for myself.

I know they are not held in very high esteem internationally speaking but I heard they are easy and quick to complete (also get a visa too :o )

Any info / advice etc on costs, duration and so on would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kankaroo.

check out the schools available, Tammasat, Chula, Bangkok University, Mahidol, ABAC, all have different types of programs for international students, with various tuition prices. I start semsester one in august @ buic (bangkok U) and tuition for semester was around 32000 b. Depends on the program, and what your plans are for the future, but in the mean time you get nice ed visa, get to hang out here and learn the language, etc etc.

check out the schools available, Tammasat, Chula, Bangkok University, Mahidol, ABAC, all have different types of programs for international students, with various tuition prices. I start semsester one in august @ buic (bangkok U) and tuition for semester was around 32000 b. Depends on the program, and what your plans are for the future, but in the mean time you get nice ed visa, get to hang out here and learn the language, etc etc.

My girlfriend's starting there in August as well, and I'm going into my 3rd year there. It's a very nice campus! What major are you taking?

I gotta crazy question here. I went to college and got qualifications years ago but felt it wasn't for me and didn't continue to obtain a degree. Now it wasn't because I was thick its just that I wanted to do other things.

I have heard about foreigners obtaining degrees in Bangkok and it just hit me today "what if" ? Now I am not all that bothered but would like to have a degree as it opens certain doors, almost like a key. I am 27 y/o and could easily spend the next 3-4 years getting one in the UK where I now reside but just plain and simple don't want to (O.U is 5 years +!!). I do not want a career as intend to go into business for myself.

I know they are not held in very high esteem internationally speaking but I heard they are easy and quick to complete (also get a visa too :o )

Any info / advice etc on costs, duration and so on would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kankaroo.

Kankaroo, if you pick to go with Thammasart U. You would be very welcome there since I'm a TU alumni.

I'll be glad to answer anything you need to know.

First I would like to say Thai degrees are equal and equivalent to and American degree. In the sciences for example if you get a medical degree in Thailand you only need to take a medical board exam in the USA to get your license. Most Thai people that can't quite make the grade go to India for an education. CMU has many international programs (as do the other universities) and exchange students as well as full time students come from many different countries to study. So, getting an education here is a great idea I'm thinking about taking some classes myself. I also know what ever college you have had in the past the credits can be applied here toward your degree.

You can't say that Thai degrees are the same as American ones, that is just plain misinformation, and you know it! So please keep your misinformed opinions to yourself so others can get the facts! What's the title "Dr" for when you don't know anything!

Accredited degree programs are available but you must check and verify this yourself. For example, a degree from Mahidol University is more likely to be recognised in the states than one from Siam University.

Also, your previous credits may, or equally may not be transferable, as this depends mostly on the policy of the host institution or the Min of Ed. ........and you would need to provide proof in the form of transcripts, which in the UK will be next to impossible to acquire.

Once you have decided where and what to study, enrol and pay, and good luck.

First I would like to say Thai degrees are equal and equivalent to and American degree.

:D:o Sorry, I assume that this is some form of irony? I'm not from the US, but I would imagine that a degree from a recognised University in the US,UK,AUS etc would certainly hold more value.

Though I can not comment on the quality of the education provided in Thai universities many Thai employers and multinational companies do not put much value on the degrees. It is common knowledge that some Thai degrees can be bought (remember scandal of Thai politicians having degrees from universities they never attended), not to mention rampant plagiarism and exam cheating. My wife and I are friends with a married couple who are degree holders from a Thai university. They had to go do their degrees again in Sweden because they could not get decent jobs holding a Thai degree in Thailand. It is really a shame because they actually obtained their degrees through hard work. Unfortunately the Swedish program was too difficult for them and they returned after 2 semesters even more in debt.

My girlfriend's starting there in August as well, and I'm going into my 3rd year there. It's a very nice campus! What major are you taking?

Yeah so far the campus seems very nice, although the fitness centre could be nicer.. i am taking Communication Arts. What are you in?

I just had a friend who worked six years to complete his bachelor degree in Bangkok while working nearly full time. A month after graduation he moved with his partner to Australia to enter an M.B.A. program. No luck. The Australian university is requiring him to start at zero, and do his bachelor's degree again. Not a single credit transferred from Thailand. Sad.

The poster who told us that Thai degrees are equivalent to USA degrees is sadly dispensing serious misinformation.

The main problem with getting a degree in Thailand is if you want to find a job in the West after you graduate. I have a friend that went home with his MBA from arguably the top program here and couldn't find a job back home. Its not the problem of the quality of the top schools like TU, CU and AIT, but the quality perception of education from Thailand by US employers.

Another problem is if you want to work here in Thailand after you graduate. Foreign graduates of Thai universities are treated the same as Thai graduates of Thai universities. You only get Western pay if you have a Western education.

