5-year driving licence renewal Pattaya: Recent requirements

20 minutes ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

Or if involved in an accident, insurance will not pay out, and there might be other problems depending on the severity. So in my opinion not at all worth risking a potential disaster to get an extra year. My wife is lucky, she got one of the last lifetime licences before that option was terminated.

On the day after your license expires, why not have someone drive you to the motor vehicle center. Or get Grab to take you there and back.

7 minutes ago, placeholder said:

On the day after your license expires, why not have someone drive you to the motor vehicle center. Or get Grab to take you there and back.

That is of course a fairly safe way of doing it, especially during "normal" (sic) circumstances. But being risk averse and not knowing what will be of potential strict regulations 3-4 months up ahead due to a fourth or fifth covid breakout, I would like to get it done ASAP. After all, we are in a place that isn't going to defend our "rights" (sic again) very hard if pressed. But that's just me, YMMV...

1 hour ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

That is of course a fairly safe way of doing it, especially during "normal" (sic) circumstances. But being risk averse and not knowing what will be of potential strict regulations 3-4 months up ahead due to a fourth or fifth covid breakout, I would like to get it done ASAP. After all, we are in a place that isn't going to defend our "rights" (sic again) very hard if pressed. But that's just me, YMMV...

Makes sense.

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is no test on-line or in person for renewal of a driving license that is not expired more than 1 year

There is the on-line driving video, it has no test you are just required to watch it. Some offices may allow you to watch it in the office, however COVID19 precautions have stopped many offices offering this option.

See above for the point that it isn’t a test. 

The DLT now allow a passport number to register, this is new it wasn’t available 4 months ago when I renewed my licenses.

Do remember that TIT so the information for 1 DLT office is not true for all offices even though the requirements are on the DLT website.

Yes...in Pranburi I was told I would have to take some kind of test, which was not required in Cha-am. Nonthaburi (Tivanon) require the online training passed. That's why I chose Cha-am.

41 minutes ago, thaiowl said:

Yes...in Pranburi I was told I would have to take some kind of test, which was not required in Cha-am. Nonthaburi (Tivanon) require the online training passed. That's why I chose Cha-am.

They were almost certainly talking about the 4 checks that are supposed to be universal, but I wouldn’t call them tests in the same way as the theory and practical driving are.

55D67682-A227-4ECF-AE95-661BE35F0900.thumb.jpeg.44c8ad5fa9947a9d3fe48f001b19aa9a.jpeg

49 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

If you're having difficulty with the depth perception test, stand back and watch others do it and count how many seconds it takes for the sticks to line up.

When it's your turn, just count down and press the button. 

Edited by LarrySR

On 11/2/2021 at 2:55 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

U mean 5 years + 364 days. they always renew to ur birthdate.

Suggest you investigate further, I was told that the have a standard date for licenses this means that the age shown on the license may not line up with your actual birthdate. My license shows me as one year older than my actual age because of this.

4 hours ago, kennw said:

Suggest you investigate further, I was told that the have a standard date for licenses this means that the age shown on the license may not line up with your actual birthdate. My license shows me as one year older than my actual age because of this.

I don't know about a "standard date" for licensing, but it's common for many Asians to overstate by a year.  Like when you are born, you are in your first year of life.  It varies somewhat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_age_reckoning

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12343437/

• 6 months later...

houla ! Please can you confirm as it's hard for any Thai to be clear when they explain anything.

First time driving license, no driving test if you already have a US license ?

And written test cannot be done online the first time, can you confirm ?

I already have US car license, so I just need to transfer it in Thailand.

I do not have a motorbike license, so I need to do the written test and driving test at the land department ?

Also, they told me that the first Thai licenses are only valid 2 years, not 5, is it correct ?

And the test that you can usually be done online, must be done at a driving center the first time you get a Thai driving license, so can I go to any driving school at Pattaya to get the QR code that confirms the past test ?

And do you know what school in Pattaya will give me the QR code and where I can take the lessons needed to get my motorcycle license ? (is it 5 hours?)

Thank you for your help.