prices of cigarettes' up again?

bubblegum

I smoke Camel "blue" and changed to this brand after the last tax increase a few years ago.  Price before the increase last month was 60B per pack and the price has remained the same when I bought 2 cartons last week.  I only buy at 7-11s here in Hua Hin.

• Thanks 1

Thankfully never a smoker, but happy the taxes on all those vices, that I avoid go up up & up.  Sorry, selfish of me, as hoping beer, wine & rum tax stay the same as a result.  Yea I know, silly me, as if that would ever happen.  

Don't mind them stealing my money, but could you actually use it to benefit people, instead of sticking it in your own pocket.

Silly price of smokes is enough to deter anyone from starting, so a good thing.  Amazing people still do with all the info about the dangers of.  Horrible habit, all around and sadly one of the most addicting products, by design out that.

Good luck getting rid of that monkey.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, bubblegum said:

They went up a week or so I know but now suddely my Mum n Pop shop added another 5 bath per pack

This usually happens when price increases but either the wholesaler or the shop is selling old stock which should be at the old price.

They guess the increase to profit from the old stock. Then when they get new stock, they find that they have guessed wrong and so they increase the price again.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, loong said:

This usually happens when price increases but either the wholesaler or the shop is selling old stock which should be at the old price.

They guess the increase to profit from the old stock. Then when they get new stock, they find that they have guessed wrong and so they increase the price again.

No, old stock will always be sold at the new prices in TH, except something gets cheaper..

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, loong said:

Yep, except in my case my local Mom n Pop shop guessed too high when beer went up about 3 years ago and they charged me 47 Baht for a small can of Chang of old stock before the details were announced. Turns out the price only went up about 2 or 3 Baht. That annoyed me so much I never went in there again so I go to the one 2 shops further up, and I used to spend about 1000 Baht a week in there so that attempt to screw me out of 10 Baht probably cost them about 160,000 Baht of revenue so far.

Win some, lose some. ????

33 minutes ago, loong said:

10 minutes ago, swissbie said:

No, old stock will always be sold at the new prices in TH, except something gets cheaper..

You have misunderstood. The price increase is not the same for all brands and the wholesaler/shop does not know what the new price will be until they actually purchase new stock. So they guess the increase and start charging the guessed new price until they know the new price for sure.

Hence the 2 price increases for the OP. They guessed a 5 Baht increase when selling the old stock, but when they purchased new stock, they found that they had guessed wrong and the increase should have been 10 Baht. So they increased the price again.

BTW my local shop didn't increase the price until their old stock ran out. It took about 2 weeks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, loong said:

You have misunderstood. The price increase is not the same for all brands and the wholesaler/shop does not know what the new price will be until they actually purchase new stock. So they guess the increase and start charging the guessed new price until they know the new price for sure.

Hence the 2 price increases for the OP. They guessed a 5 Baht increase when selling the old stock, but when they purchased new stock, they found that they had guessed wrong and the increase should have been 10 Baht. So they increased the price again.

BTW my local shop didn't increase the price until their old stock ran out. It took about 2 weeks.

Ok, got it. You got very lucky, as most shops usually sell old stock to new prices. Anyway, my local shop ran out of stock long before the new prices had been announced. I don't know the new prices yet, but the shop owners told me if the price increase is to steep, they will stop selling cigarettes as the Malaysian ones around here are much cheaper.

6 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

L&M Blue - my local mom and pop put it up 10 baht to 70 baht at the beginning of lsat month. Haven't purchase packets individually at 7-Eleven but a carton of 10 is still being charged 600 baht.

Thats cheap, real cheap for L&M.

Are they regular size or those small slim 7.1's ?

54 minutes ago, swissbie said:

Ok, got it. You got very lucky, as most shops usually sell old stock to new prices. Anyway, my local shop ran out of stock long before the new prices had been announced. I don't know the new prices yet, but the shop owners told me if the price increase is to steep, they will stop selling cigarettes as the Malaysian ones around here are much cheaper.

That's what I just did, Wonder Red 450-- per carton

20 hours ago, bubblegum said:

They went up a week or so I know but now suddely my Mum n Pop shop added another 5 bath per pack

Excellent !! The more the better. The £13.30 a pack here in the UK should be at least doubled - if not trebled -  in the next budget.

Horrible habit, growing up in a house knee deep in fag fume fog was the worst experience of my childhood. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Anti smokers seem to be very aggressive just like the anti *.* people

... yeah, well, nothing new mate and then it's the same lobotomists, squealing like stuck pigs once their poison of choice - booze - gets a bit uhh, shall we say 'restricted' ... havin' a formidable laff!

4 hours ago, lordblackader said:

L&M Blue - my local mom and pop put it up 10 baht to 70 baht at the beginning of lsat month. Haven't purchase packets individually at 7-Eleven but a carton of 10 is still being charged 600 baht.

Still cheaper for a whole carton  then Australia were it’s 750B for a single pack of 20

10 hours ago, xxeo said:

Playoff cigarettes are not available at 7-Eleven anymore.

Really?

10 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Everything is going up lately went to my swimming pool shop yesterday last week chlorine was 180 baht a kilo yesterday it was 200 baht a kilo ☹️☹️☹️

And now you must sell the pool to pay for the chlorine.

10 hours ago, JKfarang said:

I smoke Camel "blue" and changed to this brand after the last tax increase a few years ago.  Price before the increase last month was 60B per pack and the price has remained the same when I bought 2 cartons last week.  I only buy at 7-11s here in Hua Hin.

You should try Camel red. They are still very cheap.

4 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Why do you smoke blue cigarettes? Mine are always white on the outside and brown on the inside.

9 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yep, except in my case my local Mom n Pop shop guessed too high when beer went up about 3 years ago and they charged me 47 Baht for a small can of Chang of old stock before the details were announced. Turns out the price only went up about 2 or 3 Baht. That annoyed me so much I never went in there again so I go to the one 2 shops further up, and I used to spend about 1000 Baht a week in there so that attempt to screw me out of 10 Baht probably cost them about 160,000 Baht of revenue so far.

Win some, lose some. ????

I bought some booze at the M&P around the corner from me when I moved into my latest house. She told me the price and I happened to be exactly 50 satang short. In Thai I half jokingly asked for a discount. She looked at me like I asked her for a kidney. I walked to my truck and retrieved her 50 satang and handed it to her and said "Make it last". I would buy my booze at the Antarctic Outpost before I would go back to that grumpy wench. Sawatdeeznutz!

Can't be expensive enough. Doing the same as in Belgium: oohh we will make sigarettes more expensive: voila extra 20 cents! That will teach them. 

Make them 100€ a sigarette or so at least. Or just ban them all!!!

YEAH YEAH For all the naggers: you did not see my mother dies from cancer. Screaming loud having tremendous pains when beeing touched all over her body because have lung cancer and mestases! Even morphine didn't work. Over in 3 weeks.

So be happy have your next smoke.

• Confused 1