Has anyone managed to complete a Wise Swift transfer to their Thai Bangkok bank account ?

As per the title, i would like to set up my Wise account to enable a Swift transfer as a backup if i don't get the needed FTT international transfer.

Can anyone share the correct procedure ? i find the info stated by Wise somewhat confusing.

Thanks in advance. 

13 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Wise do not process SWIFT transfers in THB. That service is only available for transferring GBP, USD or EUR.

but they are still swifts and can settle at a thai bank in baht, doesn't need to be Bangkok Bank.

I've not done it but sounds like it's a bank transfer to Wise borderless account, GBP etc, then swift it to thai bank account where you get bank exchange rate

Edited by scubascuba3

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Wise do not process SWIFT transfers in THB. That service is only available for transferring GBP, USD or EUR.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

but they are still swifts and can settle at a thai bank in baht, doesn't need to be Bangkok Bank.

I've not done it but sounds like it's a bank transfer to Wise borderless account, GBP etc, then swift it to thai bank account where you get bank exchange rate

Read the facts before you post.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2977936/sending-gbp-to-countries-outside-of-the-uk

32 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So you can't do a Wise Swift transfer to Thailand as Thailand is not on the listing ?

You got it. It just takes a bit of homework.

However, you didn't mention which currency you are talking about, something which often causes confusion when Wise transactions are under discussion.

Note the comment by @scubascuba3 above.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So you can't do a Wise Swift transfer to Thailand as Thailand is not on the listing ?

Maybe ask Wise why Thailand is not on the swift list for GBP, it is on the list for USD, so using a borderless account you could switch GBP to USD and swift to thai bank account to settle in baht.

It might work out cheaper just to swift from UK bank direct to thai bank assuming you have GBP

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe ask Wise why Thailand is not on the swift list for GBP, it is on the list for USD, so using a borderless account you could switch GBP to USD and swift to thai bank account to settle in baht.

It might work out cheaper just to swift from UK bank direct to thai bank assuming you have GBP

Prior to using Wise i always did a Swift transfer from my HSBC UK account to SCB bank here in Thailand but the cost became quite expensive with HSBC making a fixed charge of 4GBP together with an intermediary bank charging my HSBC account with 15/20GBP something like a month later. That and the poor exchange rate from SCB made Wise the way to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Prior to using Wise i always did a Swift transfer from my HSBC UK account to SCB bank here in Thailand but the cost became quite expensive with HSBC making a fixed charge of 4GBP together with an intermediary bank charging my HSBC account with 15/20GBP something like a month later. That and the poor exchange rate from SCB made Wise the way to go.

Forgot to mention the 200-500bht fee from SCB to convert GBP to baht to also be added to the cost.

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Sounds like the way to go is keep with Wise, ensure tagging is set up correctly, perhaps send a small test amount each month just before the bigger amount, if it ever comes through as local send a swift for that month only

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like the way to go is keep with Wise, ensure tagging is set up correctly, perhaps send a small test amount each month just before the bigger amount, if it ever comes through as local send a swift for that month only

Thanks, and that is exactly what i did for my Nov transfer and i will continue to do so.

• Like 1