Only Crypto Can Beat inflation

Just now, Will B Good said:

????.........Just invested a chunk in the Polkadot (DOT) Parachain slot auction....so hope things keep moving in the right direction!!!!

Me too, Acala and Moonbeam.  i have high hopes; I made a lot doing this with Moonriver in the Kusama parachains.

• Like 1

Inflation numbers are often an illusion. For example, in the basket of goods and products used to assess UK inflation, almost none are relevant to me and how I live. Inflation is a very crude measure of the value of a currency for any one individual, over the short to  medium term and we often don't live long enough for it to be a problem over the longer term. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

Inflation numbers are often an illusion. For example, in the basket of goods and products used to assess UK inflation, almost none are relevant to me and how I live. Inflation is a very crude measure of the value of a currency for any one individual, over the short to  medium term and we often don't live long enough for it to be a problem over the longer term. 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

[Michael Saylor explains inflation]

You have previously said you do not like this guy, so why are you posting videos from him? Do you think he is an authority on inflation and are not tainted by the fact that he is long BTC for several billions?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, lkn said:

You have previously said you do not like this guy, so why are you posting videos from him? Do you think he is an authority on inflation and are not tainted by the fact that he is long BTC for several billions?

You are starting to look like a troll, you are very near being put on my ignore list. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You are starting to look like a troll, you are very near being put on my ignore list. 

I see you reacted with “sad” to my post giving a short description of the iShares MSCI ACWI ETF to someone who is unfamiliar with investing, so yeah, I can see why you think I am trolling, as trolls reveal themselves in these threads by talking about things like productive assets and cash flows…

21 minutes ago, lkn said:

I see you reacted with “sad” to my post giving a short description of the iShares MSCI ACWI ETF to someone who is unfamiliar with investing, so yeah, I can see why you think I am trolling, as trolls reveal themselves in these threads by talking about things like productive assets and cash flows…

These threads are about crypto. You don't invest in crypto, you don't like it, you think it is a scam. I suggest you join a forum about stocks. 

20 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Guess it depends what percentage is now called for as inflation but gold did just fine too with like 10% annually for the past 10-15 years. So that might be nothing compared to Bitcoin but still beats the average inflation by 3 times.

What do you think the average inflation is?

I don't mean what the government tells you. 

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

These threads are about crypto. You don't invest in crypto, you don't like it, you think it is a scam. I suggest you join a forum about stocks. 

Because I own gold since a longer time than I own bitcoin since it was just 900 dollars, you suggest a lot of things that bore me. The point is clearly that the headline is nonsense, many things beat inflation.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You are posting in the “Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments” forum.

Stop posting here if you don’t want to see informed investors comment and instead use the “Cryptocurrency News”  section which was made for people like you, and where you will not find me commenting on anything!

14 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Because I own gold since a longer time than I own bitcoin since it was just 900 dollars, you suggest a lot of things that bore me. The point is clearly that the headline is nonsense, many things beat inflation.

Correct. In fact, even a treasure bond will beat inflation, it's what it is designed to do.

The actual article says, differently from the title, that crypto is the "best", not the "only", investment to beat inflation. Which may or may not be true, depending on when you look at it, what time range, etc. Some stocks have been doing egregiously too, beating the most established cryptos over a period of time.

The point is that, like everything in financial markets, there will be infinite claims in one direction, and infinite in the opposite direction. Personally, I envy those clever or lucky enough to start their crypto investments many years ago. I started about one year ago, overall I am pleased, but I am wary that it's very volatile and also that the rules of the game might change. I try to keep crypto at 35% of my total investments. If it vanishes with a puff I won't be broke.

btw, ETH and BTC down 8% last 24 hours after a wonderful rally in the previous weeks. DOT even worse.

• Like 1

I sold all of my Krugerrands recently, after hodling for just over 4 years, for a 51% return. Not too shabby!

I have staked the proceeds into owning more crypto, as the upside is infinitely better than gold, in my opinion.

The two main cryptos, Bitcoin and Ethereum, by being part of the crypto ecosystem, are prone to the volatile gyrations in price as part of the feedback loop from the thousands of other rats and mice out there. One should not be destracted by this.

If you can hold your nerve (strong, or diamond hands), then the rewards for Btc/Eth are likely to be immense, going forward, and beat the pants off gold. I have been in Btc since the summer of 2019, a bit late to the game, but am showing about 350% gross, (before opportunity costs), so am quite relaxed about it.

Michael Saylor is the most erudite and lucid proponent of Bitcoin out there.  If you are prepared to listen to all of the techno-talk, he's your boy!  Daily videos from Trader University are well worth watching; Matthew is a bitcoin maximalist, very easy to listen to.

I do like Mr Wonderful, he talks a lot of sense, in my view. However, he is a Johnny-come-lately, and is not yet steeped in crypto. But he'll get there!