If you want to get a degree in Thailand and then get a post-grad degree in the US, you should go to TU or Chula. I talked with a professor here from Thailand who got a Bachelor from Chula and then a Master's and Ph.D. from the US. She said that only TU and Chula are considered on the same level as US universities by US admissions committees but BU and ABAC are gaining respect from them.

In conclusion, I would say if you are going to study here to attend Chula, TU, BU or ABAC. Mahidol may be a good option too, but I do not know too much about their international program and it was not mentioned in my talk with the Thai professor.

yr friend is sad. i m new in los and know scholls here not up to par with west.

dont people interact with thai educated people. not very impressive.

my condolences to yr pal. 6 years working for very little. he fit in right with the avg thai.

it is not perception by west that thai schulls suck in comparison. it is reality. you guys just dont want to believe.

i love thailand but it is a second world country. better than vietnam.

Edited by blizzard

If you want to study while you are in Thailand for a degree that has currency in the international job market then I'd recommend you take a course with a reputable Western Distance Learning University - The UK's Open University is perhaps the best first choice.

(edit) Apart from the fist rate reputation the Open University offers superb learning materials and is not by any means expensive.

Having studied in Thai university and tutored Thai students on Msc Programs in a Thai university my observation is that a very bright and dedicated student can get a good university education in Thailand but he/she is fighting the system to do so.

The perception that Thai universities are rife with plagiarism is absolutely correct and this alone devalues a Thai degree.

Edited by GuestHouse

If you want to study while you are in Thailand for a degree that has currency in the international job market then I'd recommend you take a course with a reputable Western Distance Learning University - The UK's Open University is perhaps the best first choice.

(edit) Apart from the fist rate reputation the Open University offers superb learning materials and is not by any means expensive.

Having studied in Thai university and tutored Thai students on Msc Programs in a Thai university my observation is that a very bright and dedicated student can get a good university education in Thailand but he/she is fighting the system to do so.

The perception that Thai universities are rife with plagiarism is absolutely correct and this alone devalues a Thai degree.

As usual GuestHouse bringing the knowledge :D I pretty much thought that was the deal with the education system in Thailand. I am really not sure what to do. I am 27 y/o and really want to get into business for myself at some point but it is difficult getting decent paid work without a degree, in order to build my empire :D

Hmmm. I was seriously thinking about signing up for the O.U earlier this year for a International Studies degree program, but 5 years !!!!

:o

I'm at Buic, and well.. there are some great teachers, but some few that are there just to warm a sit.. lol.. but in general is okay, and in the office the stuff r quiet nice ppl.

:o

I think if you attend Chula or T.U then your degree will be recognized in the west as these unis have quite a large number of students doing masters degree abroad. However if you do you B.A in some uni where anyone can enroll then obviously its not going to be the same level as the top unis. The reason why most farangs think all thai unis are bad is because 90% of the farang teachers would never be able to get a job teaching in the top unis anyway. over 90% of the teachers at T.U and Chula have a Phd from a U.S or U.K uni. Its not fair to mark these unis as the same as the ones which employ farang english teachers who have just completeted their 2 day internet T.E.F.L.

I dont believe that. Theres no need to degrade thai education. I think it depends on the study. For example medicine at the top thai universities like chulalongkorn and mahidon are just as good as the european/american universities. These guys have to take exams and are eventually handpicked by professors who studied from american universities themselfs (haha irony!). Not only that they even hire foreign teachers to ensure the quality of the education. Now compare that with my country. They have this numerus fixus. That means they literally pick straws and decide who would gain entrance and who wouldnt. So some guy who barely got his high school diploma with the biggest possible difficulty would get allowed and someone else who just missed direct admission by 0.1 point wouldnt.

Another example. Theres a kid here on the university in my year and he went to a private school. His dad is really rich. Basicly the intructors told him exactly what to answer on exams. They made the school exams piss easy to create a buffer so that even if he fails the central national exams he would still get his high school diploma. He basicly bought his diploma. This kid failed every course this year. Hes wasting governments money, he is wasting everyone else time and he doesnt have nowhere near the potential of the other students. Yet he is allowed to do any study he want at any university in the country. This would NOT happen in thailand because students are handpicked there on the major universities.

Universities like chulalongkorn are rated among the best in asia and are highly rated internationally. And they won numerous awards (if i may believe them). Also if you wanna compare degrees from universities you could also look at what subjects you are given. I checked the subjects and compared them with mine. There are a few differences but the core is basicly the same. So even if the teachers suck it wouldnt make a big difference in the end. You got your degree and you learned just as much as you would on an american/european study. Your employer could even check that. Now ofcourse this depends on what you study

Also you can fake a degree from Harvard just as easily as from a thai university. When an employer is in doubt he would check with the university anyway.

All very interesting... :o

But what about some information for the OP about University fees and different courses???

