Australian to Thai electrical adapter

Lemsta69

Good afternoon gents

I'll be arriving in LOS on the 1st of December and will be bringing a few electronic items with me, namely an Intel NUC, a Samsung phone with super-fast charger, and a set of Wahl clippers. 

they have Aussie plugs, 3-pin for the PC and 2-pin for the other two. I also have a four-outlet Belkin surge board with a 3-pin plug that I'm thinking of bringing with me for convenience if I need to use more than one device at a time. 

last time I was over there was waaay back in 2014 and I think I was using one of those cheap triangular shaped adapters that I bought in some random computer store on 2nd Road, Pattaya. 

now that I'm older and wiser I don't think using those cheap and nasty adapters is recommended.

I googled "Australia to Thailand adapter plug" but really couldn't find what I was looking for. it's been so long i can't remember what a typical Thai electrical socket looks like.

I hope to be seeing a lot of the country when it all opens up so I'll be staying in hotels and condos not my own house.

so I'm throwing myself upon the mercy of the community ... can you please assist me to get the right setup in Thailand so that I can safely use my devices?

thanks in advance

ps. you're all legends ????

Bring the Belkin unit and replace the Aussie plug with a Thai one, then plug your appliances into the Belkin.

Your local computer outlet should be able to supply a lead for the NUC (but I'd still be plugging it into the Belkin for surge protection).

One of the cheapo adaptors would do the trick for the charger and clippers since they are low power.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Bring the Belkin unit and replace the Aussie plug with a Thai one, then plug your appliances into the Belkin.

Your local computer outlet should be able to supply a lead for the NUC (but I'd still be plugging it into the Belkin for surge protection).

One of the cheapo adaptors would do the trick for the charger and clippers since they are low power.

hi Crossy, thanks for the prompt response. I'd thought about replacing the Belkin's plug but they've got all these anti-tamper warnings so I got a bit nervous. I'm not doing that myself so any idea where I can take it in Pattaya to get it done properly? a random computer shop in one of the malls or a proper electrician?

The warnings are there to satisfy nanny-state regulators ???? 

The Belkin appliance warranty would likely be invalidated by changing the plug but probably wouldn't apply unless you bought the unit here anyway.

Any half-competent DIYer can swap the plug but if worried I'm sure you can find a handyman.

• Like 1

The warnings are there to satisfy nanny-state regulators ???? 

Any half-competent DIYer can swap the plug but if worried I'm sure you can find a handyman.

nanny-state LOL. haven't seen that in the forum for a few days. yeah, can't wait to escape the island prison and soak up the barely contained chaos.

thanks again for your assistance Crossy, it's greatly appreciated.

As @Crossy suggests, bring your Belkin power strip, and locally get EA-B travel adapter from Toshino. Costs 100 baht but it's actually grounded and can actually do 3500W that's printed on it..

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3-toshino-ea-b-3500w-i820448911-s1679920012.html

Found it from Lazada's search, no idea about this seller, just recommending this product.

Alternative is to get a power strip locally with universal sockets on it... Should look like this (the sockets, I mean):

image.thumb.png.25f17f538aa4f02e2381e96a3f274013.png

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

As @Crossy suggests, bring your Belkin power strip, and locally get EA-B travel adapter from Toshino. Costs 100 baht but it's actually grounded and can actually do 3500W that's printed on it..

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3-toshino-ea-b-3500w-i820448911-s1679920012.html

Found it from Lazada's search, no idea about this seller, just recommending this product.

Alternative is to get a power strip locally with universal sockets on it... Should look like this (the sockets, I mean):

image.thumb.png.25f17f538aa4f02e2381e96a3f274013.png

thanks for the additional info Tom, great work.

If you have any "thirsty" appliances I'd get a pukka Aussie traily (not universal outlets) and stick a Thai plug on it.

UK family brought over a UK traily (built-in 13A fuse), I fitted a Thai plug on it. Grand-daughter's hair styling kit no problem. It's here for next time they come, hopefully in April covid restrictions permitting.

1 minute ago, transam said:

If you buy a multi fit extension lead here, be sure it has a 3 pin plug on the end, many leads cater for 3 pin earthed plugs but have a 2 pin on the wall socket end...????

thanks for the advice transam, I did know that but when it comes to electrical safety it's worth repeating. my dad was actually a sparky when he was younger, before he became a cabbie in Sydney because they wouldn't give him a ticket because foreigner, but he only taught me the very basics. 

• Like 2

If you have any "thirsty" appliances I'd get a pukka Aussie traily (not universal outlets) and stick a Thai plug on it.

UK family brought over a UK traily (built-in 13A fuse), I fitted a Thai plug on it. Grand-daughter's hair styling kit no problem. It's here for next time they come, hopefully in April covid restrictions permitting.

nah I don't have a vibrator mate, just my mini pc, my phone and my clippers. the latter to keep myself beautiful for all the ladies ????

• Haha 1