Thailand Plans to Open Borders to 400,000 Foreign Laborers Next Month

webfact

It is pretty clear now that economic factors dominate recent decisions as the safety of the people who live here is put in jeopardy.  I also wonder if they have the facilities and planning to test, vaccinate and quarantine these people.  So my guess, as others have stated is that the testing/vaccination/quarantine routine will phase out and migrants will walk into the country.  Already there is evidence in Chiang Mai that the migrant workers are bringing COVID into the markets, which then are causing the spread of the virus.  Oh my.

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

How many years have they mooted required travel insurance, you think it is going away?

Since the +500thb extra airport tax was announced "to cover unpaid hospital bills", 

It should be either-or.

If insurance is mandatory, that extra tax lost reasoning.

Yet to hear which one get scraped...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

Ahhh OK, I wonder how all this will work if they open land borders,going to be messy. 

It is still totally unclear how land border opening will work. And whether it will be limited to workers with L-A visa or open in general.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 11:13 AM, tingtong said:

Since the +500thb extra airport tax was announced "to cover unpaid hospital bills", 

It should be either-or.

If insurance is mandatory, that extra tax lost reasoning.

Yet to hear which one get scraped...

it was not anonunced as being to cover unpaid hospital bills. in past  that was suggested, but not mentioned for the 500 surcharge now being introduced. Rather it is for unspecified "improvements to tourism".

7 hours ago, johnhender said:

Yet they are worried about tourists,  will the labor have to use " ThaiPass " and go to the hotels for a night and use the the tracking App - there is no logic to the way Thailand operates 

While Thailand dithers, great news from neighboring Cambodia today (15 November 2021):-

"Cambodia has set the standard for other ASEAN member states to look into quarantine free travels across borders as it lifted quarantine restrictions for all fully vaccinated travelers arriving at its land, sea and air checkpoints from today."

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50971077/cambodia-throws-the-gauntlet-at-asean-as-it-obliterates-entry-restrictions/

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50971131/list-of-covid-19-vaccines-recognised-by-cambodia-for-quarantine-free-international-entry/

As from 1st November 2021, the ban on alcohol was lifted at restaurants and beer gardens. From the 30th November 2021 beer bars, nightclubs, karaoke and KTV lounges/bars will be allowed to open with no bans on alcohol. Public health requirements operating.

9 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Thais don't want independent travelers, especially westerners. The authorities want Asian group tours, following flags. Once the Chinese are allowed in again they wont have to even care.

you seriously think the chinese tour groups will be agreeing to a forced 4,000 baht each health insurance ? I can't see it. the insurance will be gone before the chinese come back

6 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

While Thailand dithers, great news from neighboring Cambodia today (15 November 2021):-

"Cambodia has set the standard for other ASEAN member states to look into quarantine free travels across borders as it lifted quarantine restrictions for all fully vaccinated travelers arriving at its land, sea and air checkpoints from today."

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50971077/cambodia-throws-the-gauntlet-at-asean-as-it-obliterates-entry-restrictions/

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50971131/list-of-covid-19-vaccines-recognised-by-cambodia-for-quarantine-free-international-entry/

As from 1st November 2021, the ban on alcohol was lifted at restaurants and beer gardens. From the 30th November 2021 beer bars, nightclubs, karaoke and KTV lounges/bars will be allowed to open with no bans on alcohol. Public health requirements operating.

Trying to get to Cambodia from Thailand at the moment is like mission impossible.anybody have any info on flights or land borders???

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Guess this is how they will meet their 300,000 arrivals each for november and december

Ridiculous that we have to have 2 vaccines, tests , quarantine , insurance, another test and another test and these people will just walk in - can't tell me this lot will have what we will have to get

not that ridiculous; western tourists can pay, migrant workers can't, so it make sense to fleece those who can afford it. ???? 

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

you seriously think the chinese tour groups will be agreeing to a forced 4,000 baht each health insurance ? I can't see it. the insurance will be gone before the chinese come back

The whole scheme will be scrapped by the first week of the new year. 

Watch.

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The dodgy insurance graft will be "included" in the total cost or waived for the flag following brigades.

5 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

anybody have any info on flights

Currently there are no direct flights to/from Cambodia and Thailand however last week a tourist acquaintance of mine flew with Singapore Airlines from Phnom Penh to Bangkok (BKK) via Singapore. Costly, but after 18 months of being "trapped" in Siem Reap, he is now back in Thailand enjoying the seaside in Pattaya. Photo taken on 11 November 2021 at Phnom Penh International Airport by acquaintance. I have no idea what Covid-19 documentation he had, first to enter Singapore and second Bangkok.

May be an image of 1 person and aeroplane

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, johnhender said:

Yet they are worried about tourists,  will the labor have to use " ThaiPass " and go to the hotels for a night and use the the tracking App - there is no logic to the way Thailand operates 

never had any logic why should they change just now ? They only fear something. Backward people stuck in 19th Century.

So all these migrants will be fully vaccinated, and have their health insurance, to enter Thailand?

I imagine that they will pay for a PCR on arrival to Thailand as well.  Yup, yup,  this plan

sure sounds like it was well thought out.  TIT.

Geezer

9 hours ago, visarunner said:

I used to know some natural crossings. 

12 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Currently there are no direct flights to/from Cambodia and Thailand however last week a tourist acquaintance of mine flew with Singapore Airlines from Phnom Penh to Bangkok (BKK) via Singapore. Costly, but after 18 months of being "trapped" in Siem Reap, he is now back in Thailand enjoying the seaside in Pattaya. Photo taken on 11 November 2021 at Phnom Penh International Airport by acquaintance. I have no idea what Covid-19 documentation he had, first to enter Singapore and second Bangkok.

May be an image of 1 person and aeroplane

Direct flights start this month on Cambodia Airways and Lanmei airlines, and on Bangkok Airways next month.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

So all these migrants will be fully vaccinated, and have their health insurance, to enter Thailand?

I imagine that they will pay for a PCR on arrival to Thailand as well.  Yup, yup,  this plan

sure sounds like it was well thought out.  TIT.

Geezer

I am sure they will be required to show proof of vaccination but that is no problem for Cambodians, >90% are already fully vaccinated.

Migrant workers are required to enrol in a medical scheme for migrants. Basically puts them under the "30 baht" system for an annual fee. This has been in place for some time now and works well in my experience.

Not clear what the requirements will be for COVID testing for migrants entering at land border.

17 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Trying to get to Cambodia from Thailand at the moment is like mission impossible.anybody have any info on flights or land borders???

You have to fly in.

Lanmei and Cambodia airways from this month; Bangkok Airways starts next month - I just booked a flight with them for mid-December.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You have to fly in.

Lanmei and Cambodia airways from this month; Bangkok Airways starts next month - I just booked a flight with them for mid-December.

OK thanks very much for the information. Appreciate it. 

38 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Apparently they are still requiring it...and it must be a specific policy from Forte Cambodia. You can't use your regular health insurance.

Hi Sheryl, This may be of interest in today's Cambodian Press;-

COVID health insurance no longer needed for travellers to Cambodia

Regarding Forte Cambodia, I found its Siem Reap Branch very unhelpful. When I enquired about Covid insurance I was told not available to over 65's. At 77 I was shown the front door!