What Short courses, Intensive Thai Courses, Asian Studies, History, Literature courses etc etc are out there and at what Universities...??? :D

Can you build credits like in the USA or now Uk, and take a number of courses to make up a degree??? :D

How long do they take? Cost?

RAZZ BA (Hons) MA :D

Theres a kid here on the university in my year and he went to a private school. His dad is really rich. Basicly the intructors told him exactly what to answer on exams.

Well while I don't doubt this might well be the case in your country, it absolutely is the case in Thailand. AT EVERY LEVEL OF THE EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM.

The two or three top universities in Thailand have 'reasonable' reputations in a small number of their departments, but to put them on a par with the best universities in the world is being extremely generous.

Some do indeed have ‘a few awards’, but its hardly the lists of Nobel Prizes or this measure of a university's standing

Let us Judge a University by it's Alumni/Alumnae

Nah, I'm not having it.

The top Thai universties are not bad, but not world class.

Edited by GuestHouse

Okay, I haven't checked, but I don't think a Thai medical degree works in the USA, if you can just pass the medical boards, as I know this is not true, for a fact, for many doctors who went to school in other countries that should have a better reputation that Thailand does. However, I haven't done the research, this is just my feeling.

But, for example, I did go to law school in America. I have met many Thai lawyers now in Thailand. Some of them went to law school also in America and work for the top firms in BKK, but some of them got a MA in law in the USA. That is not the same thing. In fact, I had never heard of getting an MA in law in America, probably because only foreign students do it because as an American this degree wouldn't get you very far.

But, I think the question to ask yourself, if you think all Thai degrees are equal to American degrees, is why does the Thai government support people to get advanced degrees in our country (or an equivalent European county), if they don't think they are worth more? I mean, the Thai government pays for a lot of this education in many cases. Why would they be so willing to do this, if the education in Thailand was at least equal, and with much less expensive tuition, cost of living to stay in Thailand?

Also, I think an American education can give some added benefits, mostly maybe picked up from the general culture. And this is being able to think for yourself. Why is it when I go to get my hair colored from Thai shops, I am asked to pick the colors I want, and they want me to tell them exactly what to do and how to do it??? I didn't go to hair school. I don't know what colors will mix with my natural color and make what I want. I expect them to know.

I have gone to lawyers here who don't have a clue how to protect me, don't even really think that is their job, but want to offer a "balance" for the people I am trying to protect myself against, but don't take into consideration how if my potential "Thai foe" happens to be a jerk and tries to screw me over, this nice "balance" contract won't protect me. They don't seem to realize, or care, that writing a contract that goes against the laws of Thailand won't do me any good either.

I have understood from reading about Thailand, that many Thai workers cannot think for themselves, are not rewarded for thinking for themselves, and that asking a superior what to do, is maybe giving that person a certain amount of respect or face. However, in my country, asking what to do, every time you have something to do, is considered stupid and ridiculous, and the ability to work on your own and handle situations you may not have a lot of experience with is rewarded, at least when you make good choices. The people who don't make good choices never go far or are demoted.

I don't want to visit doctors who ignore the blotch on my leg as being skin cancer, because they are afraid to insult me and will only tell me if I ask them the direct question about the blotch on my leg. I don't want to go to veterinarians who will agree with me that feeding my dog/cat only rice is a good diet. But Thai people will do this for fear that they offend me. I am much more offended when my pet dies 10 years early due to a bad diet, and American vets would never tell you such crap because they are more concerned with telling you the truth, no matter how that makes you feel, then telling you bullshit, that will kill your pet, but make you feel that you were a good person, none the less.

I think some Thai people, no matter where they went to school, cannot conform to western ways, and may, or may not be successful, depending on who they work for. As well, as some of the best western people, in whatever profession, cannot adapt to Asian culture, and will not be successful no matter how smart, and how educated they are.

Universities like chulalongkorn are rated among the best in asia and are highly rated internationally. And they won numerous awards (if i may believe them).

I would not make this statement if I would not have sufficient arguments.

I know many students of this university who think that a postgraduate course, e.g. Australia, would give to them a proper recognition of their skills..in Thailand!. IT is my industry.

I do not believe that universitites can be rated so simplistically. The only demonstration of an international recognition is that its graduates can work at the same level and salaries than professionals around the world, specially in developed countries. If the degree is good in Laos and Cambodia it means nothing. If you can work in USA, UK and Australia then I would accept it.

In UK for instance, NARIC is the national agency of the educational department providing comparative assessment of international qualifications. Are the Thai degrees from Chulanongkon University recognized by this organization and rated equivalent?. If it is so, it is a good start......but I seriously doubt it.

For what I have seen, Thai educational system is still third world class. I have never seen Thai professionals with degrees obtained in Thailand, working abroad.

There are reciprocal arrangements in place regards the acceptance of degrees earned in Thailand and "used"in the USA - but as usual, it ain't straightforward.

