Boosters in Thailand

samtam

Is there any known or announced plan for boosters in Thailand? Given the glacial rollout, it may be premature to be asking, but at some stage, (and I don't know what the time schedule is between 2nd dose and booster for AZ for example), those of us above 65 will soon need to get a booster. Given the recent announcement,

440131691_Screenshot(382).png.11f5c8db2571d5a56b3fd8f36db07881.png

I expect as a foreigner, we shall have to pay for them. This is fine, but any information about how to proceed, would be useful.

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

My question is if you had 2x shots this year how long will you be considered vaccinated for when it comes to travel?

Thailand doesn't have any rule regarding this (yet?), vaccinated is vaccinated, no matter how long ago.

Of course there is no plan. Currently only medics who were vaccinated with that useless Sinovac are getting a third, or should I say first real shot. There are of course many with special contacts who are jumping in and diverting supplies still needed for the general population but for expats it is going to be a lottery as to if or when a booster is available, and certainly it will be mid 2022.

19 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

My question is if you had 2x shots this year how long will you be considered vaccinated for when it comes to travel?

Just yesterday, read an article about the new Khao San Road rules for entry for both Thais and foreigners. 

One has to be double vaxxed to get in and there's a requirement for a swab test (with 100 baht fee) for those

who's double vaccination occurred more than 6 months ago.  Logically, given that all the vaccines lose

effectiveness over time, we'll likely see more stringent requirements based on how long ago one was vaxxed. 

It's the possible travel requirements that concern me (could care about getting onto Khao San Road).  

Edited by CMBob
Spelling
  • Like 2

Not true that only the privileged are getting boosters in Thailand.

My b/f went for his very first shot (Pfizer - free) in Buriram a few days ago. A cousin accompanied him and got his booster shot (Pfizer - also free) after 2 previous Sinovacs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, samtam said:

Is there any known or announced plan for boosters in Thailand? Given the glacial rollout, it may be premature to be asking,

It certainly is premature. 

The national rollout started 7th June and with the standard intervals of 12 weeks and 6 months it will be about March before you can expect this to start becoming widespread.

In the meantime boosters will be restricted to those that qualify for some reason or other.

The system is full of anomalies, after a 3rd jab I have become "vaccinated" today. Having one jab in Thailand and one in the UK wasn't seen as being vaccinated. Will be May before I can expect a booster.

I already posted a thread about this as to when/where/how to obtain a mrna Covid booster (preferably Pfizer / Moderna / Astra Zenica) as it is now absolutely necessary for my age group (70)  to get one and am looking at Jan/Feb even if paid for .   

I have not seen /heard anything about availability yet ?? 

38 minutes ago, Jen65 said:

I already posted a thread about this as to when/where/how to obtain a mrna Covid booster (preferably Pfizer / Moderna / Astra Zenica) as it is now absolutely necessary for my age group (70)  to get one and am looking at Jan/Feb even if paid for .   

I have not seen /heard anything about availability yet ?? 

Of the three vaccines you listed only the first two are mRNA vaccines, AstraZeneca is an adenovirus vector vaccine.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm just back from a trip across several countries.  Mainly Europe.  But one, can't remember which one, said the vaccine had to be within 6 months.  That's going to force a lot of us to get boosters.  Question is, same one, different one....ugh....

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/11/11/science/vaccine-waning-immunity.html

I am in the same boat , I have had 2 AZ , last one in June in the UK , so I am due a booster . Today I Googled the question and below is the answer to what boosters you can have . Seems like a mix and match is OK . However , where can you buy it in Thailand is another thing . Also important to get a certificate of the booster cos as far as the UK are concerned the booster will become part of the vaccine compliance cert that may enable you to fly . Probably true for the USA and other countries too .

Which COVID-19 vaccine will I get?

Most people will be offered a booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine or Moderna vaccine.

This means your booster dose may be different from the vaccines you had for your 1st and 2nd doses.

Some people may be offered a booster dose of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine if they cannot have the Pfizer/BioNTech or Moderna vaccine

• Like 2

About a month ago I received a call from the British consulate or whoever it was I registered with, asking if I had received my jab(s). Nice of them to check. I said I'd had Sinovac followed a month later with AZ in August and September, and then I asked about boosters early next year as I need to go to Dubai in February. She laughed and laughed.

I guess I'll be able to find a second AZ somewhere, at my local health centre or village hospital or, if necessary, in Kalasin which is my nearest large town. Just have to wait and see in a couple of months from now.

31 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I had 2x Pfizer, and I guess it's ok to stick with that.  But have heard of some with the AZ jab that a different vaccine might be better?

Who knows.  This info changes too often for me to keep up with! LOL

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1020599/PHE_12073_COVID-19_booster_leaflet.pdf

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, placnx said:

The question is - what the rules will be in other countries when we travel from Thailand.

Depends on which country you travel to, they all make their own rules, this is not really related to this topic or even forum section.

Due to the number of countries and the frequent changes it would be nearly impossible to keep one thread up to date with this information.

If you plan to travel to a specific other country and want to ask about the entry requirements you probably should open a thread here: https://aseannow.com/forum/25-visas-and-migration-to-other-countries/

14 hours ago, SunsetT said:

In the UK a booster is recommended and being offered after 6mths from the 2nd shot.

6months after second shot is usual recomendation

What You Should Know About COVID-19 Booster Shots, According to an Infectious Disease Expert

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/know-covid-19-booster-shots-181800662.html

COVID: 2 Pfizer doses and Moderna booster give more protection than 3 Pfizer jabs – Ong Ye Kung

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2-pfizer-doses-moderna-booster-more-protection-3-pfizer-jabs-ong-ye-kung-120125008.html

• Like 1

You may have noticed Thai Red Cross is offering free Moderna boosters to all those over 70 who had their second jab by June 22 (? I think).

Not specified Thais only & if that were the case, I think a letter of complaint to the ICRC & the patron of TRC would be in order.

Maybe the generals don't care but this would be a truly horrifying image to show the world that Thailand is open for business. I mean, we know the real answer: Do they care about foreigners or just their money?

Edited by unblocktheplanet
addition

Just by way of background -- The U.S. formally joins the COVID vaccine boosters train for all adults:

[U.S.] CDC Expands Eligibility for COVID-19 Booster Shots to All Adults

Media Statement

For Immediate Release: Friday, November 19, 2021

"Today, CDC Director Rochelle P. Walensky, M.D., M.P.H., endorsed the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ (ACIP) expanded recommendations for booster shots to include all adults ages 18 years and older who received a Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine at least six months after their second dose.

The Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) authorization and CDC’s recommendation for use are critical next steps forward in our country’s booster program – a program which will help provide increased protection against COVID-19 disease and death.

(more)

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s1119-booster-shots.html