Insurance period and EXITING thailand

Hi all,

So not first time visiting thialand but my first time whilst covid measures are in place, in the past I never bothered with insurance (yes yes I know.. kinda dumb but luckily I've never needed it). 

Current entry requirements say I need insurance to cover the period of my stay and I am slightly confused when it comes to the end date of my policy.

For example if I was to land in Thailand on the 2nd of January I would receive a visa exempt stamp saying admitted 2 January until 31 January (30 days) which is the day I intend to leave.  So obviously the start date of the policy should be the 2nd the but what about end date? Should I put the end date as 31 jan or the 1st of Feb? Am I covered on the 31st or does it end midnight on the 30th? Insurance is with AXA Thailand if that helps. 

Also when returning I've checked and I'm not required to have a PCR test before flying to back to my home country and not required by the airport I will be transiting through either but what about Bangkok? Will I have to do a PCR test before they will let me get on my return flight at swampy? 

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help me.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need 30 days of the $50,000 insurance required for entry.

The 30 days includes the day you enter the country which means your admitted until date will be January 31st.

You will not require a covid 19 test to leave Thailand if the country you traveling to does not require it. But some airlines may require one.

So if i was to exit and re enter early next year and my Non O extension expired in October i would require insurance cover until October 

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 30 days includes the day you enter the country which means your admitted until date will be January 31st.

You will not require a covid 19 test to leave Thailand if the country you traveling to does not require it. But some airlines may require one.

Thanks for clearing this up much appreciated. 

Actually made sense to me once you laid it out like that.. the way I was thinking IE the policy ending at 12am on the 30th would only be 29 days so ofc a 30 day policy would cover me on the 31st..  ????

Edited by Sanookmike

"So not first time visiting thialand but my first time whilst covid measures are in place, in the past I never bothered with insurance (yes yes I know.. kinda dumb but luckily I've never needed it). "

Only if you don't have sufficient savings in the the bank to self insure. Some of us don't like throwing loads of money away every year in the knowledge that if we ever do make a claim, the company will find an excuse to refuse a full payout, or make any payment at all. That's assuming you can get anyone to insure you at all (old age, existing condition etc).

• Like 2

For people on one-year extensions, instead of paying for many months of insurance from the time that you return until your extension expires, why not leave without a re-entry permit.  When you return, enter with visa-exempt status and insurance for 30 days, then apply for a 90-day non-O visa followed by a one-year extension of stay.  It would entail a lot of paperwork and two visits to immigration but would save a lot of money on insurance.  My next renewal date is in May and I plan to travel to Japan for a month in June.  If I were to return with a re-entry permit in July, I would need eleven months of the $50,000 insurance.   It would be cheaper to return with a visa-exempt entry and start anew on a 90-day non-O Visa and then a one-year extension. I understand that, at my age of 78, the required insurance would cost me $250 to $300 per month.  The non-O and one-year extension would cost me 2,000 plus 1,900 plus incidental expenses or roughly one-tenth as much as the 11 months of insurance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jesimps said:

"So not first time visiting thialand but my first time whilst covid measures are in place, in the past I never bothered with insurance (yes yes I know.. kinda dumb but luckily I've never needed it). "

Only if you don't have sufficient savings in the the bank to self insure. Some of us don't like throwing loads of money away every year in the knowledge that if we ever do make a claim, the company will find an excuse to refuse a full payout, or make any payment at all. That's assuming you can get anyone to insure you at all (old age, existing condition etc).

Fair point but I'm a young man with hardly two pennies to rub together ????

On 11/5/2021 at 7:19 PM, ubonjoe said:

How about returning permanent residents - is there any guidance re insurance period required ?

1 hour ago, regedit said:

How about returning permanent residents - is there any guidance re insurance period required ?

Thirty days is required if you do not have other insurance or are have coverage from Social Security.