The basic doctors degree is recognised at a federal level, but registration to work as a doctor is done on a state by state basis - each state has it's own requirements (in practise there is ittle diff state to state).

The usual way Thai doctors get into the US system is as post-grad students i.e. they go to the USA with their basic Thai med degree to get post grad qualifications/experiance i.e. despite been doctors they go as "students" using their Thai degrees as credits towards the post grad degree they are working towards (e.g. orthopedics, pediatrics, neuro-surgery, ect ect ...) - they enter the system as "post grad students" and not as board registered doctors. Their status is much the same as USA med students towards the end of their training working in hospitals under the supervison of tutors and senior doctors. They then pass out the system with their specialist qualifications (with a USA earned degree) - at which point they are able to exxercise the same practise priviledges as their USA peers.

Thats the basic gist of it.

MF

You can read it all about it on their websites. Heres another link

http://www.paked.net/higher_education/rank...es_rankings.htm

Chulalongkorn are rated among the 200 best universities of the world at #161 (last year #121). I'm not making this up. I could quote a few from their websites if you want.

And we are talking about serious degrees not just some stuff where they just hire some foreigners without education to teach and who dont even give a crap. Wich is probally what you guys think about.

Also they encourage students to study abroad even here in my country. Even if most our universities belong to the top50 of europe. Thats part of your development. But I agree thai universities cant compete with the top of the world like harvard or MIT simply because they dont have the money for it. THey dont have money to build high tech advanced institutes, facilities or hire expensive professors to attract potential top students for in long term. Thats true. But this doesnt make a difference unless you really aiming for research. For a master degree and especially ph.d its probally better to do it in America but again it depends wich university.

do not believe that universitites can be rated so simplistically. The only demonstration of an international recognition is that its graduates can work at the same level and salaries than professionals around the world, specially in developed countries. If the degree is good in Laos and Cambodia it means nothing. If you can work in USA, UK and Australia then I would accept it.

No thats not always right because theres also discrimination. Thai simply wouldnt get a chance to prove themself because of their education. That doesnt mean they arent better or less educated then westerners. They just wouldnt get a chance because the employer might think such a degree isnt worth anything anyway.

And like I said most of you teach english on high schools or first year students up country. So how would you know if never seen their labs, attended lectures, made their exams, compared the subjects, the textbooks etc. They probally use the same textbooks like on harvard. Teaching english is a whole different thing. You cant compare those experiences with the experiences on top thai universities.

I think if you attend Chula or T.U then your degree will be recognized in the west as these unis have quite a large number of students doing masters degree abroad. However if you do you B.A in some uni where anyone can enroll then obviously its not going to be the same level as the top unis. The reason why most farangs think all thai unis are bad is because 90% of the farang teachers would never be able to get a job teaching in the top unis anyway. over 90% of the teachers at T.U and Chula have a Phd from a U.S or U.K uni. Its not fair to mark these unis as the same as the ones which employ farang english teachers who have just completeted their 2 day internet T.E.F.L.

:o:D

It's amazing that after reading through all of the previous posts, not one person has mentioned that a university degree is nothing more than a certificate. It is not a declaration or guarantee that the bearer of such degree will be successful or is qualified to perform duties in the workplace.

Companies generally hire with the presumption that the new graduates have the basic competencies to do a job and have demonstrated that they are responsible enough to hold the job. These ideals favor the one with the university degree versus one without. However, there is still no guarantee that the "educated" person will be successful. This is a risk that the company takes when hiring recent graduates.

Sure, some universities are better than others. The good universities tend to offer better laboratories for research, opportunities for students to do internships, and possibly have a higher standard for their curricula. But not every person should be judged on where they attended school. A student with a C-average from a prestigious university (say Harvard, Standford, Princeton, etc) may not turn out to be as bright as someone who graduates with honors from a lesser known university.

Therefore I think it is safe to assume that there are some exceptionally bright people in Thailand, which due to circumstances beyond their control, were relegated to remain in Thailand to do their studies. This does not make them lesser of a person. If a company decides to discriminate against persons holding Thai university degrees, then perhaps the company is not worthy of consideration.

Btw, concerning myself, I have a BS in Engineering from a so-so university in the US. Yet during the past 17 years I have managed to acquire good work opportunities in several top-100 companies including perhaps the world's best known government agency (NASA) and I have come across an entire spectrum of people from different backgrounds and qualifications. Never once did I question or consider where one acquired their university degree. All that mattered was whether they could do the job. And the same always applied to me as well.

.... After taking a short pause to tend to other (more important) matters, I wonder why I even bothered to write my opinion to this topic. Half the the postings in this topic contained misspelled words, poor grammar, and yet we are here to provide our opinions about the quality of the Thai educational system. I for one vote for Chula. They have a good school of education.