Morphine for Medical Use

Yorkshire Lad2

Hi, just spent a month in KK Hospital for Chronic Leg Ulcer. I was looking to see if anyone knows of any pharmacy that will sell Morphine Tablets/Capsules. I was getting this in Hospital, but they will not prescribe for external use. I am not looking for recreational use, but to alleviate the ongoing pain.

Maybe you mean something like codeine/tramadol rather than morphine.

The hospital likely did not further prescribe as they can become very addictive, so an alternative painkiller is needed such as an NSAID. The strongest ones are Ponstan or Naproxyn, or you could use Ibruprofen with paracetamol, but really you should seek medical advice if you are hurting that much.  

• Like 1

Morphine and all other opiates are strictly controlled drugs in Thailand and available only at hospitals.

Over the counter, what you can get for pain are NSAIDs and tramadol. The latter with and without paracetemol.

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Lad2 said:

Thanks, but I have just come out of hospital & they wouldn't prescribe. If I had stayed in they would. I currently still see my doctor twice a week.

Go to another hospital. There is a way of prescribing opiates for outpatients. Small amounts and frequent visits. There are other pain killers as effective as morphine. Perhaps the hospital doctors don't judge your level of pain to require morphine. You are cured and recovered aren't you?

I'd be very surprised if any doc give a script for morphine to any outpatient, unless dying of cancer.

It's simply too addictive.  More than enough options out there to manage pain.  This discussion is silly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'd be very surprised if any doc give a script for morphine to any outpatient, unless dying of cancer.

It's simply too addictive.  More than enough options out there to manage pain.  This discussion is silly.

I don't think OP was really asking for morphine, but rather one of the synthetic opiates frequently prescribed for severe pain.

Edited by mommysboy

18 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Go to another hospital. There is a way of prescribing opiates for outpatients. Small amounts and frequent visits. There are other pain killers as effective as morphine. Perhaps the hospital doctors don't judge your level of pain to require morphine. You are cured and recovered aren't you?

He is apparently not fully recovered (leg ulcers take a long time to heal).

However his pain definitely should not be at a level that needs an opiate and if it does, something is wrong.  Nobody is going to prescribe an opiate for a healing leg ulcer at home.

OP should first try simple pain killers like paracetemol or (if no contraindication) NSAID, maybe a single dose of tramadol at night only (as pain is usually more troublesome at night). If these are not sufficient then he definitely needs to go back to the doctor, something is wrong.