Low Pressure System

phuketsub

Interesting weather...we seem to be at the middle of a moderate sized low pressure system now. Usually we would be getting battered by monsoon bands coming from the east this month, as we were last week. At least the spiral effect means that wind is not so bad and at times is even blowing offshore....I guess it's like being in the doldrums. I guess it is better than the normal bashing, though. 

image.png.ec40dfd94199856306c6ac952c867735.pngimage.png.7d0c8fa01f764370c2f9800d1f83306e.pngimage.png.507a720233371c2c46e4143304adb2ca.png      

TMD Forecast: The active low-pressure cell covers the middle South of Thailand. It is expected to move to cover Andaman Sea by tomorrow (14 November 2021) while the strong northeast monsoon prevails across the Gulf of Thailand. Very heavy rains are likely over Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat Ranong and Krabi with isolated heavy rains over Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Phangnga, Trang and Satun. People should beware of the severe condition that may cause flash floods and overflows. Residents along the Gulf beware of inshore surge.

The strong wind forces the waves 2-3 meters high in the Gulf, more than 3 meters high in thundershowers, and 1-2 meters high in the Andaman Sea. All ships should proceed with caution, and small boats keep ashore lasting 14 November 2021.

so if they are right, I guess this is just a lull...we shall see....

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

can be wrong 70% of the time

Actually weather forecasting has improved significantly in recent years. The increase in live data feeds, both terrestrial and satellite, plus the power of super computers make them far more reliable.

It sometimes blows me away at how few of the people here know how to read maps or take advantage of the weather radar. Even the guy who painted my house (at great expense) employed over 10 guys and had absolutely no clue whether it was going to rain or not. 

I offered to teach him and he just laughed it off. It's all about saving face, I guess. 

My daughter figured it out in an afternoon, but my wife still can't. 

Anyway, looks like the TMD got it correct that the LOW is moving west, but more slowly than expected. Anyway, looks like more rain today: stp240Loop.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

A lot cooler this morning up North, had to put a shirt on.

regards worgeordie

Same even down here. It makes me feel like a total pussy after surviving five winters in Montreal! oh well. 

• Haha 1