Question regarding ‘Under Consideration’ Period.

I am in Thailand on a Non-O, marriage visa.  I extend it annually, let’s say based on a 31 July expiry.  I go in to immigration several days/weeks before the expiry.  They accept the paperwork and give me an ‘under consideration’ stamp for 30 days.  I go back a month later, and get the ‘official’ extension stamp.  This has been no issue over the past few years.  My question is, what happens if I have to travel during this ‘under consideration’ time period, the month between my visa expiry and the ‘official’ restamp?   Can I Ieave the country in the intervening month and renter using the ‘under consideration’ date?  What if I cannot get back before the expiry of the ‘under consideration’ date?

What I understand about it is, that you will need a separate re-entry permit for the under consideration period. (But could be wrong)

We sometimes wanted to go away during the under consideration period but never did, but I think more importantly it's better to stay PUT because WHATIF immigration wants additional documents (happened to some friends of mine) during that period and you are away!!!!!!!

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, KCM3 said:

Can I Ieave the country in the intervening month and renter using the ‘under consideration’ date?  

What if I cannot get back before the expiry of the ‘under consideration’ date?

Yes, with a new re-entry permit.

You are screwed, start again.

• Haha 2

If you apply for a re-entry permit for the under consideration period and the remainder of your extension you can travel.

If you do not enter before the under consideration period you extension application is no longer valid and you would get a visa exempt entry if you are from a country that qualifies for one.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you apply for a re-entry permit for the under consideration period and the remainder of your extension you can travel.

Does the re-entry expire at the finish of the current extension or does it include the under consideration period

32 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Does the re-entry expire at the finish of the current extension or does it include the under consideration period

The re-entry permit will be valid for entry up to the report date back date and it will include the remainder of your current extension.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, KCM3 said:

My question is, what happens if I have to travel during this ‘under consideration’ time period, the month between my visa expiry and the ‘official’ restamp?

I might be wrong here but I believe that you can go to immigration and get a new 30 day consideration stamp before the date to get the 'official' extension. This was suggested to me when I was considering going to a funeral in my home country and the funeral and my pickup date was just a day separate. I decided not to travel so I didn't try if it worked.

If it works you get almost a month you can travel under this new consideration stamp.

18 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

I might be wrong here but I believe that you can go to immigration and get a new 30 day consideration stamp before the date to get the 'official' extension.

The under consideration period cannot be longer than 30 days and it cannot be changed to a later date.
The stamp allows you to stay in the country until your extension is approved.

If you had a need for emergency travel you local office could contact the division headquarters approving it to get it approved sooner.

• Like 2